• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fix loose 3135 seconds hand - need advice

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Hi guys!

The seconds pinion on my sh3135 was slightly bent so I had to change the part with another 3135-360 pinion wheel salvaged from an old sh movement .

I have a Gen pair of datejust hands I am using. Hour and min hand went in fine but the seconds hand looks to have the pipe too loose. Or the pinion is smaller in diameter.

I barely have to use force to push the hand in and after doing so, it spins freely when tilting the watch. If I flip the movement upside-down the hand just drops.

I've read about several methods on how to tighten pipes on watch hands but buying a bergeon tool set just for one hand seems a bit too much.

Even the pin vise method looks a bit frightening tbh.

So my plan is to simply use some glue to keep the hand in place.

Any advice on what glue I should be using to be able to pull the hand out for a future service!?

Thx !

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hey bro, you can try carefully pinching the second hands tube with a strong pair of tweezers. Stick the hand on some rodico, the tube will close pretty easily. Just don't over squeeze it til you see how much force is needed.

If you decide to use glue, GS Hypo cement is always safe and is removable later. Just use a really tiny bit and watch out for glue strings. Put some inside the tube well and wipe the exterior clean. Using a tiny oiler to insert the glue should work well.

15560044920191.jpg

Last edited:

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Hey bro, you can try carefully pinching the second hands tube with a strong pair of tweezers. Stick the hand on some rodico, the tube will close pretty easily. Just don't over squeeze it til you see how much force is needed.

If you decide to use glue, GS Hypo cement is always safe and is removable later. Just use a really tiny bit and watch out for glue strings. Put some inside the tube well and wipe the exterior clean. Using a tiny oiler to insert the glue should work well.

15560044920191.jpg

Thanks KJ2020 ! I have tried the tweezers method but it doesn't seem to work. The pipe is pretty stiff . I am afffaid to apply more pressure . My biggest fear is i'll clamp the pipe flap or the pipe breaks .

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You could try the pin vise method. The tube will probably be too small for it to be squeezed in the center of the vise but you can grab the tube in between 2 of the side channels created by the vise teeth. Placing it near the edge of the bench allows for more precise grabbing. You can rest your wrists on the bench for steady hands. This method allows for a more controlled squeeze.

15560338579012.jpg

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
You could try the pin vise method. The tube will probably be too small for it to be squeezed in the center of the vise but you can grab the tube in between 2 of the side channels created by the vise teeth. Placing it near the edge of the bench allows for more precise grabbing. You can rest your wrists on the bench for steady hands. This method allows for a more controlled squeeze.

15560338579012.jpg

Thanks mate! Thanks for the help and for the cool pics!! Will try the vise grip first. If that doesn't do it. I ll go for the glue :)

Reactions: KJ2020

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Do you still have the old pinion? You could insert the seconds hand in the old pinion and then try to pinch the seconds hand. This way you won't bend the hole too much (as the pinion inside will prevent it). Don't know how difficult will it be to take the seconds hand out of the pinion, though..

Reactions: Spatiumtemporis

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Thanks for the help guys ! KJ2020 Hinclimincli

​I tried pinching the pipe with a presto tool but using even moderate pressure didn't do the job. Using the old tube is actually a great ideea but I lost that.
​​​​​​
So i ended up using a tiny tiny bit of glue on the tip of the pinion.

​​​​​​​
Screenshot-20190424-074727-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Nice one! I'm glad to see you sorted it out! Which glue did you use, by the way?

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Nice one! I'm glad to see you sorted it out! Which glue did you use, by the way?

i used soething from loctite . Not home right now but i will let u know later. I made some tests before. It seems i'll be able to pull the hand out for future servicing .

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Looks fabulous! You don't happen to have the rep minute hand from that watch do you? I've been trying to get one for a while now and every time my TD can't get BP to complete the deal. The WSO ones don't match and they sent me lumed hands twice even though I ordered non-lumed. Geez...

Really like that Roman numeral dial with the black accents in the hour markers. NIce work!

Reactions: Spatiumtemporis

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Looks fabulous! You don't happen to have the rep minute hand from that watch do you? I've been trying to get one for a while now and every time my TD can't get BP to complete the deal. The WSO ones don't match and they sent me lumed hands twice even though I ordered non-lumed. Geez...

Really like that Roman numeral dial with the black accents in the hour markers. NIce work!

i have all hands and 2 dials. One silver one blue . I think i have 2 crystals as well . thanks again for the tips !