• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Battle of the [Incredible] Hulk Inserts

Pseudorep

Horology Curious
11/10/18
The second most asked question here is who has the best sub insert. Now we all know it's R厂 but since those are rare as hen's teeth we have to see what else is on the market.

So I present to you the battle of the two best bezel inserts suggested around here... the new VRF and the Ebay Aftermarket Special.

I have uploaded them all in glorious HD for you to scrutinise to your heart's content.
My reference for this is the original VRF Max bezel (from April 2018). This is what you can see here under both bezels. It is clearly darker and the numerals are poor (dark) in comparison.
We have the order from bottom to top – Old VRF, Ebay Special, New VRF.
ViAWa6.md.jpg

To my eye the VRF has a darker green whereas the ebay special has a paler green. But the differences are so subtle that it's impossible to tell.
The main difference is the pearl. The VRF is a lume dome whereas the Ebay Special is a clear dome and the lume is underneath and flat (can't remember which is more gen like though).
The VRF pearl is also slightly off-centre, which is a kicker.
The VRF insert is thicker, whereas the ebay special is thinner.
The VRF has a larger lume pip.
The ebay special has larger numerals.
THE VRF has better plating in the etchings, but they are deeper which may not be as gen-like.

In the photos below the VRF is top or right depending on the orientation (you can spot it from the pearl).

ViADKy.md.jpg

ViAZYG.md.jpg

ViAEUq.md.jpg

ViAbP0.md.jpg

ViA1KF.md.jpg

Finally, the price is VRF - $65 from a TD. Ebay special, ~$40 from Ebay.

Overall, both are good inserts, but neither are perfect. However, I'd say the VRF just edges out.

Edit: Underside of insert to see how pearl is attached.

Last edited:

slashFAslash

21/7/18
Thanks for the comparison! Can you also add a picture of the ebay and VRF insert under direct sunlight? Afaik this is the environment where all rep inserts are not gen like