• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Explorer 1016 Case

CREmonkey

Looking Around
28/5/19
Hello all!

I am new to these forums and looking to build an Explorer 1016 rep.

I need some suggestions for the case, I believe I will end up "aging" the case a bit if that matters. I have reached out to few notable case makers here with prices ranging from 700-1000.

Are there any more affordable explorer 1016 cases out there that someone can reccomend?

Current build plans

Dial - Yuki
Hands - Yuki
Movement - ETA
Strap - Going to do a Hodinkee leather strap but could also use some recs on rep metal bracelet.
Crown - genuine

Any info on any parts greatly appreciated but really hunting for a proper case that does not break the bank.

thanks in advance!

Reactions: Tokei_R

DisplacedSoutherner

Known Member
12/11/12
I need some suggestions for the case, I believe I will end up "aging" the case a bit if that matters. I have reached out to few notable case makers here with prices ranging from 700-1000.

Are there any more affordable explorer 1016 cases out there that someone can reccomend?

JMB's case sets run around $300 but I believe he may not be taking any new orders until after the summer.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Yep, JMB's case is a good deal, but as was said above, he's on vacation for a while, but might gear up end of July or August.
You might check some of the TDs for a vintage 1016- make sure the case has lugholes. It could tide you over til you come up with something better.

DisplacedSoutherner

Known Member
12/11/12
What end links work with the JMB case? I can’t get my 580s to fit properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
Keep an eye out on ebay...... Make a specific search and have emails sent to you daily. If patient, you may be able to get gen for those prices.

DisplacedSoutherner

Known Member
12/11/12
My 580's fit...

B

Case version maybe..?

After some work, I got the 580s to work. The pin of one spring bar is still not fully through one of the lug holes but I will keep at it.

One more question- JMB case should accommodate a genuine crown correct? I should be looking for a 24-600-0 right?

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
One more question- JMB case should accommodate a genuine crown correct? I should be looking for a 24-600-0 right?

Honestly I've had issues with the cases and crowns. Again, perhaps version? I've had 4 cases and had to go with gen crown/tube combos. Just make sure the new tube matches the crown and you're all set. threading is fine.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Yep, JMB's case is a good deal, but as was said above, he's on vacation for a while, but might gear up end of July or August.
You might check some of the TDs for a vintage 1016- make sure the case has lugholes. It could tide you over til you come up with something better.

You sometimes need to grind the edge that meets the case. Go slow and maintain the correct curvature but with a Dremel and small wheel it's not too hard.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09

The case will take anything you want, all that is needed is the hole drilled and tapped for whatever tube. I believe a 6020 takes an M3 x .33 tap and corresponding drill.

Oscarwilder123

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/4/20
Op I’m looking to do the Exact same build, what case did you end up going with, and did you have any issues with the crown, and Steam Installation ?