• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What STOP me from buying a REP Submariner

mottykytu

4/6/13
What do you mean? I went swimming with all my Sub and Sea-Dweller 43mm reps from ARF or Noob.
I double checked at a watch smith and most of the times the watches were over 100m water proof. Also the td puretime sends water proof check with QC pictures :)

it is 100% water-proof when leaving factories or you need a watchsmith to check it?

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
What do you mean? I went swimming with all my Sub and Sea-Dweller 43mm reps from ARF or Noob.
I double checked at a watch smith and most of the times the watches were over 100m water proof. Also the td puretime sends water proof check with QC pictures :)

Well okay then. I heard all watches have to be waterproofed after purchase. There is even thread about it here but if you say so from experience I have no reason not to believe you. Maybe ill buy my first rep after all ;) (SD43)

topreplika

6/2/17
Wow. What is the situation with panda?

It is difficult to find a Gen
dial 116500(panda) and even more to find a ceramic bezel and for the price is cost prohibitive, to franken one you have to pay the price!! The best way without going franken is to change the Noob clasp, ceramic bezel and the dial with ARF clasp, ARF bezel and ARF dial but you have to shave the external part of the dial 1mm to put in on the noob case. And you are good to go ;) cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
13,000 dollars.more than I had stopped me.from buying a gen. The new V9i Hulk finally made me buy it in a rep form.

Last edited:

mottykytu

4/6/13
13,000 dollars.more than I had stopped me.from buying a gen. The new V9i Hulk finally made me buy it in a rep form.

How superior it is compare to previous version that made you chagne your mind

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I actually disagree with the point about factories screwing up on purpose. If you have worked with Chinese suppliers you will surely know that consistency is not a word you can use. Sometimes they send you a batch with certain specs, sometimes is off. Sometimes you found they don't send you anything because, well, because the factory has closed, or they decided that they would manufacture doorknobs instead of watch springs. Well, this is what replica factories deal with on a daily basis. Take a look at a Regmariner (which is essentially a Noob v5) and put it side by side with a v9 Noob, it's just night and day, mate. Better crystal, better steel machining, the insert!, better dial, etc. Hell, even the bracelet is better on a V9 compared to a V5 (and Noob bracelets are 100% subpar).

There IS an improvement, but you need to look in longer intervals. As you very rightly say, there's a new model every few months, so you can't expect a completely new watch. But check what we had 2 years ago and it's way better now. And then check what we had FIVE years ago and you'll realise the watches are definitely improving.

Reactions: KJ2020

mottykytu

4/6/13
I actually disagree with the point about factories screwing up on purpose. If you have worked with Chinese suppliers you will surely know that consistency is not a word you can use. Sometimes they send you a batch with certain specs, sometimes is off. Sometimes you found they don't send you anything because, well, because the factory has closed, or they decided that they would manufacture doorknobs instead of watch springs. Well, this is what replica factories deal with on a daily basis. Take a look at a Regmariner (which is essentially a Noob v5) and put it side by side with a v9 Noob, it's just night and day, mate. Better crystal, better steel machining, the insert!, better dial, etc. Hell, even the bracelet is better on a V9 compared to a V5 (and Noob bracelets are 100% subpar).

There IS an improvement, but you need to look in longer intervals. As you very rightly say, there's a new model every few months, so you can't expect a completely new watch. But check what we had 2 years ago and it's way better now. And then check what we had FIVE years ago and you'll realise the watches are definitely improving.

obviously it is improve,

I did not say they don't improve the watch, because if they don't, who will buy the new version?

What I mean is that they do not want to make a whole nearly perfect SUB like they did with other brand/ model. They want to improve it just a little bit day by day, version by version, detail by detail. Therefore the (little bit) version will come every months which will make us very hard to control our-self not spending on the newer version which have less flaws...

