• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I will avoid ceramic submariner/seadweller rep

Omega

Known Member
8/5/09
I am quite trouble by the quality of paint used by rep factory for ceramic sub/seadweller or even GMT. Seems like flaking, fading and going dull of the bezel marking it common or a matter of time. I have 2 sub, SD. Both of 2836 and a3135 which bezel marking turn dark in just 1-2years of wearing.

I think I will go for yachtmaster rep.

Omega

Known Member
8/5/09
Why not paint them and experiment?

Sure, when you are done with your experiment. Let me know the result.

Hi, I am here not to talk nonsense but giving kind good advice to help people avoid wasting money. The rep watch nowadays is getting pricey. If you want to spend a good amount of money and get a good sport series Rolex rep. Ceramic Sub and SD are not the way to go until they can solve the problem of bezel marking paint.

Burnt_toast

Looking Around
28/2/19
Do you have pictures? What factory? What version? Kind of a blanket statement, things may have improved with newer versions.

Omega

Known Member
8/5/09
Do you have pictures? What factory? What version? Kind of a blanket statement, things may have improved with newer versions.

Blank Statement? Let me know how your so called new version fare after a year of daily wear.

This is a realistic problem happening. Buy at your own risk if you drop $500 on a cerarmic sub rep. I want a rep that can last if I am going to spend $500 on it and not just 2-3 years time and spoil my mood with an bad looking bezel that is far from gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pope and Smee38

Jbrahm

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/10/18
I agree. I bought the ARF 116610 and it flaked off in 2 months. I tried all kinds paint to no success. I bought the Clean Factory bezel for about $120. I'll see how that one goes as they promised no flaking potential.

VyXqmf.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You're right bro, rep ceramic inserts are not great. I wish they were still all made of aluminium. Clean, shiny, and cheap to replace.

Sadly, keeping up a rep ceramic bezel takes maintenance, but it's not impossible. There are a bunch of different paint mods available. Some you can do yourself, others like Spongebob's are nearly permanent and you pay a little more for your upgrade.

You can also swap in an aftermarket insert. Most of them have white paint instead of silver but it's not a bad tradeoff to have a clean bright insert with highly resistant clear lacquer over the markers. Seriously man, mineral spirits and acetone won't budge those suckers. I've had to dig out that paint with a needle sharp screwdriver point before repainting it silver.

Bottom line is if you want the look you do what you gotta do. Keep it up yourself periodically for free or pay for a more permanent mod. I keep all mine looking new and don't sweat it much. BTW the Yachtmaster insert shows grimy fingerprints badly (turns dark) and it scratches very easily. There's really no free ride.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...ings-and-balls

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...tman-v9/page12

15397844559070.jpg

VnBsUh.jpg

TU9F2.jpg

ohbgR.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I agree. I bought the ARF 116610 and it flaked off in 2 months. I tried all kinds paint to no success. I bought the Clean Factory bezel for about $120. I'll see how that one goes as they promised no flaking potential.

VyXqmf.jpg

Have you mounted your CF bezel yet? If so, post a pic!

BTW Paint mods are more successful if you remove all previous paint first. You can use all kinds of ways to remove it - mineral spirits, acetone, thinner, alcohol, scraping, etc. There's always a way to get to bare ceramic. Once there, most acrylic and enamel paint will adhere perfectly, whether applied by brush or spray.

Jbrahm

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/10/18
Have you mounted your CF bezel yet? If so, post a pic!

BTW Paint mods are more successful if you remove all previous paint first. You can use all kinds of ways to remove it - mineral spirits, acetone, thinner, alcohol, scraping, etc. There's always a way to get to bare ceramic. Once there, most acrylic and enamel paint will adhere perfectly, whether applied by brush or spray.

Thank you the advice! The paint stays on fine. The issue is finding a silver that is close to the rep or gen color. The molotow stuff does not match. I tried other silvers and they all sparkle. The people on the rep sites never tell people what paint they use and when they do, it looks good in pictures, but not in real life.

