• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question on Spongebob Insert

VaderTime

9/10/17
I have recently purchased a noob spongebob LV insert. It will be arriving in a few weeks.

Just wondering does Spongebob insert fix the noob pearl issue to make it more gen like?

Thanks!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Your Spongebob Noob insert will have the stock Noob pearl on it, unless you made other arrangements.

VaderTime

9/10/17
Spongebob asked me if I want to switch to a ARF insert.

Will the ARF insert fit on the Gen bezel?

is the Spongebob arf insert better than his v9 LV insert (color and pearl wise)?

Thank you!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The ARF and NOOB inserts are the same size and will both fit a gen bezel. You'll have to decide which one you want. A lot of people prefer the ARF pearl. But there have been some issues with ARF inserts - engravings not centered, too deep, etc. You should probably have a look at this recent thread

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...4-but-bezel-flaw-no-qc-after-purchase-opinion

Skim it all the way through, read my posts fully.

Maybe you could get Spongebob to give you a NOOB insert with an ARF pearl. If not, I would pick the NOOB insert and pearl

Reactions: MrBeasy

VaderTime

9/10/17
The ARF and NOOB inserts are the same size and will both fit a gen bezel. You'll have to decide which one you want. A lot of people prefer the ARF pearl. But there have been some issues with ARF inserts - engravings not centered, too deep, etc. You should probably have a look at this recent thread

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...4-but-bezel-flaw-no-qc-after-purchase-opinion

Skim it all the way through, read my posts fully.

Maybe you could get Spongebob to give you a NOOB insert with an ARF pearl. If not, I would pick the NOOB insert and pearl

After reading this, I have decided to go with the noob insert.

Hopefully, I will find a good pearl in the future and install it.

On the side note, do you know where I can find a bp lv dial?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
After reading this, I have decided to go with the noob insert.

Hopefully, I will find a good pearl in the future and install it.

On the side note, do you know where I can find a bp lv dial?

Try Puretime. I know of a guy who got one from them not too long ago. Make sure you ask for the BP Miyota dial. It's a gem.

VRF used to use those dials too, I saw one recently in an M2M sale. I almost grabbed it just for the dial. You can always turn it into a black or blue sub and flip it after harvesting the dial.

You can ID the BP dial by the short "ft" in the dial text, and the "300 m" (space). The new VRF dials are not as good, it's like they reduced the contrast on them so the range of color is not as great. It's harder to get good deep blacks to show. The new VRF dials have the long "ft" (goes below the line) and "300m" (no space).

BP Miyota over a year old, still chugging along perfectly OOTB
TU9F2.jpg

New VRF
VsUuQ6.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
BTW the VRF insert is the best HULK rep insert available but you'd have to have one first and send it to Spongebob. He can't source those. Worth doing if you really want the best. However you are then faced with the dilemma of how to get one. Buy the watch, harvest the insert, make it a black sub, flip it... Yeah, been there in my mind. The VRF is a nice sub, it definitely needs a replacement crystal though, their new ones have mag too low as you can see.

Last edited:

VaderTime

9/10/17
Thanks for your help, definitely appreciated!

right now I am trying to build a frank, but not a crazy superfrank that will cost half the price of a gen. I am budgeting mine to be less than a quarter price of gen.

so far I have acquired a gen crystal, crystal retainer, hands, bezel, dw, crown and tube, spongebob insert (waiting for a couple weeks more to arrive).

I want to put this in a V9 because after some reading that v9 is the best to mod and I also want to get a sh3135 (or should I just keep the SA3135) serviced by domi and relume the pearl and dial, then have backwood work on the SEL after everything comes in.

then I have read that the BP dial is a must for a hulk frank but I couldn't find any posts regarding why the BP dial is that good lol

So my ultimate question is that, with these specific mods, is the V9 the best choice, have I missed any gen parts that I should acquire or was there any gen parts that was unnecessary?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If your SA3135 has already been serviced, I would keep it til it dies. If not, I would put in an SH3135 right away. It will need gen reversing wheels (or whole autowind device). The Noob dial is actually quite pretty if you can't get a BP, it's a little more Emerald Green than gen but really quite nice. I think the V9 is the best choice, especially if you are going to have the SELs worked on some. My bro Vvvlllooo has an awesome V9 Hulk Franken, maybe he would post a pic here, you can see what he thinks about your gen parts list.

