• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Experience with gold wrapping

J.Gotti

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/9/18
Hi guys,

I am planing to buy a Rolex gold wrapped version. I wonder myself if the gold also fade off at the place where the buckle scratches against the inside bracelet.

Nobody would see it but it would bother me because on my plates versions steel showed easily at this place.

Thanks for sharing experience.

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
It will show, not so easily like on plated one but it will show in time. Dont let that bother you, it shows even on gen Tudor s&g.
Better pay attention on usual stuff. I dont know what you are planning to buy but im seriously thinking of that new VR Sea Dweller

J.Gotti

16/9/18
It will show, not so easily like on plated one but it will show in time. Dont let that bother you, it shows even on gen Tudor s&g.
Better pay attention on usual stuff. I dont know what you are planning to buy but im seriously thinking of that new VR Sea Dweller

Thanks for the advice.

I am planing to buy a day date....

Reactions: Cadows

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
If I got something wrapped. I'd probably try and protect the wrap. You can actually get plastic mobile phone screen protectors and cut them to size and place them over. Helps prevent the wrap being damaged. Especially on things like clasp / polished center links.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
There is no such thing as “wrapped” gold. Its been discussed here before in detail. It’s either gold plated, gold filled or solid gold. “Wrapped” is generally used in replica marketing to describe thicker than normal gold plating, But there are no industry standards so who knows what you are actually getting.

corleone911

6/11/17
There is no such thing as “wrapped” gold. Its been discussed here before in detail. It’s either gold plated, gold filled or solid gold. “Wrapped” is generally used in replica marketing to describe thicker than normal gold plating, But there are no industry standards so who knows what you are actually getting.

I see.....

But what about the factories who does “wrappping” watches like BP, Noob or VRF? How is the quality off the “wrapping”? There are different experience as I heard.

For me it would be important that the gold colour doesn’t fade or rub off, also not in the inside bracelet. The proportion of gold is something different, as you said well “so who knows what you are actually getting”

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
From personal experience, i can tell you that the VRF (max) "wrapping" holds up very good. I mentioned it a few times, i even polished it with cape cod to become a lighter more gen-like gold tone - and it is still showing no signs of steel.

Edit: Noob's wrapping (rose gold) is also pretty good from what i can tell.

Last edited:

saxo

Renowned Member
21/3/16
I'd stay away from gold plated or wrapped. As mentioned earlier there isn't an industry standard to it. The microns may be higher but the actual gold content may differ.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
I have BP DD40 with plated version ​​​​​​only worn like 3 times lol, but it holds up good so far.

J.Gotti

16/9/18
My DD is also plated and the gold rubs off where the buckle scratch against the inside bracelet.......

I am still not sure if a wrapped version would be a solution against it. I heard different experience!!