• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How long do reps last with proper care?

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
pompompurin what is your expert advice on this movement? Just wanted peace of mind. I know its not the best but its already getting shipped to me.

https://jtimestore.net/us/submarine...edition-904l-ss-case-and-bracelet-sa3135.html

also i am thinking for my next watch (hopefully a gmt2 pepsi) to have a 2836-2 movement. Is that a wise choice? I cannot find a yuki/sh3135 anywhere in the TD catalogs for a pepsi. Thnks!!

I am not an expert but i know that some watchmakers avoid servicing SA3135 movements. Not to mention, there are no spare parts for the SA3135 movement. Newcomers shouldn't own a SA3135 watch without knowing its strengths/ flaws. SH3135 movement, on the other hand, is generally decent once serviced and it can use a lot of gen spare parts

as for the gmt2/ pepsi, newcomers should buy the ICHS 2836-2 version. Do not buy the CHS movement version without knowing its weaknesses

CHS = correct handstack
ICHS = incorrect handstack

Reactions: whalejonah

Deeboo

Known Member
26/7/19
Awesome. I will keep that in mind and ask the ICHS from my TD. I only bought the noob v9 thinking since its the latest version it would be better.
If the sa3135 fails, what can i replace it with? I searched yuku/sh3135 and their site is down/gone.
also being a newbie, im assuming there is only one tyle when i mention “2836-2” movement besides ichs

antoktok

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/7/19
Hi, what you bought is the super clone Rolex movement that's prone to failure. Try to go with copy ETA movements such as the A2824, A2836, etc.
If you happen to find a watch smith who deals with reps in the Bay Area, I would love to hear from you.

Enjoy the game!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Regarding on how long they last, I understand that OOTB clone movements are what I would say as low pay & high pray,
but between the A2824 and A2836, which one is considered as more stable/reliable?

I know that they are based on the ETA, where an ETA 2836 has a day & datewheel and 2824 only has date. But since this is a clone, are A2836 more prone to failure since they have a non showing day wheel, which makes this clone movement have to "work more"?

Edit: the ETA 2836 which I am talking about is the one used in the famous Submariner noob V9, hence why I said non showing day wheel

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Regarding on how long they last, I understand that OOTB clone movements are what I would say as low pay & high pray,
but between the A2824 and A2836, which one is considered as more stable/reliable?

I know that they are based on the ETA, where an ETA 2836 has a day & datewheel and 2824 only has date. But since this is a clone, are A2836 more prone to failure since they have a non showing day wheel, which makes this clone movement have to "work more"?

Edit: the ETA 2836 which I am talking about is the one used in the famous Submariner noob V9, hence why I said non showing day wheel

There is no daywheel in A2836's that do not show one so the movement actually works less than it normally would if there was a daywheel. Also, there should be no noticeable difference in reliability or lifespan of an A2836 vs an A2824. Both will run better and longer with a service of course but it makes as much sense to just let them run til they die and install a gen ETA if you are going to keep the watch.

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
New to the rep game. Wanting to know how long to reasonably expect reps to last? And what car should it receive (maintenance) aside from keeping it away from water. Thanks! Primarily interested in Sub and Gmt2 longevity

Depends what watch you are looking for? To start off, a three handed watch with an ETA will be super reliable with parts that are easy to find, and many rep friendly watchsmiths could fix should they go wrong (if ever)

Honestly I have never had one watch for more than 6 months or so, but I have gone through many, many watches since I started. Maybe an issue here and there with a chrono not resetting to zero, but for the most part every watch was just fine.

The actual materials the watch is made with should last you many, many years (considering you do not get a gold plated watch) and waterproof tests can be done by some dealers. Otherwise you can pay a watchsmith to test it for you.

VaderTime

9/10/17
Also, does anyone know is it better to leave the watch on an automatic winder or leave it sitting when not in use?

seeseoh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/19
It's hard to say, depending on your habits and where you live. But it's all about luck actually lol

Reactions: VaderTime

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Also, does anyone know is it better to leave the watch on an automatic winder or leave it sitting when not in use?

Generaly, an engine that don't work is an engine that doesn't have wear on its' parts.
Now, if it's gonna work when you remember it or its' ship yard grade grease will cover everything has to do with the quality of building and servicing.
This is why it's always recomented to have your watch rebuilted and serviced even before it's first winding.

Don't misunderstand this, rep watches are not intentially been built the wrong way. Their production and assembly taking place under the pressure of time, the law etc.
It's an easy call for anyone that controls such a production, choosing to provide a collection of parts that they are difficult to be created from us instead of risking production
to achieve perfect assembly and timing..
Having a professional watch smith is far more easy when you have the watch in your hands.

Have in mind that the more hi beat an engine has, the more care will need.
A 28800vph is less durable than a 21600 that is less durable than a 18500 etc.

Enjoy this hobby guys and please understand that a "fake watch" is an object that imitates a watch.
A rep is a functional watch that works and has a fake brand on it.

Many friends say that "i can't use the term <a fake branded watch> cause is too much to write it every time" , thats the reason "replica" or "rep" words exist.
Using the "fake watch" phrase make you look like someone that don't aproove this hobby and its' philosophy.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaderTime

VaderTime

9/10/17
It's hard to say, depending on your habits and where you live. But it's all about luck actually lol
very well then, is there any watch smith classes that I can attend lol

Generaly, an engine that don't work is an engine that doesn't have wear on its' parts.
Now, if it's gonna work when you remember it or its' ship yard grade grease will cover everything has to do with the quality of building and servicing.
This is why it's always recomented to have your watch rebuilted and serviced even before it's first winding.

Don't misunderstand this, rep watches are not intentially been built the wrong way. Their production and assembly taking place under the pressure of time, the law etc.
It's an easy call for anyone that controls such a production, choosing to provide a collection of parts that they are difficult to be created from us instead of risking production
to achieve perfect assembly and timing..
Having a professional watch smith is far more easy when you have the watch in your hands.

Have in mind that the more hi beat an engine has, the more care will need.
A 28800vph is less durable than a 21600 that is less durable than a 18500 etc.

Enjoy this hobby guys and please understand that a "fake watch" is an object that imitates a watch.
A rep is a functional watch that works and has a fake brand on it.

Many friends say that "i can't use the term <a fake branded watch> cause is too much to write it every time" , thats the reason "replica" or "rep" words exist.
Using the "fake watch" phrase make you look like someone that don't aproove this hobby and its' philosophy.

Nicely said, and thank you! I have send my watch to service after receiving it every time, and when the watch is not on my wrist, I always leave it in a winder. For gen watches I have no issue leaving it in the winder for weeks or month, but for a serviced rep movement I assume that I have to count on luck lol

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
I think that if there is something wrong your watch smith will inform you. No need to worry.