• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Factory Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen

lfarcos

Renowned Member
30/4/16
They look good, and I was seconds away from buying one a few months back. But then I found out about the thick caseback, and I'm tired of hunting for parts. It's so irritating, why did BP make such a mistake?

I have the sane opinion, it’s a shame!!

Moreover, the slim Sub caseback from Kens are sold out, so bad news.

For me, it’s a great issue in this piece

Mopfloyd

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/8/20
Good evening fellas ,
apologies in advance if I’m blatantly missing something but having reviewed everything I can’t find an answer .
Can anyone advise me on setting my BP or is it really common sense and I can’t go wrong ?
Thanks everyone

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Good evening fellas ,
apologies in advance if I’m blatantly missing something but having reviewed everything I can’t find an answer .
Can anyone advise me on setting my BP or is it really common sense and I can’t go wrong ?
Thanks everyone

Crown positions

1 fwd - winding
2 fwd - quickset date
2 back - GMT hand hour jump
3 fwd - hands backward
3 back - hands forward

Avoid using 2 fwd between 10P and 2A local time on watch

Avoid using 3 fwd through a date change

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
I'm looking to change out the bezel on the BP 16710 I got recently from rwatch0. On these BP ones, is it a bezel off and pop-out old insert and clip in new one job? (first time with an insert change). I'm assuming no glueing required?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm looking to change out the bezel on the BP 16710 I got recently from rwatch0. On these BP ones, is it a bezel off and pop-out old insert and clip in new one job? (first time with an insert change). I'm assuming no glueing required?

Bezels are anchored by the 8 sided paper clip so don't try to pry the bezel off. The insert is glued in.

To get the insert out, you can either:

Try to pry it out with a razor blade using the masked off crystal as a fulcrum. If done carefully, the insert can be removed without damage.

Drill or cut into the insert with a dremel blade and dig it out.

Remove the movement, pop the crystal out and pry the insert out from underneath.

I always use 3M tape rings to re-adhere. It may take two, they are very thin. Assess height needs before final press.

Insert diameter is not gen-spec, be careful what you buy. Crystal OD is 30.5, anything less won't fit over the crystal. Many vendors sell 1675 inserts for plexi with ID of 30.2 or so, and advertise they fit on 16710. They don't.

Gen 30.6 / 37.65
BP 30.6 / 36.5

WSO inserts are gen-spec and won't fit without shaving

Vostoks fit, some don't have great numbers. Their all black one is good enough. Sometimes what you get varies a little from what you see.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminium-i....c100892.m5207

This is a Vostok black

15998691461762.jpg

Last edited:

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
I wanted to realign the insert by using some strong tape for get it out (a member used this way a few pages back), do you think this could work or it was just pure luck to get the insert out with some strong tape?

I also have a misaligned crystal, might order a cheap tool from amazon/ebay for do the job.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I wanted to realign the insert by using some strong tape for get it out (a member used this way a few pages back), do you think this could work or it was just pure luck to get the insert out with some strong tape?

I also have a misaligned crystal, might order a cheap tool from amazon/ebay for do the job.

I have on occasion succeeded in getting rep inserts out by sticking Gorilla tape to them and yanking up on it. Doing this repeatedly can lift an edge of the insert up enough to get a razor underneath the outer perimeter. Then you can work your way around, slicing through the glue. Take care not to scratch the bezel rim.

Reactions: Thrasher and SHB

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
Bezels are anchored by the 8 sided paper clip so don't try to pry the bezel off. The insert is glued in.

To get the insert out, you can either:

Try to pry it out with a razor blade using the masked off crystal as a fulcrum. If done carefully, the insert can be removed without damage.

Drill or cut into the insert with a dremel blade and dig it out.

Remove the movement, pop the crystal out and pry the insert out from underneath.

I always use 3M tape rings to re-adhere. It may take two, they are very thin. Assess height needs before final press.

Insert diameter is not gen-spec, be careful what you buy. Crystal OD is 30.5, anything less won't fit over the crystal. Many vendors sell 1675 inserts for plexi with ID of 30.2 or so, and advertise they fit on 16710. They don't.

