• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How long do reps last with proper care?

Deeboo

Known Member
26/7/19
New to the rep game. Wanting to know how long to reasonably expect reps to last? And what car should it receive (maintenance) aside from keeping it away from water. Thanks! Primarily interested in Sub and Gmt2 longevity

Reactions: CollectorAtHeart

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
First, welcome.

Longevity of rep watches is really "luck of the draw". I have some that last for years and just as many, if not more, that die within months. Service your rep if you want to extend its life. In general, keep watch from hard strike/vibration and follow proper steps for quick-setting dates, same as gen.

Another thing, I have had bad luck with reps running SH3135 and A7750 movements (1 out of 4 running after 6 months). However, many people have better luck, so don't take my words and read about them - form your own opinion.

LKHBz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/4/18
I've had various NOOB watches with the A2XXX movements in them and they have seemed to be reliable. I do have them serviced about after a year of owning them. I don't go diving with them even though they have been pressure tested by my watchsmith during service. I also clean them regularly with a micro-fibre cloth with soap and water.

Since you're new to the game, I would try to stay away from the new SH3XXX cloned movements since multiple users have had issues with it and the complexity of the service can run you a bit steep.

If you think you'll be in this game for awhile, see if you can mind a watchsmith here or a trusted local one. They are a great aid to this hobby.

Deeboo

Known Member
26/7/19
Thanks so much for the insight. Greatly appreciated. Im very excited as I just purchased my first rep from a TD which is the Sub 116610 with “Asian Super Clone 3135 Automatic Movement at 28800 vph”. Not sure if that is the “SH” designation you spoke about. Is it?
Mainly asking because not sure if i should buy another one or two or space it out say once every year.

Deeboo

Known Member
26/7/19
By the way it was a NOOB V9. Im very excited. Will have to find a reliable watch place in the bay area (CA).

centrum

27/7/14
Hi, what you bought is the super clone Rolex movement that's prone to failure. Try to go with copy ETA movements such as the A2824, A2836, etc.
If you happen to find a watch smith who deals with reps in the Bay Area, I would love to hear from you.

Enjoy the game!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

MrBrock

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/6/07
If you can afford it or prepared to pay the money, you can get a Rep watch fitted with a genuine Swiss movement. Upgrade the crystal and you can end up with a watch that will last for decades.
I use to buy 2 or 3 $400 watches for a few years but sold them all off over the last few months. All of them had obvious flaws and at the end of the day, I don't need or want 12 fake watches.
I bought a Noob V8 in gold and steel from BK's Watch Garage with all his mods, correcting basic faults and fitting a Swiss movement. I now wear this watch as a daily and it's absolutely perfect.
I'd rather three expensive quality reps than a dozen average beaters. If you chose to go down this route, budget for around $900-$1000 per watch. Every bit as good as a $2500.00 Quartz Tag Heuer!

garybad123

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/3/19
If you can afford it or prepared to pay the money, you can get a Rep watch fitted with a genuine Swiss movement. Upgrade the crystal and you can end up with a watch that will last for decades.
I use to buy 2 or 3 $400 watches for a few years but sold them all off over the last few months. All of them had obvious flaws and at the end of the day, I don't need or want 12 fake watches.
I bought a Noob V8 in gold and steel from BK's Watch Garage with all his mods, correcting basic faults and fitting a Swiss movement. I now wear this watch as a daily and it's absolutely perfect.
I'd rather three expensive quality reps than a dozen average beaters. If you chose to go down this route, budget for around $900-$1000 per watch. Every bit as good as a $2500.00 Quartz Tag Heuer!

Does BK do custom orders? Or is it a case of choosing from what he has at the time?

rollie

Horology Curious
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
21/8/12
I have cheap Rolex replicas that endured 10+ years with zero care!

Last edited:

rollie

Horology Curious
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
21/8/12
on the other hand, I have pricey TOP reps that stopped running with 2 months of use...

Deeboo

Known Member
26/7/19
Oh i see. Wish I knew about the “A” series movements. I didnt see it as the option when selecting the sub. Figured since it is the newest iteration that it would be the best. Where would I be able to just buy the swiss eta by iteslf?

lucyg00se

Known Member
4/4/18
I have an old "beginmariner" from the old days of collecting with a2813. I bought in 2008. Never serviced and still running strong.

Reactions: Jammydodger79

Deeboo

Known Member
26/7/19
I sure hope this one lasts me a while. I’ll look for the trustier movements from now on. Ive searched the inventory of all the TDs and all of them had asian clones. Guess i’ll have to ask the TD for a specific swiss eta. From anyone’s experience, can a rep movement be repaired? And if not, where would i find a replacement. I read Clark is the place to go for a new crystal

Deeboo

Known Member
26/7/19
By the way, i searched and searched but cannot find the site for BK’s watch garage here. Kindly share please

Neverandy

Horology Curious
21/7/18
By the way, i searched and searched but cannot find the site for BK’s watch garage here. Kindly share please

Go to “trusted dealers” on this site. BK is listed there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
if the 116610 or 116710 rep runs on an eta clone (e.g., ARF 2824-2 or Noob 2836-2 or ICHS 2836-2 for the 117610), then i would say it's generally 3+ years.
If you put a brand new eta in the rep (not some eBay random ETA), then i would say 10+ years. The eta design, clone or original, is bulletproof