• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Datewheels: How is this so difficult?

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
So, small rant. I've been around the rep world long enough to see something is really wrong with how factories make Datewheels.

They manage to get so many more complex aspects right, down to such intricate and delicate details. Dial work, rehaut finishing, careful brushing etc.

Yet, for some reason, it seems to be an impossible dream to get a "font" right on a datewheel.

Let's forget the magnification for a second. And think about why getting the correct font remains a Herculean task.

Sounds like good business acumen to me. Purposefully leave a huge flaw i.e. leave a lot of room for people to come back and purchase the next version.

Please educate me if I missed something. I am still learning and would love to hear and learn from others!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cpd2186

shortlegs

31/5/19
I think several experts on the forums have said the factories are not interested in making super reps for the really popular models. They want to milk as for as much and as long as they could. Guess the strategy works, cos people are still buying them in droves.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
IMO i think what it is , is we are a very small part of the rep world , and most ppl wont notice or even care about DW font , so they sell anyway .....

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
IMO i think what it is , is we are a very small part of the rep world , and most ppl wont notice or even care about DW font , so they sell anyway .....
That's what I thought as well initially. But when I see people vote on something being a good rep, or when QC is being done, all eyes generally go towards the datewheel.

Two major tells everyone looks for is the crown (3D enough or not) and the datewheel. The latter being the easiest tell.

I totally see your point though that it's a niche thing to pick at in general. And I also get that most people don't exactly get the reps for the sheer perfect quality.

We're just a small lot who care about very fine details and maybe have a tonne of OCD

Reactions: cpd2186

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Most rep models will accept gen datewheels these days. No big deal. Just buy a gen DW and be done with it. Problem solved.
I get what you mean. At least they have the possibility of replacing with a gen datewheel.

It definitely would be a bonus if they got something more reasonable wrong as a flaw, like the dial colour (sunburst is hard, for example).

The datewheel seems such a copout. Meh. Would have also been nice not to immediately franken a watch because of a blinding flaw.

Last edited:

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Here maybe , on the street , most ppl look at the sweep , and the weight , from my observation
That's a rad point, Dave!

(Still salty though lmao)

Last edited:

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Trust me, we all have shared your frustration. But if you look at the overall picture and how much better the reps are today, you just learn to deal with it. Reps today are cheaper and better than they were a decade ago.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
@BMW760:

I definitely appreciate your perspective mate. I don't mean to sound like an ungrateful bastard. I truly am astounded by the quality and savings that reps allow plebians to witness.

I still do feel like when someone pays over $500 there should be some standard when it comes to a huge detail like the datewheel.

I think as consumers we can encourage factories to keep innovating and getting better by providing constructive criticism :)

Last edited:

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Back in the days a WM9 sub was twice that much, and no where close to the finish product we have today. Trust me, we are far ahead of the game now at much cheaper prices.

Last edited:

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
I don't get why so many think OCD is a humorous thing, you do know it's regarded as a mental illness don't you?

I prefer to enjoy my watches rather than look for imperfections that may annoy me for no purposeful reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and TESLA760

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I dont subscribe to the built in flaw conspiracy threory.

1. Repeat business will account for so little it would never be part of any business plan. Most people who buy reps are not members of this site, and won’t buy multiple versions of the same thing because that would be wierd.

2. The cost of swapping in a decent date wheel is less than the cost of a new rep.

It happens just because they don’t see the differences like we do - it would be like asking one of us to recognise the differences between one Chinese font and another Chinese font. I say this as someone who has worked with Chinese production people.

Last edited:

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19

1. Repeat business will account for so little it would never be part of any business plan. Most people who buy reps are not members of this site, and won’t buy multiple versions of the same thing because that would be wierd.

2. The cost of swapping in a decent date wheel is less than the cost of a new rep.

It happens just because they don’t see the differences like we do - it would be like asking one of us to recognise the differences between one Chinese font and another Chinese font. I say this as someone who has worked with Chinese production people.
Thanks for the different perspective, muiramas. I totally didn't see it that way. You're definitely correct in the idea that it's a niche thing to look over. And I totally respect that you worked with people from the source! That's really cool!

It does however make me wonder how the Datewheels for brands like the omega Seamaster 150m 8500-8900 series or the IWC Ingeniuer stays so accurate and consistent.

If the datewheel was an aspect that was negligible to a degree, there would be a wide enough margin of error (fatness/boldness/wrong font) comparable to that of Rolexes in the example of the Omega Seamaster 150m series.

I definitely agree with the idea that it makes business sense to not be as picky with details in popular models such as the Rolexes because demand is so high, and customers could, if they wanted to, swap in a gen datewheel should they be picky about a gen-like datewheel.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19

When they have a genuine sample to refer to, as well as pictures of the gen online, it shouldn't be too difficult to see the difference between and extremely fat font and one that looks think and crisp.

2 cents

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I wonder how long it takes a rep factory to use up its inventory of wrong-font Rolex DW?
It is more likely that the factory's DW supplier is too lazy to re-tool/re-program a more accurate DW, and the factory is content since it doesn't want to pay more for new/better DW. That's how factory works in China, "Oh, you want new? I am charging you more for it."

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
When they have a genuine sample to refer to, as well as pictures of the gen online, it shouldn't be too difficult to see the difference between and extremely fat font and one that looks think and crisp.

2 cents

You’re right. It shouldn’t be, but it is. They just don’t ‘see’ Roman and Arabic fonts like we do and we don’t see Cantonese like them.

Can you tell the difference between traditional and modern Chinese? Doubtful. But to them the difference is night and day.

Combine that with how reps are made and come together, and how much these guys actually care about it and you’ve got a problem which is actually pretty hard to solve.

Last edited:

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
You’re right. It shouldn’t be, but it is. They just don’t ‘see’ Roman and Arabic fonts like we do and we don’t see Cantonese like them.

Can you tell the difference between traditional and modern Chinese? Doubtful. But to them the difference is night and day.

Combine that with how reps are made and come together, and how much these guys actually care about it and you’ve got a problem which is actually pretty hard to solve.

or you could design your own font according to the gen and make an overlay ;)