• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NOOB YM 904 QC - Question

MrBobDobbs

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/7/19
Hey everyone, I understand the rules about posting QC pictures. I am however new to the rep game. I work with a lot of people that wear gen Rolex watches. I know it may also be beneficial to mod this watch in the future, which was why I ordered the NOOB version...
  1. I want to know your opinion about SEL's on this watch I bought. They don't seem very tight.
  2. Also, the rivet that is in the center of the second hand seems very rough.
  3. The Rolex crown that is engraved on the rehaut is also not centered, but it seems like it is not always center on gen either. Would you be concerned?
oXwN0f5

Last edited:

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Welcome to RWI McBoobers. That watch is definitely suffering from “rough rivet” syndrome which is an instant tell under a highly magnified jeweler loupe. It’s a good thing you caught that. In fact, I suspect that this watch is a Chinese-made replica of a infinitely more expensive Rolex Yacht-Master. You are right to be concerned since you will be paying $8,000 + for this watch. Good catch buddy.

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
What is the weight of this watch?

The real tell is the weight and yes that rivet is very very bad. So very bad. Extremely bad. Bad bad.

Sent from my Noob v9.5

Reactions: tripdog and Tucker

MrBobDobbs

4/7/19
Tucker Haha. Good one. I appreciate that it is not gen...just when looking at some of the other YM reps from other factories the rivet looks much cleaner. Obviously not a deal breaker.

xj4sonx I will ask about the weight. I guess the hands can be fixed eventually once I swap the movement and install gen hands.

JMK

13/2/18
SELs are the real reason to reject this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
The expectations people have for a chinese fake watch are amazing.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
what movement does it have ?

MrBobDobbs

4/7/19
Raddave It currently has a SA3135 and know that is not conducive to gen parts...In the future I plan to swap the movement to a SH3135/YUKI/VR3135 so I can mod it further with gen hands, insert, etc...Unless of course, someone thinks I should go another route! I am still learning. Thanks!!!!

MrBobDobbs

4/7/19
One other thing I noticed was the alignment of the bezel is off quite a bit. After looking at the dealer website their stock photo also shows the bezel alignment off.

Can this be fixed later? Like I mentioned I do not have any problem modding this watch once I receive it. Still learning from this forum. Thank you for everyone's advice!!!

upload

Saul Goodman

Supporter
20/1/19
Germany
correct me if i am wrong but i thought sa3135 would accept gen parts like dial and hands. the only problem is with most gen movement parts.
Also there is the possibility that this has the new sa3135 (which is as far as i know a vr3135) in it doesnt it?

TheDonSL

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/13
The gap between the bezel and insert is huge on the Noob. The SELs are mediocre and the numbers on the insert are poorly cut. The Arf blows it away...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The gap between the bezel and insert is huge on the Noob. The SELs are mediocre and the numbers on the insert are poorly cut. The Arf blows it away...

I'd be more than delighted if you could show me the gap between the bezel and the insert on this particular watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tucker

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
What is the weight of this watch?

The real tell is the weight and yes that rivet is very very bad. So very bad. Extremely bad. Bad bad.

Sent from my Noob v9.5

This is the FIRST question you should be asking - and don't accept any of that wishy-washy 'about 160 grams' shit - they should give the exact weight - down to 1/10 of a gram.

And that second hand rivet - it's not secure - could give way at any moment.

Reactions: T3RM1N4T0R

MrBobDobbs

4/7/19
DinS I heard the same thing. I asked the dealer about movement and he did not say if it was the new VR3135. It would be nice if I can add gen hands and insert with this same movement without having to change to a Yuki...

TheDonSL One of the main reasons I did not get the VRF was because the NOOB already has the 3135 movement which would make it easier to swap to a SH3135 if I ever needed to...But I could be wrong here. Still learning quite a bit here on this forum.

tripdog Will ask about the exact weight. It appears the rivet issue is across the board on the NOOB. I hope to swap gen hands on ASAP.

I would like to Franken this watch to get as many gen parts as I can over time...

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Can the rough rep rivet be replaced with a smooth gen rivet?

MrBobDobbs

4/7/19
Tucker That would be good to know. For me personally, I am wouldn't mind swapping in gen hands...but not sure exactly when I will be doing that. When looking them up, it looks like the rivet is fixed as it attaches the mounting piece on the seconds hand.