I think we hardly see the "Perfect" Sub in next 5-7 years, which is quite obviously (To me) on purpose of factories ! They want some thing flaws, so that they can improve/fix it. Smoke who have worked with Factories and now stop can confirm this !

Last edited:

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
You just do not need to buy every new version. Buy the sub now and if in 2-3 years it is worth it... upgrade.

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
I agree but for some reason I still want a 6 digit sub, probably a no date. Not sure why since I know for a fact that I wont be wearing it.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
obviously it is improve,

I did not say they don't improve the watch, because if they don't, who will buy the new version?

What I mean is that they do not want to make a whole nearly perfect SUB like they did with other brand/ model. They want to improve it just a little bit day by day, version by version, detail by detail. Therefore the (little bit) version will come every months which will make us very hard to control our-self not spending on the newer version which have less flaws...

I think we hardly see the "Perfect" Sub in next 5-7 years, which is quite obviously (To me) on purpose of factories ! They want some thing flaws, so that they can improve/fix it. Smoke who have worked with Factories and now stop can confirm this !

What makes you think the current genuine sub will be the same in 5-7 years? ;-)

mottykytu

4/6/13
What makes you think the current genuine sub will be the same in 5-7 years? ;-)

1/ Do you know gen 16610ln run from 1989 to 2010 ? which mean it is nearly 21 years before was replaced by 116610ln in that year. and 116610 the sub CERAMIC only run half of its brother journey (2010-now) do you think it will be replace soon? No I don't at least 10 years more my friend :)

2/ you did not get my point, No Matter how the SUB change, you will never get the perfect sub from Factories because they want to keep this baby :)'

3/ even if the GEN upgrade why don't the factories copy the old version to perfect? Like what they are still doing with 16610ln?

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
1/ Do you know gen 16610ln run from 1989 to 2010 ? which mean it is nearly 21 years before was replaced by 116610ln in that year. and 116610 the sub CERAMIC only run half of its brother journey (2010-now) do you think it will be replace soon? No I don't at least 10 years more my friend :)

2/ you did not get my point, No Matter how the SUB change, you will never get the perfect sub from Factories because they want to keep this baby :)'

3/ even if the GEN upgrade why don't the factories copy the old version to perfect? Like what they are still doing with 16610ln?

2/
I doubt the factories are relying on repeat sales for their business model. Most of their sales won’t come from forums like this, and even if a lot of them did, the more accurate rep would always sell more - there’s a lot of competition between factories and I doubt they have some kind of ‘gentleman’s agreement’ to never get it right.

Anyone who has had something made in China will tell you they almost never get things perfect - even when supplied with actual cad data.

Reactions: Mendota

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09

1. Yes I do. 21 years. We are almost on 10 years of ceramic sub. You say 5 to 7, which is 17 years. So it's perfectly plausible that we have a different model once the current sub reaches the 17 year mark or more.

2. I did completely, but it's just that I disagree. I actually think you did mis mine, which has to do with pure industrial manufacturing processes (hence, dealing with your own supply chain). They can't get it right because they are using third parties in China that changes over time and whom you have not much control over their specs and tolerances. Why do you think Rolex does most of the stuff in house?

3. Because they simply can't in a cost effective and sustained in time way. There is only one company that is capable of copying 5-digit subs and that's Ginault, at least from the outside (leaving movement aside, which is a big thing). And still they can't produce them massively because it's really costly.

Still, no one is pointing a gun at your head. You think they are scamming you? Don't buy a rep sub. Easy as that. I have experience in the manufacturing sector and I can tell you is not as easy as asking some internet guru about some nice pictures and then producing that out of the blue in a medium to big scale operation. And if you want to do that in a consistent way over the years, it's even worse. So from a pure manufacturing point of view, these flaws you guys are obsessed with make 100% sense and are to be expected in a not-so-professional environment like ours.

