• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Squeleton 4130 Daytona

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
How the hell has this happened so quickly. Fair play for even attempting this! Rotor looks sweet. R.i.p balance bridge

Reactions: Micasol

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
It makes me laugh when the IG pages try to advertise Artisans de Geneve as some kind of breakthrough company with their "La Montoya", by preaching their "Swiss craftsmanship", while a guy armed with a dremel and a load of passion managed to go this far alone in his home. it's gonna be a unique piece

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
How the hell has this happened so quickly. Fair play for even attempting this! Rotor looks sweet. R.i.p balance bridge

Thanks bro, agreed with you, sad for this poor balance bridge, but was for something bigger than him

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
If you think about it what they did with that daytona was just redrawing the parts of the movement with a CNC machine and then re-assembling them together. The Op has done everything by hand. it's amazing

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
It makes me laugh when the IG pages try to advertise Artisans de Geneve as some kind of breakthrough company with their "La Montoya", by preaching their "Swiss craftsmanship", while a guy armed with a dremel and a load of passion managed to go this far alone in his home. it's gonna be a unique piece

Correct, at least their will be 4 of those ones,
One on SH but with most gen parts movement
3 on full gen 4130
Will of course keep one with me, the first on gen movement, the one in those pics.

Next news by end of this week, tomorrow will be off, and I have made a big command of gen parts needed for all of them, so time to have them now.

On Wednesday will made some corrections here and there, clean perfectly all of those to be ready for final assembly.

Reactions: Fiatstronz0

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
If you think about it what they did with that daytona was just redrawing the parts of the movement with a CNC machine and then re-assembling them together. The Op has done everything by hand. it's amazing

Sorry but that is not true, they have independents in Switzerland working on individual hand made components.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Sorry but that is not true, they have independents in Switzerland working on individual hand made components.

sure, they of course do the final finishing by hand, but you wanna tell me that they hand carve the singular parts from a block of steel? they surely design the parts to be cut with some cad and 3d software, and then cut the metal with machines and then they refine the single pieces by hand, there is nothing "crazy" about that like they want you to believe.

Last edited:

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
sure, they of course do the final finishing by hand, but you wanna tell me that they hand carve the singular parts from a block of steel? they surely design the parts to be cut with some cad and 3d software, and then cut the metal with machines and then they refine the single pieces by hand, there is nothing "crazy" about that like they want you to believe.

Thats not how these watches are made. It's a deconstructed 4130 each part is skeletonised and bevelled by hand. The balance bridge was made by an independent watchmaker.

johnandtonic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/2/14
UK
Amazing work Micasol. The process of cutting out (making skeleton) results in the individual components weighing less and not being as ridged. When rebuilding the movement do you have to do something different to make it run smoothly or is it the same as a non-skeleton movement

hologramet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/6/13
Micasol... Amazing.. But how will the rotor wind the autowind-module with the lowering of its mass?

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
OP, how many hours have you spent on this? Your craftsmanship is superb

Thanks bro,
At this moment have spent near 60 hours on it, and I probably spent many mores on it. What’s cool more I spent time on it more I improved skills and grow my knowledge on this kind of job I never done before.

Reactions: p0pperini

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
Amazing work Micasol. The process of cutting out (making skeleton) results in the individual components weighing less and not being as ridged. When rebuilding the movement do you have to do something different to make it run smoothly or is it the same as a non-skeleton movement

Thanks bro, nope it’s same as a fat 4130, only assembly job is slightly different, should be more difficult due to squeleton bridges and parts.

CarlosFFF

25/6/13
Micasol... Amazing.. But how will the rotor wind the autowind-module with the lowering of its mass?

This is an interesting opportunity to employ some physics.

A swinging pendulum generates greater energy in a rotation when it has a larger moment of inertia. The equation for moment of inertia is an integral which, when analyzed, will explain that the majority of the pendulum's moment of inertia comes from the mass towards the perimeter of its diameter. That is to say: as long as the perimeter of the pendulum is weighted, it actually becomes easier for the pendulum to swing (though there is less energy per swing), and the majority of the mass being removed from the center portion means the energy decrement per swing is minimal. It will work just fine.

And they said I'd never use my physics degree....

Last edited:

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14

In fact this is a physical problem, rotor winding with a mass that’s on it’s top, inertial movement and weight of it make it turns, parts I have cut is not the mass of the rotor, but more a decorative one, technically here to make rotor perfectly aligned vertically, you could also adjust it to avoid any gridding on bridges. To resume I didn’t cut the mass, and as I cut this part, transfers of mass will be more important on mass rotor itself, gain of energy on the top mass because no more parasites metals between bottom and top, Hope you have understood my explanation.
In fact the real problem is not if the mass will be enough, but if the rotor mass will not gridding on bridges, due to loss of vertical stability.

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
This is an interesting opportunity to employ some physics.

A swinging pendulum generates greater energy in a rotation when it has a larger moment of inertia. The equation for moment of inertia is an integral which, when analyzed, will explain that the majority of the pendulum's moment of inertia comes from the mass towards the perimeter of its diameter. That is to say: as long as the perimeter of the pendulum is weighted, it actually becomes easier for the pendulum to swing (though there is less energy per swing), and the majority of the mass being removed from the center portion means the energy decrement per swing is minimal. It will work just fine.

And they said I'd never use my physics degree....

Exactly what have previously said, thanks bro your explanation is clearer and better than mine,

Last edited:

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
On this morning have some time to work on the squeleton, and when I saw the mainplate on this morning, I concluded was too fat, so have made some modifications on it and some slight finishing job

8c29d415424438e920a34bc54f2209fc.jpg
9ba31ee242f055848f1fdb1ae00d2c21.jpg

As I wrote previously, all I could share is not the final result, many little things still remains to be changed,

Reactions: p0pperini