• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What’s the best screwdriver for GMF jubilee? Can’t remove links.

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
I’m having a lot of trouble unscrewing the screws on the jubilee bracelet of my GMF Pepsi. The screws on one side of the clasp are fine, but the others just won’t budge. Tried heating and WD40 soak. I’m mangling the slot a bit and think I’d have more luck if had the exact fit screwdriver. Can anyone recommend one. Apparently gen uses 1.3mm..not sure if GMF is same. 1.3 is quite hard to find.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Regular Rolex bracelet screw takes a 1.6mm hollow ground.
most important is to do it with a proper screwdriver or you’ll f**k up the bracelet.

Reactions: sn95

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
Thanks dude. I think that’s what I’m using but maybe it’s become a bit misshaped with use.

I haven’t tried heating with a flame yet (just soldering iron), so will try that next.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks dude. I think that’s what I’m using but maybe it’s become a bit misshaped with use.
I haven’t tried heating with a flame yet (just soldering iron), so will try that next.

Oyster is 1.6mm, Jubilee is 1.4mm. If the 1.4 is slightly too big on a rep, both the edges and the blade can be drawn across a piece of 400 sandpaper to make it the exact correct size.

BP/GMF Jubilees commonly have stuck screws, they must glue them in. I had one that no method worked to lossen it (boiling, freezing, acetone, WD-40, you name it). I ended up cutting a link out to extract the screw. Lost one link and 2 screws, screws are easliy replaced. I had a spare link from an old Raffles bracelet.

LdUIX.jpg

LdPJU.jpg

LdsZh.jpg

Last edited:

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
Oh yeah, that looks very much like where I’m at and my only option would be to cut a link out. It fits ok by removing the links in the other side of the clasp (weird that on one side they were all fine..maybe different people constructing each side..?). It’s just the clasp isn’t quite centred.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Be careful if you decide to cut, because its easy to lose track of which mid link belongs to which outer link. I won't ever have another BP/GMF Jubilee. Can't imagine that ARF would be this bad, but they don't make one with a flip lock clasp yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: sn95

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
The problem that also exacerbates the problem is the watchman not sizing his screwdriver to the the screw. When it fits in the slot there should be no wiggle. This involves filing and shaping.

When a screw driver is not fitted to the slot you have two fine pressure points of contact instead of being uniform across the slot.

Best of luck, damaging a screw can drive a perfectionist nutz!

Last edited:
Reactions: JDM180

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
Thanks for the advice all. I ordered a few simple ‘swiss’ style screwdrivers from cousins in various sizes. Turns out 1.2mm fitted well and worked a treat which goes to show most important thing really is a good fitting screwdriver, considering how much effort I’d put in heating and lubricating etc with no joy.

Anyway, it’s irrelevant now as I just walked into a London AD with the intention to buy my wife a reverso for our anniversary and walked out with a Reverso as well as a Moonwatch and a GENUINE PEPSI! That really was not the plan when I woke up this morning. My lucky (and expensive) day I guess.

sgsndu.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: muiramas

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
WTFF!!! Congrats, on vacation in europe, checked almost 10 ad's in 3 countries and 0 gmts, they said the wait is approx 6 years.

Yes, I had a similar mission in Bangkok at Christmas and was generally met by laughter. I have read a few similar stories to mine though with people getting lucky but assumed they were very rare.

The thing seemed to be that they wanted me to be a previous customer, which I was becoming by buying the Reverso and Omega, and not likely to flip it..and I think they felt comfortable I wasn’t planning on doing that. The sales assistant emailed her manager (at a different site) to request approval while I was in the buying protest for the other 2 watches. I really didn’t think I had much chance of getting one soon, certainly not today. She kept saying ‘ I think today is your lucky day’ and stuff like that, to which I thought she was referring to getting the other 2 watches being in stock. 20 minutes later her manager rang and gave the green light. Not sure what this says about wait lists in this shop. Incidentally my initial request was for a Daytona for which she basically ‘no chance, but are there any other SS professional models you’re interested in?’

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
Quite a find. Congratulations!

Incoming rep vs gen comparison?

Now there’s an idea. I’m not sure I have the photography skills, nitpickiness, or knowledge to do anything close the quality of comparisons that other posters on this forum have done, but maybe when I get the time.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Now there’s an idea. I’m not sure I have the photography skills, nitpickiness, or knowledge to do anything close the quality of comparisons that other posters on this forum have done, but maybe when I get the time.

Ah, you'll be fine. Whip out that iPhone and take some side by sides!

Out of interest what AD did you find it in?

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
That is great! There are no more wait lists. It is all about bundling and/or getting lucky with them having it in their safe.