Reactions: Vvvlllooo

VaderTime

9/10/17
I have talked with Vvvlllooo and he also recommends me to to get the SH since I have purchased the V9 to franken. I have a BK 2836 v9 that i'll get rid of after this build.

Btw, do you know anywhere I can source a SH3135 besides eBay, or a trustworthy supplier from eBay? Also, where can I source gen autowind device because there's not too many of these on TRF.

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
I have talked with Vvvlllooo and he also recommends me to to get the SH since I have purchased the V9 to franken. I have a BK 2836 v9 that i'll get rid of after this build.

Btw, do you know anywhere I can source a SH3135 besides eBay, or a trustworthy supplier from eBay? Also, where can I source gen autowind device because there's not too many of these on TRF.

You can purchase SH3135 on puretime just send them an email.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Thanks for your help, definitely appreciated!

right now I am trying to build a frank, but not a crazy superfrank that will cost half the price of a gen. I am budgeting mine to be less than a quarter price of gen.

so far I have acquired a gen crystal, crystal retainer, hands, bezel, dw, crown and tube, spongebob insert (waiting for a couple weeks more to arrive).

I want to put this in a V9 because after some reading that v9 is the best to mod and I also want to get a sh3135 (or should I just keep the SA3135) serviced by domi and relume the pearl and dial, then have backwood work on the SEL after everything comes in.

then I have read that the BP dial is a must for a hulk frank but I couldn't find any posts regarding why the BP dial is that good lol

So my ultimate question is that, with these specific mods, is the V9 the best choice, have I missed any gen parts that I should acquire or was there any gen parts that was unnecessary?

missing the biggest piece to a hulk...the gen insert...that is the grail and will make your HULK...HULK..I've had an ARF insert (too dark), V6s Noob with sponge bob mod (Best one that was very light), but none of these got close to the gen Hulk insert. You really can't replicate that color..and once you see it in real life...you'll know what I mean.

Reactions: KJ2020

VaderTime

9/10/17
missing the biggest piece to a hulk...the gen insert...that is the grail and will make your HULK...HULK..I've had an ARF insert (too dark), V6s Noob with sponge bob mod (Best one that was very light), but none of these got close to the gen Hulk insert. You really can't replicate that color..and once you see it in real life...you'll know what I mean.

Yes, I completely agree with you. Someone offered me a whole hulk bezel insert assembly for $2900 which was very tempting., but I just can't pull the trigger lol.

VaderTime

9/10/17
KJ2020 On a side note, do you know if a gen springbar will fit a V9? Will it make the gap between the lug and sel better and recess?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 On a side note, do you know if a gen springbar will fit a V9? Will it make the gap between the lug and sel better and recess?

Are you talking about a 2mm springbar? If so I think not. Noob uses 1.8mm ones and they arre sometimes tough to get back in once rremoved (have to bend the tips sometimes). Also SEL gap to lug is not usually fixable with any springbar change. Thats a SEL size or shape issue. SEL is too short, or the end is cut on a slight angle such that the bottom fits tight while the top doesn't.

SEL recess can be improved with some sprigbar and foil or wire or glue tricks.

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
5fc1647a16cb8d34dff14cb8010a4d77.jpg

(Arf case + bracelet)

ce257c414f1f7473bd1e1d15438d13e0.jpg

(Vr3135 case on green rubber)

Here’s mine with BP dial too. Changing the markers to the arf ones as the bp ones are too white. Also i changed to arf case + bracelet. The noob case i heard its a hit or miss on the SEL, im still thinking on it.
@vadertime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk