• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Factory Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
I put a thinner caseback on mine so yeah it was sourced somewhere at some time

Great idea, I found a case back off a scrap YM with a 2824 movement and that fit perfectly!! In fact I had to readjust clasp/strap one hole in cause is was so much thinner.

Before
18453-B66-29-E1-420-C-B91-E-C14-B57-F22282.jpg

After
849-CC960-C2-D4-4706-AE7-F-53-B09125-DE11.jpg

You might remember earlier in this post I mentioned trying to fit a case back from my gen Explorer II 16570 and it was too small for the BP case. I'm wondering now if one of the reasons might be cause ETA movement cases are larger than gen style cases???

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great idea, I found a case back off a scrap YM with a 2824 movement and that fit perfectly!! In fact I had to readjust clasp/strap one hole in cause is was so much thinner.

Before
18453-B66-29-E1-420-C-B91-E-C14-B57-F22282.jpg

After
849-CC960-C2-D4-4706-AE7-F-53-B09125-DE11.jpg

You might remember earlier in this post I mentioned trying to fit a case back from my gen Explorer II 16570 and it was too small for the BP case. I'm wondering now if one of the reasons might be cause ETA movement cases are larger than gen style cases???

Nice one bro! Yes that sounds right about the gen case being smaller.

grohlface

Horology Curious
14/7/18
Has anyone seen the recent posting of BP 16710 CHS with the 2813 movement over on Trusty? The listing claims a thickness of 12.1 mm. I'm wondering if they're using a slimmer caseback this time. It's my understanding that the 2813 is a slower beat movement, so the second hand stutters a bit more than with a 2824 or 2836, but if it's really that slim I might be very tempted to pick one up...

grohlface

Horology Curious
14/7/18
Oops, I apparently haven't read up on this thread and similar questions have already been asked and answered. I got this thread confused with a similar on Repgeek. Apologies for the duplication.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Oops, I apparently haven't read up on this thread and similar questions have already been asked and answered. I got this thread confused with a similar on Repgeek. Apologies for the duplication.

No worries bro. Try one of those new 2813 CHS's for the rest of us! Worst case scenario is you get a slim caseback out of the deal :cool:

Seriously though at least with that case you could throw a DG3804 in when the CHS dies. Probably need a new set of hands but they're under $20. DG's are slower beat movements (6 bps instead of 8) but I can't see that unaided.

Reactions: Thrasher

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
That's the model I reviewed. Click on my link in the first post it goes to the same watch now. The only difference is they show a different dial, which you won't get because the current BP batch is all like the dial I reviewed. Yes it has a thick caseback.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...ust-in-bp-16613lb?p=8128574#post8128574​​​​​​

Did they do a price hike? I was going to buy one of these but now its listed at $368? I thought these were $278?

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
Am I wrong or you were comparing a GEN 16700 to a REP 16710? 16710 REP you show has SEL bracelet meanwhile GEN has not and 16710 can come with or without holes in the case for bracelet.Am I wrong?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Am I wrong or you were comparing a GEN 16700 to a REP 16710? 16710 REP you show has SEL bracelet meanwhile GEN has not and 16710 can come with or without holes in the case for bracelet.Am I wrong?

You are not wrong, the review is gen 16710 to rep 16710.

I tried to make it clear in the review that the gen went through some changes throughout its production cycle, and that the rep had some period incorrect features. All of the features in this rep were found in gen at one point or another, just not all at the same time.

The gen bracelet had HEL until 2000, then it had SEL.

The gen case had lug holes until 2003, then it did not.

SEL and lug holes are a sought after combo, many consider it to be the best of both worlds.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks man :)

One more question if anyone knows. In the past I tried to remove the bezel assembly on these in the past and I couldn't get it back on. Is there an instruction or video somewhere? These GMT bi-directional bezels use a weird retainer ring which is a pita for me.

To remove the bezel you must first remove the insert. It is held on with sticky tape. You can remove the insert by first trying to get a thin non-metal object under it from the crystal side and work your way around it, lifting it up. I have gotten inserts out this way. If that doesn't work, try one of these methods:

1. Decase the movement and heat up the tape to melt the glue (heat is not good for lubricants).

2. Decase the movement and remove the crystal to provide access to push the insert loose from underneath.

Once the insert is removed, you need to find an end of the octagonal wire and pull it free of the retaining ring lip. Unthread the wire from the lip one segment at a time. With the wire out the bezel comes off easily. To re-install it, set it in place and feed an end of the wire into the space between the bezel and the lip. Re-thread the wire a segment at a time and then push the last end under the lip with tweezers or a small screwdriver. This is not too difficult once you know the correct technique.