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
^^^^
The paint mod is a bit of fun too and if you cock it up you can have another crack at it without breaking anything, plus you get some satisfaction in knowing you did it yourself

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You used Molotow metallic silver? I think it looks fine, it even looks duller in low light just like the gen does. I'm never going to wear a rep around anyone who has a similar gen, but I have no problem buying into the fantasy that we all pay for (looks good to me).

The bright aluminum spray I used on a Batman insert is even better IMO, it stays beautiful silver even in low light. Less gen-like, but more fantasy satisfaction! It's about 3 months old and not showing a bit of deterioration.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/7402168-noob-batman-v9/page12

VUY2g2.jpg

Reactions: thumbsarehandy

saxo

Renowned Member
21/3/16
I totally understand the feeling of being bothered by it fading/flaking off. Sold my SD43 after 2 months of wearing. Annoyed me too much.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
You used Molotow metallic silver? I think it looks fine, it even looks duller in low light just like the gen does. I'm never going to wear a rep around anyone who has a similar gen, but I have no problem buying into the fantasy that we all pay for (looks good to me).

The bright aluminum spray I used on a Batman insert is even better IMO, it stays beautiful silver even in low light. Less gen-like, but more fantasy satisfaction! It's about 3 months old and not showing a bit of deterioration.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/7402168-noob-batman-v9/page12

VUY2g2.jpg

Nice work ! Nice even application too mate. Years ago ( 2012 ) when i was into DSSDs i used BMW platinum car paint to good effect. Looked way better than than white the rep makers used and it didnt deteriorate. Thats the thing with reps, they will never be right but for the price you pay it doesnt really matter

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nice work ! Nice even application too mate. Years ago ( 2012 ) when i was into DSSDs i used BMW platinum car paint to good effect. Looked way better than than white the rep makers used and it didnt deteriorate. Thats the thing with reps, they will never be right but for the price you pay it doesnt really matter

Exactly. Buying a rep implies you are willing to delude yourself. So why cheat yourself from being completely deluded? I try not to, I guess that means you could say I'm delusional, haha.

VaderTime

9/10/17
Lol, yep KJ your so right ! we're a crazy bunch. My wife thinks im nuts and shakes her head when i tell her i managed to swap out a sub insert without destroying it but its very satisfying

I think this is contagious. I once told my wife to listen to the difference the gen and rep bezel clicking sound made, and I was so amazed lol I think it's starting...

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I only purchased NOOB subs, V7 in early 2017 or late 16 and another late past year (the Hulk V9). That V7, exposed to salt water, chlorine water, hot shower, steam bath, sauna, cleaning with a dollop of dish soap and scrubbing with toothbrush and such. No flaking at all, but bezel color looked dark compared to V9. Sold it some months ago, and photos are available to see if one pulls up that thread. Still have an NOOB Explorer CHS, purchased m2m years ago, subject to similar treatment, and no flaking of bezel paint at all. The good thing about Explorer bezel paint is it is in black, so only flaking is an issue.

So, at least with NOOB, I wont complain.

But generally, I agree, with what we pay, we should expect better quality for these reps. But there are a whole bunch of people here who are happy just to receive a rep, forget about flaws, forget about functionality, geez dont even know how to critique them.

C.gjinika

Known Member
10/2/19

VyXqmf.jpg

Hi, does this happen to all ARF watches? I have ordered the 126600 v3 and even asked if the bezel marking would fade and from PURETIME they said that does not happen normally and they have heard of it only once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
My SD43, one year and 4 months old has still perfect plating. True also that I do not use it a lot since I have many watches on rotation.

C.gjinika

Known Member
10/2/19
My SD43, one year and 4 months old has still perfect plating. True also that I do not use it a lot since I have many watches on rotation.

Nice to hear bro, what about the quality of the watch in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk