• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AR coating and the LEC symbol at 6 o'clock explained.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
i wasnt aware that Rolex used AR on anything but the cyclops, i thought they liked the sparkles from non AR shit

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Interesting post, I've read a number of his and I would say he is generally knowledgeable and credible.

However I can't say that I've ever seen a gen rolex with AR anywhere but under the footprint of the cyclops. There are pics here on the forum of a gen crystal with the cyclops removed and you can clearly see exactly where the AR coating is, only under the footprint of the cyclops. Additionally, if Rolex does put it anywhere else, it isn't working as the reflectivity from a gen crystal is so great you can totally block visibility of the dial with the right angle of glare.

Maybe those instruction sheets he reproduced in the blog apply to crystals with aftermarket AR added. Ive read on the gen forum about people doing that, though most regret it and later remove it from the top side as it isn't durable and it scratches off over time in an ugly way.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I think the platinum day dates used to come with AR crystals. But I think it was just single side AR. Other than that, they don’t use AR except on the cyclops now.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I think the platinum day dates used to come with AR crystals. But I think it was just single side AR. Other than that, they don’t use AR except on the cyclops now.

Under the cyclops footprint, on the underside of tbe crystal, is what I've seen. Single side AR is a something I'm going to ask Prof to do on my next crystal upgrade. It gives you the most AR you can get without risk of external wear. Not gen-like, but we are our own critics anyway.

Reactions: RBB224 and guru