• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WM9 case - will it take 3135 clone?

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
2003 WM9 V1 ‘TW Best’ from ‘eddielee’
This is like ancient history- WM9 wasn't around in 2003. Yes Eddie Lee was and so were the TWBest 16610s- non gen like construction of course. I would date WM9 from 2010 to 2012 say. And as was stated previously, there was V1, V2 and V3. Before the WM9 watches were the noobmariners- 2008-10 maybe. Good dials and bracelets, shallow rehaut and non-gen bezel const. BK did a nice series of mods at the time to make these watches acceptable. After WM9 passed, BK picked up a line of TWBest 16610s- these were nice also with gen like bezel const. But alas, now days BK has moved on to 116610s, I believe. And TC has moved on to Ginault. But with the discontinued JF 16610s and the ARF 16610, putting a 3135 in there has become standard.

A 2003 TWB- maybe a noobmariner dial, or a WM9 dial for eta with hands. That's a Swiss eta in there so you should be good to go. Maybe a new DWO and you're set. Could be time to service the eta!

Reactions: occb2

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Gods own country! Yorkshire.
This is like ancient history- WM9 wasn't around in 2003. Yes Eddie Lee was and so were the TWBest 16610s- non gen like construction of course. I would date WM9 from 2010 to 2012 say. And as was stated previously, there was V1, V2 and V3. Before the WM9 watches were the noobmariners- 2008-10 maybe. Good dials and bracelets, shallow rehaut and non-gen bezel const. BK did a nice series of mods at the time to make these watches acceptable. After WM9 passed, BK picked up a line of TWBest 16610s- these were nice also with gen like bezel const. But alas, now days BK has moved on to 116610s, I believe. And TC has moved on to Ginault. But with the discontinued JF 16610s and the ARF 16610, putting a 3135 in there has become standard.

A 2003 TWB- maybe a noobmariner dial, or a WM9 dial for eta with hands. That's a Swiss eta in there so you should be good to go. Maybe a new DWO and you're set. Could be time to service the eta!

George died in his car in 2010 owing BK and me for that matter quite a lot of money! so you might need to adjust your dates on the WM9 timeline. My father used to receive a lot of eu forwarding packages in the U.K. for WM9 and he died in 2007! But as you say it’s all on the past anyway.
Eurotime used to sell the TW as well which had gen bezel construction. Bert used to add his sparkle to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pompompurin

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Like you say, it was a long time ago- so then WM9 was big in 2008-2010. If he was selling watches earlier, were they gen like construction? I did purchase an MBW 16610 during that period from Chris at Eurotimez- it wasn't exactly gen like bezel construction, but I was able to convert it to gen like construction with some gen and AM parts. I finally ditched the noobmariner dial and hands in that watch and picked up a WM9 set of hands and dial. It has a Swiss eta 2836, but that was about the time the clones started hitting the market.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Sorry for the late reply. Yes. Some of the WM9 16610 did fit a 3135. Not all. WM9 used a woman's ETA movement in one of their subs at one point. Look up subs on here and then history.

The Yacht master took a 3135 but would not close. The case back would crush the oscillating weight. Same as a TC YM. Only Sean made the correct back and space for a 3135. Hope this help.

Rob

Reactions: Technit1957

Gaz1a

Franken Monster
Patron
Certified
6/4/21
LAX
occb2 just following up on your comment. I managed to get a YM WM9 (v3?) with a 2824-2 movement. I’m exploring whether it’s possible to put a gen dial with a VS3135 - Pompompurin seems to think these cases fit a 3135 movement. But just noting your comment, would I need a different a case back? Would a gen case back work? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Gaz1a

Franken Monster
Patron
Certified
6/4/21
LAX

I also have a spare TC sub caseback… would that work? :)

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
No. It won’t. I tried a TC case back and a WM9 case back, Both I had to remove the automatic bridge with the oscillating weight to fit a 3135 in them. A real YM back will not thread in nor will a Sean case back, Now on the Sean case it fit perfect. Oh on the WM9 and the TC a sub back will fit but the same issue happen with the 3135 being crushed. Hope this helps.

Maybe someone has come up with an answer to it. I wrote a long thread years ago here showing the above, I had a TC case and a Sean case to compare next to each other. A 3135 will fit a TC case for a YM but it will have to be a hand wound 3135 with the automatic winding bridge removed,

Reactions: pompompurin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/9/10
No. It won’t. I tried a TC case back and a WM9 case back, Both I had to remove the automatic bridge with the oscillating weight to fit a 3135 in them. A real YM back will not thread in nor will a Sean case back, Now on the Sean case it fit perfect. Oh on the WM9 and the TC a sub back will fit but the same issue happen with the 3135 being crushed. Hope this helps.

