• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

https://www.thevintagepower.cn/

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I've just seen this - looks like the rep factories read RWI, and have seen the modded vintage watches for sale on M2M, the threads etc and have decided to profit from this.

The 6542 they were selling, when it was $350 or whatever it was, wasn't a bad deal - you get what you pay for, and for $350 it was OK. Now that the price has gone up to $670 this is much less of a deal.
It's still less than the cost of a Viet' based 6542 - and there are no alternatives, so if you want a 6542 and don't want to spend $1300 then this is your only choice. But the dial looks awful and will start to irritate almost instantly, so you'll need to spend another $250 or so for a Viet' 6542 dial and if you can't change the dial yourself you'll have to pay someone to do it . . . add on shipping costs etc and you're close to $1000 and there's still lots of things wrong with the watch - if you didn't get one when they were $350, then it's too late now.

The other vintage stuff they are selling . . . LOL. Where to begin. The 5513 is based on a Cartel 5513 - the case is the same, the bracelet, the insert, bezel ring, all are Cartel/BP. They've changed the dial - it's not better or worse than a Cartel dial, it's just different.
The inner edge of the crown has been chamfered and they've softened up the CGs on a polishing machine - that's about it, other than that it's a standard Cartel which sells for $225 with a clone 2836.

The 1675s are quite obviously Cartel/BP (who source many of their parts from the same factories, so the 2 are very close), they've softened up the CGs, added some truly fucking hideous sticker type dial and relumed the hands. Again, these sell for $240 or so, standard, unmodified, direct from a TD.

The 1016 - these are hideous, the dial is just incredibly bad, the case looks about a foot thick, the lume apparently glows neon blue . . .

Aside from the 6542, which has to be considered because it's the only alternative to a Viet build, all these watches are a rip off - you are paying an extra $350 - $400 for really minimal changes - note I didn't use the word improvements - because they aren't improvements, they're just changes.

The dials are pure crap, and will need to be changed.
The cases are still inaccurate and will need to be reworked.
The crystals are still low end filled-with-micro-bubbles junk, and will need to be replaced.
The movements are all high beat 2836 clones, so the tube isn't positioned correctly meaning it will never look or be close to 'gen' spec'.
The hands are still Cartel/BP hands and will need to be replaced . . You get the idea.

A Cartel 5513 with a DG movement costs $120 plus shipping. Change the dial ($120 - $200), change the hands ($20), the crystal ($30) - If you can do those things yourself then for $250 max' you've transformed the watch.
If you can't do them yourself then add on another $250 - $400 (depending on who you go with ) to pay a modder who'll change those parts and rework the case shape for you - total cost would be around $650 - $800 for a truly hand built watch.

Last edited:

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
I've just seen this - looks like the rep factories read RWI, and have seen the modded vintage watches for sale on M2M, the threads etc and have decided to profit from this........

Does anything else need to be said! There is everyone's answer!

danno7778

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/5/19
I can't see a bargain amongst the ones they have on the site. They also all have the 28,800 bph rate, which is incorrect for the vintage. They should be using slower rep movements, as the original Rolex movements were 18,000 bph and 19,800 bph.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I get what you re saying but thickness is truly an issue, so if the buyer cant afford a cartel/vietnam reps they should stick to modern offerings: ARF, NOOB etc

Just my 2 cents

I don't understand what you mean by "thickness is truly an issue" - I'd be interested to know what thickness you're referring to.

As to your point, "if the buyer cant afford a cartel/vietnam reps they should stick to modern offerings"... well, that's your opinion, but I don't agree. I have more "vintage" reps than modern ARF/Noob etc. reps, and I like them more than the modern reps because I prefer the vintage styles. And I don't care they're not 1:1 copies, because by definition a rep even when built by an expert and costing more is still a rep and not a 1:1 exact copy.

I could afford to spend $2k plus on a watch, but (for now) I choose to stick with "affordable" reps across a range of styles/eras because they satisfy my watch collecting desire at a price I'm comfortable paying for a copy. So instead of owning 3 $2k watches, I have collected over 30 watches that look great to me, and will look great to anyone else too unless they're an expert, and demanded to examine the watch through a loupe... :)

None of which is to denigrate the work of tripdog, yodog and the other watchmakers on the rep scene who all produce absolutely amazing work - it's genuine art, IMO. I deeply admire what they do, and have been inspired by it to begin working on my own projects - which will include trying to improve the Bakelite 6542 I got from TSWatch.

Reactions: GMT1675

bjorn2019

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/17
I don't understand what you mean by "thickness is truly an issue" - I'd be interested to know what thickness you're referring to.

As to your point, "if the buyer cant afford a cartel/vietnam reps they should stick to modern offerings"... well, that's your opinion, but I don't agree. I have more "vintage" reps than modern ARF/Noob etc. reps, and I like them more than the modern reps because I prefer the vintage styles. And I don't care they're not 1:1 copies, because by definition a rep even when built by an expert and costing more is still a rep and not a 1:1 exact copy.

I could afford to spend $2k plus on a watch, but (for now) I choose to stick with "affordable" reps across a range of styles/eras because they satisfy my watch collecting desire at a price I'm comfortable paying for a copy. So instead of owning 3 $2k watches, I have collected over 30 watches that look great to me, and will look great to anyone else too unless they're an expert, and demanded to examine the watch through a loupe... :)

None of which is to denigrate the work of tripdog, yodog and the other watchmakers on the rep scene who all produce absolutely amazing work - it's genuine art, IMO. I deeply admire what they do, and have been inspired by it to begin working on my own projects - which will include trying to improve the Bakelite 6542 I got from TSWatch.

If you like them, thats all that matters at the end
Was just sharing my opinion