• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the best 36mm Rolex date just ootb

Adam270

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/2/18
Redcar northeast England
hi I would like to get my wife a Rolex date just and would like to know which is the best ootb, are the gold wrap watches any good or should you stay away from them thanks in advance for all your help

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Interesting topic, as i am about to get a 36 datejust myself.

I understand that the djf has a better datefont - but what about the general fit and feel - isn't the ARF superior in that regard?
Plus, i read in another thread that the arf dial markers are more refined than djf's and on top the bezel of the arf seems to be rhodium plated - talkin' about 116234 here.

Decisions, decisions - anybody got both, the djf and the arf to give us a qualified statement? =)

Edit: i obviously don't care about the datewheel.

Last edited:

Suux88

22/4/12

I understand that the djf has a better datefont - but what about the general fit and feel - isn't the ARF superior in that regard?
Plus, i read in another thread that the arf dial markers are more refined than djf's and on top the bezel of the arf seems to be rhodium plated - talkin' about 116234 here.

Decisions, decisions - anybody got both, the djf and the arf to give us a qualified statement? =)

I have a ARF 41 for myself
and a DJF36 for my fiance

DJF fit and feel ootb is just as good, and datefont is better.
Mechanism feels better when winding / setting IMO

Reactions: Itto

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09

I've got the DJF and I can say it's a great watch. Never had an ARF Datejust but I had an ARF Submariner, and I can't see any difference in terms of build quality. I also had a BP Datejust for almost a couple of years and the general feel was way worse than the DJF (more rounded edges where they should be sharper, oyster polished links not mirrorlike and slightly bent on the sides, etc). Another thing that made me decide for the DJF is that it uses an Asian 2824-2 so it's super reliable and should last many many years.

This is my old BP Datejust (which I sold last year):

VxrOoh.jpg

And these are from my current DJF, which I don't plan to sell any time soon. Everything is better, fluted bezel, bracelet, clasp, dial, date font, etc:

Vxr5R8.jpg

VxrBm3.jpg

Vx5Zwb.jpg

Vx5Ep2.jpg

therevenant

20/9/18

I prefer the ARF but it depends if you want to mod or not.

ARF:
+ you can mod until you get something very close to a gen
+ the bracelet is amazing (despite some people saying they had problems with the clasp)
+ more expensive feel and look, especially if you compare the model with the fluted bezel
- logo is too high up on the dial, wrong position
- DW font is too bold

DJ
+ better font
+/- dial has the rolex logo in the correct position but the dial doesn't look better than the ARF
- difficult to mod

enclosed there's a pic of my ARF :)
9aadd9016b7c9b31047b3fa38e2f5371.jpg
b81dc640c63c49bf9ccfc98fb5ae1564.jpg

Reactions: Itto

Adam270

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/2/18
Redcar northeast England
How bad are the gold wrapped watches as the watch my wife wears now is 2tone so I am sure she would pick a two tone one I have a arf sub and can nock the quality I just would like to get her the best one possible. Any ideas which one I should go for

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
In my opinion, DJF wins hands down OOTB.
What I like:
- 2824 movement
- fantastically well finished hands
- great cyclops/xtal, really clear, good magnification
- very good datewheel, all numbers are centered, font is good (even though not roulette, but you don't get that on any DJ rep OOTB)
- dial is good

On both ARF and DJF, the bracelets are very solid feeling, no rattling etc.
On DJF the cyclops and datewindow appear a bit off to the right. You can sometimes see the minute track on the outer ring of the dial in the cyclops. For me, not a big issue. But frankening with Gen xtal probably won't work, as cyclops might not be directly over the datewindow.

But yeah, if you wanna have a great, solid, well made DJ out the box, get the DJF.

Now some pics.

V9xatU.jpg

V9x3QD.jpg

V9x528.jpg

V92ZSb.jpg

V92Du3.jpg

V92EQ2.jpg

V92b9Z.jpg

V92Wtd.jpg

V9216R.jpg

V92JSg.jpg

V92UQa.jpg

V92R3y.jpg

V92s6q.jpg

V92M9G.jpg

therevenant

20/9/18
In my opinion, DJF wins hands down OOTB.
What I like:
- 2824 movement
- fantastically well finished hands
- great cyclops/xtal, really clear, good magnification
- very good datewheel, all numbers are centered, font is good (even though not roulette, but you don't get that on any DJ rep OOTB)
- dial is good

On both ARF and DJF, the bracelets are very solid feeling, no rattling etc.
On DJF the cyclops and datewindow appear a bit off to the right. You can sometimes see the minute track on the outer ring of the dial in the cyclops. For me, not a big issue. But frankening with Gen xtal probably won't work, as cyclops might not be directly over the datewindow.

But yeah, if you wanna have a great, solid, well made DJ out the box, get the DJF.

Now some pics.

V9xatU.jpg

V9x3QD.jpg

V9x528.jpg

V92ZSb.jpg

V92Du3.jpg

V92EQ2.jpg

V92b9Z.jpg

V92Wtd.jpg

V9216R.jpg

V92JSg.jpg

V92UQa.jpg

V92R3y.jpg

V92s6q.jpg

V92M9G.jpg

daaaamn... beautiful pics... is it the DJF without any gen parts?? impressive

Reactions: Stratoblaster

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Couldn't agree more hadamokel. And hats off to your photography skills, gorgeous pics of a gorgeous watch!

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
Damn mate, post some wristies of that beast!

Will do so sir, I should get it back from my watchmaker tomorrow, date changing mechanism broke so he dropped a Swiss ETA in and waterproofed it to 10 atm.
Will post pictures then ;)