Gen 30.6 / 37.65
BP 30.6 / 36.5

WSO inserts are gen-spec and won't fit without shaving

Vostoks fit, some don't have great numbers. Their all black one is good enough. Sometimes what you get varies a little from what you see.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminium-i....c100892.m5207

This is a Vostok black

15998691461762.jpg

Thank you so much for such a great and useful response. I would have gone down the route of trying to pry the bezel off!

I've ordered this one from Cousins:

Looks like it should fit - showing 30.6 on the inside, though would the 37.7 outside mean it wouldn't?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you so much for such a great and useful response. I would have gone down the route of trying to pry the bezel off!

I've ordered this one from Cousins:
Z3wsID.png

Looks like it should fit - showing 30.6 on the inside, though would the 37.7 outside mean it wouldn't?

OD is too big, it would need to be shaved 0.2mm.There is not enough room on that one for any shaving, you would eat into the numbers.

Also the 2's are terrible on that one. Many aftermarket Rolex inserts have this exact issue. IDK why, you'd think they would have figured it out by now. The issue is the top curve of the 2 hangs over the base on the left side, the curve is too wide. It's known as the "hanging 2's" issue.

I would try to cancel that order. If you want black, a Vostok is your best bet aside from a BP, who actually makes very good inserts (for being a rep insert).

Last edited:
Reactions: HomeRye

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
I have on occasion succeeded in getting rep inserts out by sticking Gorilla tape to them and yanking up on it. Doing this repeatedly can lift an edge of the insert up enough to get a razor underneath the outer perimeter. Then you can work your way around, slicing through the glue. Take care not to scratch the bezel rim.

Thanks as usual KJ!

Reactions: KJ2020

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
OD is too big, it would need to be shaved 0.2mm.There is not enough room on that one for any shaving, you would eat into the numbers.

Also the 2's are terrible on that one. Many aftermarket Rolex inserts have this exact issue. IDK why, you'd think they would have figured it out by now. The issue is the top curve of the 2 hangs over the base on the left side, the curve is too wide. It's known as the "hanging 2's" issue.

I would try to cancel that order. If you want black, a Vostok is your best bet aside from a BP, who actually makes very good inserts (for being a rep insert).

Ah thanks - makes complete sense. I'll see if I can source the Vostok one. Lol, I also ordered one from Raffles too, but ordered the other one from Cousins since it would arrive much sooner. Just shows, I should do background research prior to ordering anything!! I'll have 2 spare non-fitting black inserts I can add to my watchbox :)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ah thanks - makes complete sense. I'll see if I can source the Vostok one. Lol, I also ordered one from Raffles too, but ordered the other one from Cousins since it would arrive much sooner. Just shows, I should do background research prior to ordering anything!! I'll have 2 spare non-fitting black inserts I can add to my watchbox :)

Here's a gen black insert for comparison. I could open up a ring toss booth at a fair with the extra inserts I have! Live and learn...

15333623586837.jpg

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
Here's a gen black insert for comparison. I could open up a ring toss booth at a fair with the extra inserts I have! Live and learn...

lol - I bet you do :) That black gen insert looks fantastic. Lovely matte colour.

Reactions: KJ2020

hlkrbs

21/7/20
Oh sorry I was on Page 39 writing this answer. It was about the Nembo sale.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
Oh sorry I was on Page 39 writing this answer. It was about the Nembo sale.

Looks like it's still for sale on his listings. You need to email him (including your forum name and location in the email) at [email protected].

This is the photo he was showing.
Z3EGSD.jpg

Plus:

40mm

sapphire crystal

steel bezel

superlume

23j auto movement with working GMT

Vintage Oyster bracelet

Price: ONLY 188$ +15$ fast courier shipping

Last edited:
Reactions: hlkrbs

hlkrbs

21/7/20
The WSO Bezel is often named in this thread. Is there a way to fit anWSO Bezel on a BP to put the gen insert perfectly in? Or any other chance to fit the bezel insert perfectly ?