• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex oyster clasp mod

kampachi

Renowned Member
7/1/14
Had some free time today and decided to give my noob v7 sub bracelet a rebrush. However 4 hours was spent modding the clasp and had to finish up the bracelet the tomorrow.

Some has already documented the process and we all know how sharp these noob clasps are. So with the help of some precise fine files, emery paper, and dremel ive managed to chamfer and soften the edges/corners on the clasp. Finished it up with a burgeon abrasive block and it looks great with the gen like satin texture.

Here are some pictures.
e9fd46b78beb39e8562b3dd50155cda1.jpg
a7b56fa4f0dfc3a3559e2e3606388ff7.jpg
47570a38bc29a9b4c94dd82fa5640e82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Awesome work bro, though it deserves a better background than the nasty pile of filing grit/dust to reflect off it.

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Nice work. Did the same with my VRF clasp. I used a Gerryflex „coarse“ abrasive block. „Fine“ works, too depending which grit you want to achieve.
But unfortunately I have something disappointing for you, too. You (and me) did the best possible treatment which can be done by hand. And that‘s the point. The surface turns out very nice but nowhere near gen. The gen clasp is brushed by machine. It‘s impossible to mimic this with any hand brushing method.

Once seen the difference it cannot be unseen. You‘ll be able to spot by miles every gen clasp which has been rebrushed or not.

Greets Andi

Reactions: ssouthall6

hokim

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/19
exactly which edges/corners did you sand?

kampachi

Renowned Member
7/1/14
Nice work. Did the same with my VRF clasp. I used a Gerryflex „coarse“ abrasive block. „Fine“ works, too depending which grit you want to achieve.
But unfortunately I have something disappointing for you, too. You (and me) did the best possible treatment which can be done by hand. And that‘s the point. The surface turns out very nice but nowhere near gen. The gen clasp is brushed by machine. It‘s impossible to mimic this with any hand brushing method.

Once seen the difference it cannot be unseen. You‘ll be able to spot by miles every gen clasp which has been rebrushed or not.

Greets Andi

Thanks.

You are right on the gen like brushing. I have compared with my mates gen clasp and gen has a really fine brush and also the shape of the clasp is somewhat ‘different’. Not even the arf got this right. What we could do is to only mimic the shape as much as possible.

However it very much depends on the lighting too. In daylight and outdoor, the rebrush on my rep feels pretty much the same but under bright flourescent light, thats whr the gen shines. Another trick i learnt was to polish the clasp first (even on the brushed area) and then proceed with the rebrush. That way, the lines are more consistent and refined.

Im pretty satisfied with the result as previously i only did it with a 3m scouring pad which made the lines way too obvious.

Last edited:

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
You‘re right with polishing first.
For achieving gen look we will need a polishing machine, matching felt wheels and polishing compound.
I‘m pretty sure some of our cracks here already did this and know about the right hardware.

Many gens have been rebrushed by hand. Especially before selling them. So noone will call us out with our work. :)

Greets Andi

Reactions: ssouthall6

kampachi

Renowned Member
7/1/14
Some pics with overcast weather. My fav mod would be the scallop polish. PITA process but love how it reflect light on every angle.
50508c6e392bc74df3f6ab68e7970792.jpg
e9c7d1d581be91870bd22a5df4527832.jpg
1f728e3b007d7d7ae896d322ff1f7803.jpg

shortlegs

31/5/19
That's beautiful, and pretty hardcore. I don't think I have the skill nor the patience to do that..

Neo_one

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/3/19
Honestly, hand polished finished when done well like yours looks miles better than gen.
Well done!

up2wind

Supporter
Certified
9/6/19
Bringing up an old post. Anyone to recommend a modder for clasp? Rounding corners?