• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor 7928, first modding attempt…….

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Inspired by the amazing work on all rep fora I finally bit the bullet...So I got me a few vintage Tudors and Rolex(es)? a while ago as a project for modding. After reading, trying, screwing up, rereading, retrying I finally came out with a first result on a 7928.

First the Asian clone which didn’t run was replaced with a gen Eta I had in my parts box.

Still trying to find a gen Tudor vintage rotor but for now it is ok.

ViAiWf.jpg

Then I filed down the dimples on the crown as I hadn’t have a correct crown.

I “relumed” the hands and markers with a mix of tea, lemon juice and freeze dried coffee to get the tone I was looking for. My first attempt wasn’t what I wanted as I put too much of the color at once on the hands so I retried and used 4 layers on the lume and also on the hands to get a vintage effect.

ViARao.jpg

ViAUcI.jpg

ViAMPL.jpg

Trial and error with the casework,...I screwed up the first case as I went too far reshaping it….In the end I got my second case the way I liked it.

Materials used: files, dremel, scotchbrite, sandpapersticks 360 and 1000 grain and sandpaper 1000.

ViAsWK.jpg

ViAPcT.jpg

ViA2he.jpg

The usual mods followed…..I bought some 2 mm pushpins, drilled the lugholes.

Next thing was to age the bezel. I put the insert in a cup with lemon juice and put it outside in the sun for 2 weeks…:( no result gggrgrggrgrg$%^& so I tried some bleach and got me a ghost bezel in less then a minute…..again it turned out that less is more as the bleaching went too fast so I ordered some inserts to experiment with…. I also sanded the bezel edges.
Unfortunately I hit the crystal with my Dremel between the 8 and 9 o'clock marker so it you see some distortion
So here is the result, it needs more tweaking….but as a total newbie on modding I am not unhappy…Sorry for the bad pics as I had no patience to make good ones...Any advice is appreciated….

ViAShX.jpg

ViAdms.jpg

ViAhRp.jpg

ViAHoh.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: xartan

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
A little bit too vintage for my taste, but full credit for having a go, everyone has to start somewhere, we'll all be sending you watches to mod before you know it. Good job

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Cheers,...personal taste we can't argue about....would be a very dull world if we all liked the same...send them over buddy and i will send my pricelist...;)

Reactions: Spitfire63

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Great to see you’re getting into mods and good outcome. Keep them coming.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
Hey capice! That’s awesome. Good work. I wish I had the time and parts to try something like that myself. Maybe some day.

Anyways keep up the spirit in case you wanna do more. You’re off at a really good start.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
thanks guys, any tips on needed changes to be made are welcome...I think the bezel is a bit too much bleached so I will get another

Last edited: