• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Date Submariner eta2824

Laiweg

Horology Curious
8/7/19
I have a replica submariner with eta2824-2 mechanism, but the date does not look like the original. What can be done about this? Replace date ring? And where to get it?

Photo of my watch:
svjTK7E-GHY.jpg

Last edited:

DavidModic

13/9/15
EU
Yes, this looks like regular ETA font. You can buy a “DWO” (date wheel overlay) either here or on ebay and then glue it onto the existing date wheel. You will need to open up the watch, decase it, remove the hands, remove the dial, glue the DWO on, adjust it and do all of the above backwards :). There are several topics on this forum on how to adjust the DWO properly (in the tech section). This is not too expensive, even TC DWO is only $20 or so.

kind Regards,
David

Reactions: Spoons

Laiweg

Horology Curious
8/7/19
Yes, this looks like regular ETA font. You can buy a “DWO” (date wheel overlay) either here or on ebay and then glue it onto the existing date wheel. You will need to open up the watch, decase it, remove the hands, remove the dial, glue the DWO on, adjust it and do all of the above backwards :). There are several topics on this forum on how to adjust the DWO properly (in the tech section). This is not too expensive, even TC DWO is only $20 or so.

kind Regards,
David

Please, a link where to buy on ebay and instructions on the forum. I can’t find it on ebay, I need an option, there are a lot of them. And if not difficult, tell me who sells this on the forum

Last edited:

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Please, a link where to buy on ebay and instructions on the forum. I can’t find it on ebay, I need an option, there are a lot of them. And if not difficult, tell me who sells this on the forum

Wow you're using the imperative a lot and are not even taking 2s to thank DavidModic who took the time to answer you.

Any chance you can be less rude?

Seriously who and where do you think you are?

DavidModic

13/9/15
EU

I understand that you are in a bind, and obviously we all think our problems are always most pressing, but there are, literally, hundreds of thousands of users on this forum with tens of thousands of active users. The way one responds to posts could quickly be seen as entitled or requiring more handholding than warranted. There, rant over :).

I am not sure whether this will work for you, but these are two ok options:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Date...=223117974483c734e6d746144393b880be396adfd7d9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-DATE-DISC-WHEEL-OVERLAY-FOR-ETA2836-DG-MIYOTA-FIT-116610-ROLEX-3135-WATCH/143004512274?hash=item214bbbb012:g:

At this moment no-one is selling a TC overlay in this forum. Thomas Cadell, the maker of the legendary TC subs hasn’t been active for years, so the source of the TC dwo’s has dried up, but they periodically show up in the sales threads. I have one in my parts drawer but am keeping it for future use. If memory serves I paid $25 for it. Feel free to visit the trading section and refresh it ;). Something might turn up. “Want to buy” section never worked for me, but ymmv.

The problem is, in my opinion somewhere else - I know nothing about your particular 116610LV rep. The dimensions might be wrong or the date window aligned differently from other reps. I cannot tell from the photo, others might, but I am reluctant to bother them on your behalf. I am not an authority on rolexes although I have several reps. The five digit explorer II kit that I bought from yuki, for example, does not have the date window location that all my other rolex reps have - the dwo does not fit that rep. That is why I am saying I am unsure about your particular SubC.

The regular ETA dw should be even more off-centre on a proper dimensioned SubC, seems to me. Which means that overlays that I am proposing might not fit either. The simplest solution would be to buy them and check. We have all done that before. Often :). The number of dw’s and dwo’s in my parts drawer is simply ridiculous.

The other solution is to buy different eta 2836 datewheels and try them on - Rolex has more rounded numbers than ETA (especially 6 and 9 are clearly different. They are also different depending on age of gen watch. The older rollies have the so called open 6 an 9’s). If the dimensions are correct and the position of the date window is as per gen, then it is simpler to use the overlay than to install the datewheel. Neither is horribly complicated but installing the full dw is fiddly. See for example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=khhLXdaPM_Y

As far as gluing the DWO on, here is the link to the forum topic: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...gn-template-for-eta-2836-2824-rolex-3135-3035

I had to use the search function for this. In the future, so could you :).

Regards,

David

Reactions: Laiweg and Spoons

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
DW does look ETA location to me .....

Rheinischerjung

24/11/18
I can offer you a 2824 DWO from my ARF Submariner. Just send me a pm. If we find a solution I can male a reserved offer in the m2m area.

