• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Factory Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Why haven't they repped the gen bezel dimensions and specs to a tee where the inserts are just pressure fitted, It seems silly to me. Is there any rolex rep that has a bezel assembly as per the gen?

Then again it is fun sanding down 1675 xtals, so maybe its for sport.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The WSO Bezel is often named in this thread. Is there a way to fit anWSO Bezel on a BP to put the gen insert perfectly in? Or any other chance to fit the bezel insert perfectly ?

On the BP 16710, the bezel is held on with the 8 sided paper clip. One part of clip fits inside a groove in the bezel and the other side fits under a lip on the round case protrusion that contains the crystal. There is no retaining ring. The retaining ring on the gen serves two purposes - it anchors the crystal gasket to the crystal and case protrusion on the inside, and it provides a mount for the bezel on the outside. Without a retaining ring you can't mount a gen-spec bezel. That's why WSO gen-spec bezels are also offered as kits that include a retaining ring. The BP 16710 case protrusion would have to have the lip milled away to permit a retaining ring to fit. Even then in all likelihood the retaining ring would not fit properly - there would be a gap between it and the case protrusion so the normal placement of crystal gasket, then crystal, then retaining ring over the crystal gasket would not result in a tight fit.

The possible solution to this effort would be to epoxy the retaining ring to the case, then use some kind of fill to occupy the tiny gap. I have actually done this on a BP 16570 case, which is nearly identical to the 16710 case except is already comes with the case protrusion lip missing since its bezel acts a retaining ring. I used two gaskets on it at first and that worked OK. I never tested it for water proofness, but that was never an issue for me as I do not ever get my watches wet. The crystal was on there plenty tight. I later found that a slightly thicker and a much taller gasket could be pressed down into that tiny gap to both occupy the space and mount a gen-spec crystal without issue. Again, it has not been water proof tested but that is not a concern for me. If I can't pop a crystal out by hand (two thumbs on the inside), that's tight enough for me.

Gen-spec bezel, insert and crystal on the BP 16570 below. I have two other WSO bezels with different inserts so I can swap the whole assembly in about a minute to change the look. It's a lot easier and faster to change the bezel and it prevents continued edge damage to the inserts (paint chipping) by leaving the inserts installed.

15991871375786.jpg

The 16710 bezel design is also found on many other 4, 5 and even some cheap 6 digit cartel watches. The octagonal wire can be a royal PITA to get out. On one I had to hammer a jeweler's screwdriver in the gap and then use a needle to coax the end up enough to get some needle nose pliers on it. Fun fun

jvZK1.jpg

juRHJ.jpg

juENo.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
To re-install one of these octagonal wire bezels, the old way was to feed the wire back in one side at a time. This was another PITA because it gets harder to do the further along you get. But I discovered that you can use a strong tape like bracelet finishing tape to hold the wire in its groove in the bezel, then simply place the bezel on the case and cut and slide the tape out. Bracelet tape is perfect for this because it's extremely strong lengthwise, but also very slick on top so it slides out easily. It's adhesive is also relatively weak if not adhered to itself. All desirable qualities are there.

2nOlW.jpg

2nYfS.jpg

2n12Q.jpg

Last edited:

philheat16011992

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/9/20
PIEDMONT ITALY
I just bought a 1675 bp and when I get it I would like to color the bezel with bleach. to remove only that one can with a medical scalpel? alternatively methods to tack it while it is mounted on the clock? Thank you

hlkrbs

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/7/20
Thanks for your nice explanation KJ2020.
looks like we have to wait for a even more gen specific rep of a 16710 to make some easy builds :>

Reactions: KJ2020

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] always forthcoming with info. I’ve learned lots from Your posts. I think I’ll Start tinkering myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkrnrl15

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/20
BP16710 is too different from Jen. What's Frankenbilde missing?

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Any update for the slim caseback?
This poor gmt doesn't deserve to sleep in a box, I need to find her a lovely slim caseback lol.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Take a ticket and get in line

Funny things, i had 2 of them in my cart ready to order but my country wasn't available, the time Ken add it it was out of stock.

Finally found an alternative

Aidy

Known Member
27/8/16
Going to put the all black insert on mine and the thinner caseback won’t hurt

popi2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
12/10/20
So the caseback of this watch creates a real thickness issue. I read about one member who grinded the caseback down and was able to achieve a 12.5mm result. This is great however there would be no room then to have a brushed caseback inner circle as you would be down to the tops of the teeth. I was lucky to have a thinner caseback in my parts drawer and it gave me a 12.5mm result, which I’m happy with as the .3mm difference to gen is in the case, not the caseback. This is the best you can hope for I think, and it is one thing that you must do somehow for this rep to be acceptable. Here’s some wristshots.

Gen-BP-11-Medium.jpg

After the thinner caseback was installed.

Gen-BP-12-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-13-Medium.jpg

Here’s a shot of the original caseback next to the installed replacement.

Gen-BP-36-Medium.jpg

One question: to use a thin caseback is necessary remove or replace rotor or other parts? Thanks for help on my 1675 bp asian 2813