Reactions: Mendota

mottykytu

4/6/13
1. Yes I do. 21 years. We are almost on 10 years of ceramic sub. You say 5 to 7, which is 17 years. So it's perfectly plausible that we have a different model once the current sub reaches the 17 year mark or more.

2. I did completely, but it's just that I disagree. I actually think you did mis mine, which has to do with pure industrial manufacturing processes (hence, dealing with your own supply chain). They can't get it right because they are using third parties in China that changes over time and whom you have not much control over their specs and tolerances. Why do you think Rolex does most of the stuff in house?

3. Because they simply can't in a cost effective and sustained in time way. There is only one company that is capable of copying 5-digit subs and that's Ginault, at least from the outside (leaving movement aside, which is a big thing). And still they can't produce them massively because it's really costly.

Still, no one is pointing a gun at your head. You think they are scamming you? Don't buy a rep sub. Easy as that. I have experience in the manufacturing sector and I can tell you is not as easy as asking some internet guru about some nice pictures and then producing that out of the blue in a medium to big scale operation. And if you want to do that in a consistent way over the years, it's even worse. So from a pure manufacturing point of view, these flaws you guys are obsessed with make 100% sense and are to be expected in a not-so-professional environment like ours.

1. Smoke the Sub expert here in RWI (if u know him) work with factory to produce the perfect rep Sub, and factory deny his Idea to make Perfect Sub. They want to keep it flaws that was why they break and stop the collaboration, it is a direct evidence we have right here.

2. Obviously they cannot force me to buy Sub, but my point is that If I buy a rep SUB now I cannot help my self from obsessed with flaws and obsessed with new better version which came everymonths. Who can stand a better Insert SUB or LV than the current one? But the upgrade routine is so fast, your rep sub can only be THE BEST ON MARKET in a short limited time (months or a year most)

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
1. Smoke the Sub expert here in RWI (if u know him) work with factory to produce the perfect rep Sub, and factory deny his Idea to make Perfect Sub. They want to keep it flaws that was why they break and stop the collaboration, it is a direct evidence we have right here.

This is just what Smoke said. Maybe theres more to it like their own supply chain / supply problems, or it could be the usual way Chinese factories respond when you tell them what to do. If you're not a client or they are not working for you the response is usually - "Fuck you".

2. ...but my point is that If I buy a rep SUB now I cannot help my self from obsessed with flaws and obsessed with new better version which came everymonths.

This is something you're going to have to learn to live with, or in your case, live without. It is what it is.

The Sub is not monolithic in this respect - regardless of what that consensual list says, all reps have their flaws which can get better or worse over time.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Well, as far as I know, there are more than just one Sub expert. I tend to stay away from people that only read one kind of book, and news based on only one source...

And again, one thing is pointing out flaws at a photo over the Internet, and another completely different thing is to set up an industrial operation to produce these watches in big numbers. Sorry to burst your bubble but anyone can do the first, but it takes a lot of work to get the second done in a successful way.

Reactions: muiramas

tabamoura

Known Member
4/11/18
South Florida
I'm a sucker for a Diving watch. I own three replicas . A Pelagos, a Seamaster 300 and a black Noob V9 sub. The sub is my favorite. I absolute love it.

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Gotta say I concur with OP. Not that the Sub is such a terrible rep, but maybe that it is a bit played out at this point. Or maybe my tastes have changed, but I am perfectly fine with my current ARF Daytona and possibly picking up a GMF GMT if I can't get a gen. Every collection needs a diver, so I do have a nice older SD which I held onto.

Regarding the Sub-C rep being far from perfect, it does not matter which factory or which version you get there is no 1:1 in this business. There are many well built reps, but the chance of running into a WIS that will call you out is slim to none, unless you hand it over to them and allow them to inspect it closely. Just wear your rep proudly, and do not worry if it is 1:1 or not. It was not too long ago that we had to mod nearly every rep coming in and now we are spoiled by having nearly perfect reps right out of the box.

Reactions: Hinclimincli