• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Factory Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
Ken's got some Submariner case back in stock, I just ordered one. Still waiting on my watch though :thumbup:

Will this case back fit with the stock movement or you will change the movement?
Could a vr 3186 movement fit in the bp case?
Thank you

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

japule24

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/11/20
From what I read in this thread, the case back should fit stock movement without any issues.

I'm not so sure about fitting the VR3186 into the BP case... KJ2020 can chime in?

Reactions: cassapanca

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
From what I read in this thread, the case back should fit stock movement without any issues.

I'm not so sure about fitting the VR3186 into the BP case... KJ2020 can chime in?

There is a problem with crown height. Case need to be tapped and redrilled in right position.

Reactions: japule24

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Will this case back fit with the stock movement or you will change the movement?
Could a vr 3186 movement fit in the bp case?
Thank you

People have fit a true clone 3185/6 movement in some 5 digit cases (16570/16710). There are often some challenges like a movement holder, stem height, case grooves, dial and hands compatibility, date wheel horizontal alignment with dial window, etc. All challenges can be overcome to a satisfactory extent if a modder has the skill and the will. I have four BP 16710s, all with 2836 ICHS and this suits me fine. Those movements are rock solid and easy to repair, service, or replace. Handstack is of no consequence to me. I haven't seen the need to try fitting a 3185/6 into one since I also have a gen.

I also greatly prefer the quickset date change feature of the 2836 to the hour jumping date change required with a 3185/6. I've always hated that inconvenience on my gen. It's a steep price to pay for CHS, though with some modding you can achieve both.

Mods for the GMT timebomb

Last edited:
Reactions: cassapanca

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
People have fit a true clone 3185/6 movement in some 5 digit cases (16570/16710). There are often some challenges like a movement holder, stem height, case grooves, dial and hands compatibility, date wheel horizontal alignment with dial window, etc. All challenges can be overcome to a satisfactory extent if a modder has the skill and the will. I have four BP 16710s, all with 2836 ICHS and this suits me fine. Those movements are rock solid and easy to repair, service, or replace. Handstack is of no consequence to me. I haven't seen the need to try fitting a 3185/6 into one since I also have a gen.

I also greatly prefer the quickset date change feature of the 2836 to the hour jumping date change required with a 3185/6. I've always hated that inconvenience on my gen. It's a steep price to pay for CHS, though with some modding you can achieve both.

Mods for the GMT timebomb

Thanks kj

Reactions: KJ2020

japule24

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/11/20
I just got my watch in today and already I love it. The fit and feel of these smaller 5 digits are amazing.

Some observations of the latest batch from BP

- Crown is wrong - two dots...Where to find the correct replacement?
- Bezel feels very gritty and dare I say cheap?...will this break in with time or does it need oil?
- Clasp does have some sharp edges and feels very stiff - should be easy fix with some sand paper.
- I can confirm the LEC and non stick dial print.
- Case back is still thick.

Overall it's a great watch for the money. Thanks for the great info KJ2020!

Reactions: KJ2020

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
I just got my watch in today and already I love it. The fit and feel of these smaller 5 digits are amazing.

Some observations of the latest batch from BP

- Crown is wrong - two dots...Where to find the correct replacement?
- Bezel feels very gritty and dare I say cheap?...will this break in with time or does it need oil?
- Clasp does have some sharp edges and feels very stiff - should be easy fix with some sand paper.
- I can confirm the LEC and non stick dial print.
- Case back is still thick.

Overall it's a great watch for the money. Thanks for the great info KJ2020!

How are the chamfers on the lugs?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
How are the chamfers on the lugs?

Gen on right

Gen-BP-40-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-42-Medium.jpg

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
I honestly am never bothered by the chamfers though.

They do appear to be more exaggerated on those most recent QC pics though. I ordered one just before the current shit show, so who knows when I'll see QC.

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
BP with Clark's AR cyclops crystal

Which Clark crystal I would have to order? Bp crystal has not a diameter like gen, right?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Which Clark crystal I would have to order? Bp crystal has not a diameter like gen, right?

That's correct. It will take a gen spec crystal by using two gaskets, a mod I've done several times. You need to shave the 29.5mm gasket height down to the height of the stock gasket, then fit one inside the other. You can use some UV glue if needed but it's plenty tight without it.

Note: I've never tested for WP, but I don't get my watches near water.

Gen spec on left, BP on right
RDwAX.jpg

Two gaskets
15820905367844.jpg

You can't see the second gasket after insert is installed.
15820904288533.jpg