Spoons

Supporter
Certified
21/4/19
You should also be aware that you may run into issues installing a DWO on an ETA 2824. Most of the DWOs that you will find are listed as being compatible with ETA 2836, because the clearance between the datewheel ring and the back of the dial is larger on the ETA 2836 so that it can accommodate the additional thickness of the DWO without having the DWO rub on the back of the dial. On an ETA 2824, you may have to use a larger dial spacer to accommodate the additional thickness of the DWO, which can then cause issues with clearance between the hands and the front of the dial/dial markers if your ETA 2824 does not already have a larger H4 conversion kit installed.

Ken at rafflesdials.com has a selection of DWOs and in my experience Ken has been great to deal with.

In any case, best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidModic

DavidModic

13/9/15
EU
DW does look ETA location to me .....
Raddave , that is very helpful, thanks. Do you have any idea where one could buy a more rolex like datewheel that fits 2836 with the ETA position? I looked through Ken’s offerings and also never had any luck on eBay. As mentioned before, I have an explorer II with eta date position and am quite unhappy with the incorrect date wheel font. I am not exactly hijacking this thread as I am sure the OP would also like to know this :)...

Thanks in advance!
D.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Raddave , that is very helpful, thanks. Do you have any idea where one could buy a more rolex like datewheel that fits 2836 with the ETA position? I looked through Ken’s offerings and also never had any luck on eBay. As mentioned before, I have an explorer II with eta date position and am quite unhappy with the incorrect date wheel font. I am not exactly hijacking this thread as I am sure the OP would also like to know this :)...

Thanks in advance!
D.

Not exactly rolex , but you can search ebay for vintage 2836 parts some of them have some fancy font DW which dont look half bad

DavidModic

13/9/15
EU
Not exactly rolex , but you can search ebay for vintage 2836 parts some of them have some fancy font DW which dont look half bad
Thank you, will do! I have looked before and bought some of those - currently I have an old champagne datewheel from ETA 2802 on it, but the fonts are way off. I will look again though. Your help is really appreciated @Raddave.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Thank you, will do! I have looked before and bought some of those - currently I have an old champagne datewheel from ETA 2802 on it, but the fonts are way off. I will look again though. Your help is really appreciated @Raddave.

Thats what i did for my old MBW eta YM

Laiweg

Horology Curious
8/7/19
I understand that you are in a bind, and obviously we all think our problems are always most pressing, but there are, literally, hundreds of thousands of users on this forum with tens of thousands of active users. The way one responds to posts could quickly be seen as entitled or requiring more handholding than warranted. There, rant over :).

I am not sure whether this will work for you, but these are two ok options:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Date...=223117974483c734e6d746144393b880be396adfd7d9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-DATE-DISC-WHEEL-OVERLAY-FOR-ETA2836-DG-MIYOTA-FIT-116610-ROLEX-3135-WATCH/143004512274?hash=item214bbbb012:g:

At this moment no-one is selling a TC overlay in this forum. Thomas Cadell, the maker of the legendary TC subs hasn’t been active for years, so the source of the TC dwo’s has dried up, but they periodically show up in the sales threads. I have one in my parts drawer but am keeping it for future use. If memory serves I paid $25 for it. Feel free to visit the trading section and refresh it ;). Something might turn up. “Want to buy” section never worked for me, but ymmv.

The problem is, in my opinion somewhere else - I know nothing about your particular 116610LV rep. The dimensions might be wrong or the date window aligned differently from other reps. I cannot tell from the photo, others might, but I am reluctant to bother them on your behalf. I am not an authority on rolexes although I have several reps. The five digit explorer II kit that I bought from yuki, for example, does not have the date window location that all my other rolex reps have - the dwo does not fit that rep. That is why I am saying I am unsure about your particular SubC.

The regular ETA dw should be even more off-centre on a proper dimensioned SubC, seems to me. Which means that overlays that I am proposing might not fit either. The simplest solution would be to buy them and check. We have all done that before. Often :). The number of dw’s and dwo’s in my parts drawer is simply ridiculous.

The other solution is to buy different eta 2836 datewheels and try them on - Rolex has more rounded numbers than ETA (especially 6 and 9 are clearly different. They are also different depending on age of gen watch. The older rollies have the so called open 6 an 9’s). If the dimensions are correct and the position of the date window is as per gen, then it is simpler to use the overlay than to install the datewheel. Neither is horribly complicated but installing the full dw is fiddly. See for example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=khhLXdaPM_Y

As far as gluing the DWO on, here is the link to the forum topic: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...gn-template-for-eta-2836-2824-rolex-3135-3035

I had to use the search function for this. In the future, so could you :).

Regards,

David

Thank you very much.