Maybe someone has come up with an answer to it. I wrote a long thread years ago here showing the above, I had a TC case and a Sean case to compare next to each other. A 3135 will fit a TC case for a YM but it will have to be a hand wound 3135 with the automatic winding bridge removed,

Being a owner of both Sean and Bert's 16622 cases, I used to work on both back in the days. As my memory serves, and yes, a gen 3135 spec movt will not fit BK or TC 16622 without removing bridge as mentioned above.

Bert/TC cases have crown stems sitting a tad lower about 0.5mm than gen or Sean's case. Even though you have the stem issue worked out, still have to deal with the dial gap below the rehaut.

All in all, Bert 16622 with gen ETA is the best out of the box in terms of fit and finish, especially the band, SEL was among the best even in today's standard. Sean's case finish is miles behind, I've been through a few with seriously crooked lug engravings lol...

Gaz1a

Franken Monster
Patron
Certified
6/4/21
LAX
Being a owner of both Sean and Bert's 16622 cases, I used to work on both back in the days. As my memory serves, and yes, a gen 3135 spec movt will not fit BK or TC 16622 without removing bridge as mentioned above.

Bert/TC cases have crown stems sitting a tad lower about 0.5mm than gen or Sean's case. Even though you have the stem issue worked out, still have to deal with the dial gap below the rehaut.

All in all, Bert 16622 with gen ETA is the best out of the box in terms of fit and finish, especially the band, SEL was among the best even in today's standard. Sean's case finish is miles behind, I've been through a few with seriously crooked lug engravings lol...

I have a Sean case and a TC 16622 but who the hell is Bert? :) genuinely never heard of this build before!

Gaz1a

Franken Monster
Patron
Certified
6/4/21
LAX

I have a Sean case and a TC 16622 but who the hell is Bert? :) genuinely never heard of this build before!

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
TC WM9 sean are the only ones I know. Only the Sean takes a 3135. While the other two will fit a 3135 the back won’t close.

also the sean case back doesn’t fit the other two.

Reactions: ssouthall6

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
TC WM9 sean are the only ones I know. Only the Sean takes a 3135. While the other two will fit a 3135 the back won’t close.

This is true, I tried with both

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
I know BK brought all the Sean stuff that was left over. Years ago I brought his last stock of Sean cases for a YM, He only had 2 left. I built a 16620 and a 16623. Both were amazing. I sold them over the years. Not much of a fan of the YM for an everyday watch.

Now I have a real one that I got for a great deal. I wrote a post on it. Im still looking for an older bezel. Some how I have a platinum insert on an old bezel that i am guessing was popped out and made to fit in. Every bezel I ever worked on for a 5 dig YM needs a tool to come out. This one pops out like an alum. Siub or GMT. Holds well and acid test as platinum. I don’t know any fake real platinum inserts. Never the less I know for a fact all the parts are now real but that. So I want a real full bezel but can’t find it. LOL

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I know BK brought all the Sean stuff that was left over. Years ago I brought his last stock of Sean cases for a YM, He only had 2 left. I built a 16620 and a 16623. Both were amazing. I sold them over the years. Not much of a fan of the YM for an everyday watch.

Now I have a real one that I got for a great deal. I wrote a post on it. Im still looking for an older bezel. Some how I have a platinum insert on an old bezel that i am guessing was popped out and made to fit in. Every bezel I ever worked on for a 5 dig YM needs a tool to come out. This one pops out like an alum. Siub or GMT. Holds well and acid test as platinum. I don’t know any fake real platinum inserts. Never the less I know for a fact all the parts are now real but that. So I want a real full bezel but can’t find it. LOL
I have the one you sold me but I ain't selling it back :D

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
I have the one you sold me but I ain't selling it back :D

Please!!!! LOL. I’ll send you this larger font one. It doesn’t match the serial number. I also go the wrong dial. It has the Swiss made separate. The 2005 i believe was SWISSMADE dials. That doesn’t bother me. Maybe I will just strip it and use the movement. Sell the real case with everything, band crystal, dial and hands.

Right now i have a real

2000 16610LN,
2003 16610LN
2006 16613LB which I swapped with an LN and gave my father in law the watch again for now
2005 16620
Those are the all real ones I own,
I have my 16610LV that is all real but the phong midcase
I have my 116610LN noob V9 904 case all real minus the case.

If I do strip the 16620 I will use the 3135 and build another hulk or early 16610LN tritium. I have hands and dial for it. I have lots of parts fo fit.

Heck after reading that Vietnam is making a 16710 case, Im thinking of jumping on one of those. I have a dial, hands and crystal for that. Also a Pepsi inset.

Reactions: ssouthall6

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11

I know this was a while back, but do you think machining the case back would allow a 3135 to fit a TC YM case?