peterpl

24/7/11
To remove the bezel you must first remove the insert. It is held on with sticky tape. You can remove the insert by first trying to get a thin non-metal object under it from the crystal side and work your way around it, lifting it up. I have gotten inserts out this way. If that doesn't work, try one of these methods:

1. Decase the movement and heat up the tape to melt the glue (heat is not good for lubricants).

2. Decase the movement and remove the crystal to provide access to push the insert loose from underneath.

Once the insert is removed, you need to find an end of the octagonal wire and pull it free of the retaining ring lip. Unthread the wire from the lip one segment at a time. With the wire out the bezel comes off easily. To re-install it, set it in place and feed an end of the wire into the space between the bezel and the lip. Re-thread the wire a segment at a time and then push the last end under the lip with tweezers or a small screwdriver. This is not too difficult once you know the correct technique.

Thanks Mate. I'll be honest its hard for me to picture the bezel removal and install. I got stuck last time and had to send it back to Sead to get it fixed. Been trying to look on Youtube as well with no luck. The reason why I want to do this is because the bezel's on all the 5 digit GMTs feel too loose when rotating. I was going to get a new retainer wire (possibly a gen one) to make the bezel rotation feel more genlike.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks Mate. I'll be honest its hard for me to picture the bezel removal and install. I got stuck last time and had to send it back to Sead to get it fixed. Been trying to look on Youtube as well with no luck. The reason why I want to do this is because the bezel's on all the 5 digit GMTs feel too loose when rotating. I was going to get a new retainer wire (possibly a gen one) to make the bezel rotation feel more genlike.

The bezel on the one I reviewed is quite good, solid feel, tight, good clicks. I noted in my review that it feels and sounds better than my gen (although the gen could stand a new click spring). There is no gen octagonal wire for 5 or 6 digit Rolex GMTs but if you want to make a new, thicker one you can. I did this on a 5 digit Sub where I broke the wire. Just get a roll of 316L wire slightly thicker than the one you have. These wires come in different thicknesses in reps, I replaced a 27 gauge one. You just need to measure with calipers and look up conversion to gauge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-...hash=item464ab2068b:m:mEGMuIAVfriUp3-JD4FZQYA

I'll take some pics next time I have an insert off and tag you.

peterpl

24/7/11
The bezel on the one I reviewed is quite good, solid feel, tight, good clicks. I noted in my review that it feels and sounds better than my gen (although the gen could stand a new click spring). There is no gen octagonal wire for 5 or 6 digit Rolex GMTs but if you want to make a new, thicker one you can. I did this on a 5 digit Sub where I broke the wire. Just get a roll of 316L wire slightly thicker than the one you have. These wires come in different thicknesses in reps, I replaced a 27 gauge one. You just need to measure with calipers and look up conversion to gauge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-...hash=item464ab2068b:m:mEGMuIAVfriUp3-JD4FZQYA

I'll take some pics next time I have an insert off and tag you.

Thanks Bud. I'd appreciate that. I know you play around with your 5 digits a lot so your a good source of knowledge for this kind of stuff. Cheers

Reactions: KJ2020

Naughtylus

18/4/19
KJ, can I get the 2813 and send it to you and let you try to mod it for me and then come back share this report to everyone!!!??? Hahhahhhaha

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Just approved QC on this one. Hopefully, I'll have it by the end of the week.

Got to love our TD's sometimes - asked If it were possible to have one without the stick dial, was told, sure no problem.

This is what I get back. lmao ... I knew the other dial was unlikely, so I'm fine with this.

The date seems a bit better / thicker in this one vs the one in the OP, let's wait and see.

For $259, what's not to love?

KJ2020 this is the second pick up in as many months thanks to you!

0921-5.jpg

0921-6.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Got to love our TD's sometimes - asked If it were possible to have one without the stick dial, was told, sure no problem.

This is what I get back. lmao ... I knew the other dial was unlikely, so I'm fine with this.

The date seems a bit better / thicker in this one vs the one in the OP, let's wait and see.

0921-5.jpg

0921-6.jpg

Frogfoot! Lol. Looks like you got a good one anyway.

There are some 1655 rep dial coronets out there that make this one look right nice.

The 1655 had 6 variants (2 service dials). Check out the MK2 and MK3. Some rep dials of these variants have the outer spires almost non-existent, just a ball there. Frogfoot extreme!

15691586355590.jpg

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18

0921-5.jpg

0921-6.jpg

is it 2813 chs?