• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

https://www.thevintagepower.cn/

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
That's the sister website of TS station (ex TD) dedicated to vintage handmade pieces.

What do the experts think? Anything worth taking a look at?

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
The open “6” on the 6542 looks like the best vintage roulette date disc yet. I might order one for that alone. It looks improved over the previous ones too.

The dials look particularly bad though so if they can fit a Vietnam dial, this is the future of affordable builds

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
The open “6” on the 6542 looks like the best vintage roulette date disc yet. I might order one for that alone. It looks improved over the previous ones too.

The dials look particularly bad though so if they can fit a Vietnam dial, this is the future of affordable builds

What do you think of the 6200?

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
What do you think of the 6200?

Looks Okay... the dial still needs to be replaced, and the lollipop seconds hand is absent. The elongated hour hand is missing too. Case lugs need beveling, but overall it's a great start. It might require some significant work to be passable if you really care about the small differences.

DeehNorris

Horology Curious
13/4/18

Affordable?! It's $660, not to mention it was priced at $368 before, and they still haven't fixed the long lugs.
​​​​

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Keep in mind this is not a TD on here.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Affordable?! It's $660, not to mention it was priced at $368 before, and they still haven't fixed the long lugs.
​​​​

I agree they are putting quite a margin on top of the watch, $660 is a bit high IMO for what you get, however look at the current vintage market:

Typical Vietnam build: $1200-1400

This build:
Watch: $660
Vietnam Dial: $250
Total: $910

If Vietnam is a Tier 1 build (with minimal or no gen parts), then this is a tier 2 build. The BP is Tier 3, and Cartel is Tier 4.

All of the lower tier cases can be modified and worked on to be better, but it's really not a bad place to start, IMO of course; it's your money at the end of the day.

tommikeson

24/10/14
Why do these exist, but they aren't part of what is offered on TD sites? I really want a 5513.

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
Who’s got the back story on how they lost TD stays then? I’ve taken the risk twice with them, fortunately both positive experiences.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Who’s got the back story on how they lost TD stays then? I’ve taken the risk twice with them, fortunately both positive experiences.

Wait until your watch gets caught in customs...

If you check the vintage rolex forum, there have been a few threads about their GMT 6542, actually. It was up at TS for around $350 and now they are charging almost twice for the same watch. I'm glad I got it before they set up this site, but I must say I totally dislike what they have done. All the other builds/watches they have are apparently subpar. Even at "normal" prices.

Regarding their status, they changed owners around 2 years ago. And the new management is quite crap, they refused to refund watches when stopped at customs, used to put photos of gens mixed with reps, sent wrond QC photos, wrong QC watches, etc. I got sent a Datejust with a SA3135 when I ordered an A2824, and then when they found out (because I complained), they wanted me to send them extra money, lol! It was all a big shitstorm.

DeehNorris

Horology Curious
13/4/18
Huh, food for thought, but how much did it cost to get a 6542 from Tripdog? I thought it was around the $700ish mark.

DeehNorris

Horology Curious
13/4/18
I agree they are putting quite a margin on top of the watch, $660 is a bit high IMO for what you get, however look at the current vintage market:

Typical Vietnam build: $1200-1400

This build:
Watch: $660
Vietnam Dial: $250
Total: $910

If Vietnam is a Tier 1 build (with minimal or no gen parts), then this is a tier 2 build. The BP is Tier 3, and Cartel is Tier 4.

All of the lower tier cases can be modified and worked on to be better, but it's really not a bad place to start, IMO of course; it's your money at the end of the day.

Fair enough, it's still priced lower than other builds. But they almost doubled the price because people were buying their watches, that is just a fucking shitty thing to do.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I recently took delivery of their GMT 6542 - just before this new site and new prices popped up. I'd have been really disappointed if I'd paid the new price for the piece. It's fine for the "normal rep" price I paid for it, but that's being generous as on arrival the crown is almost impossible to turn and the seconds/minute hands are hitting each other. The bezel is horribly sharp/scratchy and the lovely Bakelite insert is ill-fitting. There's also some debris on the dial. And the long lugs. Apart from that it's perfect...

So it's currently sitting in the box awaiting attention.

bjorn2019

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/17
You get what you pay for

Its cheap so its going to look cheap,

If you want a nice piece, you should contact a proper modder
But a proper mod = proper price

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You get what you pay for

Its cheap so its going to look cheap,

If you want a nice piece, you should contact a proper modder
But a proper mod = proper price

It doesn't look cheap at all, actually - that's the best thing about it. But thanks for the advice.

bjorn2019

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/17
It doesn't look cheap at all, actually - that's the best thing about it. But thanks for the advice.

I get what you re saying but thickness is truly an issue, so if the buyer cant afford a cartel/vietnam reps they should stick to modern offerings: ARF, NOOB etc

Just my 2 cents

tribal

Renowned Member
27/3/06
Germany
No triangle shipping, increased prices,
that's a no go in my opinion.

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2S mit Tapatalk