• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gold & Rose Gold platings - longevity?

chigganv

30/1/19
Hello,

As we all know the Gold and Rose Gold reps will fade over time.
But I wonder if there is any difference between Rose Gold or Gold? Or between different factories?

If you've ever bought a watch with gold or rose gold.
Please comment with the model + maker (ARF, NOOB, VRF, BP, etc) and how long it took for you to start noticing fading of the colour.
Also how frequently did you use it? Every day? Once a week? Even more less?

I'm about to buy either a gold or rose gold rep but I'm really not convinced yet. I have read many different opinions here at RWI.
Some say they noticed fading after 2 weeks and some say they haven't seen it fade even after a year.

This thread is gold (pun intended) on the matter. "The Wrapped Gold Sub Guide" https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...gold-sub-guide
But I still feel we lack some statistics over the matter. What I mean is that I could pay 500 usd if the color holds for a year, but not for 1 month.

Last edited:

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Most of the new repas are IP/ionic plated gold or rosegold...I myself am not into goldplated stuff but I read that it can differ which factory it comes from

chigganv

30/1/19
Yes I know, only a few microns thick. capice

But I want like real data. Best and worst perfomers in terms of factories and models.

SingG990

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/6/15
Subscribed....Been trying to pull the trigger for a year, butt those horror stories of the wrapped models fading after 30 days has made me hesitant.

Reactions: padorkous

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I don't think you're going to get any real useful consensus unfortunately.

In my opinion, if you really must have a gold watch, get the steel version and then have it independently plated. Even then there are going to be too many variables that influence longevity, but at least you can be sure of the thickness. The only thing is you'll need a reference source, for example, gen 18k crown, to match the colour to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

SingG990

1/6/15
I don't think you're going to get any real useful consensus unfortunately.

In my opinion, if you really must have a gold watch, get the steel version and then have it independently plated. Even then there are going to be too many variables that influence longevity, but at least you can be sure of the thickness. The only thing is you'll need a reference source, for example, gen 18k crown, to match the colour to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you get it independently plated?

nikefit

Known Member
16/1/12
i had my GMF root beer for quite a while now and have been using is quite a lot.. and i just realized that some small parts had started to peel.. not sure if this is due to wear or it came like that from the factory (i did not really check it when i first got it)

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
I have owned both Noob and ARF gold / rose gold Rolex’s over the past 1.5 years...Bottom line, stay away from gold watches via Noob. ARF gold has held up like a champ, even with heavy summer use.

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
VRF Max - wrapped (picture below)
Amazing. In order to lighten up the gold tone, i polished it with normal gold polishing cloth, then even a bit with cape cod! I still don't see any steel - plus i wear it quite often.

VGfugq.jpg

chigganv

30/1/19
VRF Max - wrapped (picture below)
Amazing. In order to lighten up the gold tone, i polished it with normal gold polishing cloth, then even a bit with cape cod! I still don't see any steel - plus i wear it quite often.

I have only heard good about the VRF wrappings so far.

The noob platings, not so good.

The arf plating, divided opinions. Some say they are good, some not.

SingG990

1/6/15
Curious if BP or GMF wrapped gold plating/wrapped are just as good as VRF/ARF

chigganv

30/1/19
SingG990 BP i've heard good about as well! GMF I dont know, havent read much about them.

But wrappings much hold longer than platings I believe.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
For years the BP wrapped versions were the gold standard in coatings. I recently bought a BP wrapped TT Bluesy which turned out to look EXACTLY like its $500 cheaper GMF sibling, covered SEL sides and all. I am of the opinion that since you can't possibly know how thick the coatings are, you are better off not spending the high dollars. I swiched to the Noob.

Reactions: SuperBatman

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate