• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Advice, is it worth buying Gen GMT master ii?

Sedonut

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/7/17
Probably good appreciation. Excellent feel. If you wear it you will have expensive repair bills.

I had one deteriorate while inside my safe, the dial started to discolor. My Gen Explorer II, broke, I'm looking at a $900 repair bill, it's sitting in my safe. If it were me I would buy a gen and wear a good replica. Perhaps wear the gen once a month.

Dinan19

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/7/18
Yh that what i was thinking its also a good investment especially now the black green is discontinued.

Jlabrego02

Banned
21/7/13
I wouldn’t buy it as an investment as they’re are other ways to invest that will appreciate more. Personally a watch that isn’t worn is a wasted watch. Just buy the gen and wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Mr.Marbella

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
Buy them now before the crazy price spike since they discontinued the LN this year.

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
I wouldn’t buy it as an investment as they’re are other ways to invest that will appreciate more. Personally a watch that isn’t worn is a wasted watch. Just buy the gen and wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

+1.

Buy to wear. If investment is your goal, then join the hoards that have been trying to gauge the watch market for decades...generally, and more than likely, you are going to get better investment elsewhere if your aim is to invest. If you love the watch then buy it and where it.

edit: And as mentioned above about repairs...You are not alone, there are several of my gens that need servicing...some have been done $$$$ and some have been sitting for awhile waiting for service...the cost is not cheap, especially brands with in house movements.

Reactions: KSwatches

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
My philosophy is a bit in between: I buy the watches that I like because I want to wear them, but I try to favour the ones that are going to appreciate and not depreciate. It's not to make short term money but it's good to know (bet ;) ) that you have a good resell value in case you want out one day. Also these watches tend to be a bit less common (hence their prices going up) which is always nice :)

For the 116710 I think you can still buy at a decent price and that in a year they may get closer to the price points of the newer pepsi or batman. That seems to be the trend on the gray market.

Sedonut

Banned
31/7/17
The other factor is how much money you have to invest. If a oem watch is less than 10% of your invest able funds, consider it a diversification. If a watch is all of your money, no, invest in something else. If it happens to need repair when you need to sell it, it was not much of an investment. If things get really, really bad, both Ferrari and Rolex prices could drop. It does happen.

No one NEEDS a Ferrari or a Rolex !!

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
As has been mentioned before, nothing beats a gen! But buy a gen that will not lose much of its value the longer you own it. A Rolex fits that bill. Omegas don’t tend to appreciate as much as Rolexes do, so I’d sell the Omega, buy the Rolex, then at some later time buy that same Omega you like do much. It’ll probably be around the same price as it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: thorne

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
The other factor is how much money you have to invest. If a oem watch is less than 10% of your invest able funds, consider it a diversification. If a watch is all of your money, no, invest in something else. If it happens to need repair when you need to sell it, it was not much of an investment. If things get really, really bad, both Ferrari and Rolex prices could drop. It does happen.

True. Luxury watch prices dropped like a brick on the used market in 2008/2009 after the meltdown and they will indeed drop again during the next recession. Keep your powder dry, your eyes peeled for bargains, and that's when you should buy your pre-owned gens. I remember GMTIIC prices dipped down below $5K. In fact, a dentist on TRF took one in on trade for some dental work that his client couldn't pay. He ended up selling it on the boards for around $4,995. There were tons of others all going for $5K to $5,500 tops. If you think about it, there is zero reason why those same pieces that sold in 2008, 2009, 2010 for $5,000 are worth a penny more today. They should not have depreciated in value, sure, but it makes zero sense that those same serial numbers would have appreciated in value this much. A 2007 GMTIIC is not and should not be worth the same as a 2017 GMTIIC on the pre-owned market, yet the idiots over on TRF all seem to think so and gleefully cheer when Rolex jacks up their prices each year. This is why I say it is these pre-owned pieces that are the ones that are going to decline in price at the next recession. Suddenly, those drunken Kool Aid drinkers are going to be laid off or without their bonuses, and the first thing they will do is try to sell their overpriced 10 year old watch. With nobody buying, the prices will drop. Beers all around if I am wrong!:drinks_cheers:

Dinan19

4/7/18
yh i don't think prices will drop on the ceramic Stainless steel GMTII as they are discontinued now, look at the paul newman thats almost x5 more than it was a 2 decades ago.

Dinan19

4/7/18

thats the thing, i love my omega but ive been wanting a GMT for so many years and now its bloody discontinued and prices will sky rocket. I will have to sell a lot of my luxury items if i were to purchase the GMT

Tobel

6/7/17
thats the thing, i love my omega but ive been wanting a GMT for so many years and now its bloody discontinued and prices will sky rocket. I will have to sell a lot of my luxury items if i were to purchase the GMT

It's always a bet, but in the long run rolex watches' value tend to increase. So if this is really a dream watch, then delaying the purchase would just end up being more expensive.

Reactions: Dinan19

jembediah

Renowned Member
20/5/14
100% worth to buy the gen,it's discontinued this year and price could increase and no reps of GMT master are close to gen due to the 3186 movement

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
yh i don't think prices will drop on the ceramic Stainless steel GMTII as they are discontinued now, look at the paul newman thats almost x5 more than it was a 2 decades ago.

Out of all the modern Rolexes, the GMTIIc is hands down my favorite and I would buy that in gen. Go for it. All I am saying is let's check back after the next recession and see what happens. I think prices are so overinflated right now with both vintage and modern pieces that they have to correct. Chrono24, WatchUSeek, and the TRF sales board were literally overflowing with stainless steel watches as the last recession raged on. At one point I counted 2 dozen GMTIICs all for sale at the same time, all under $6K and guys could not move them fast enough before the next ones would come on for sale at a lower price. Like I said, a dentist actually took one on barter because his client couldn't afford his dental work and that one sold under $5K. We are now over 10 years into a bull market and the first personal items to get sold after liquidating cash and equities are overpriced watches, cars, and boats. Just sayin...

saxo

Renowned Member
21/3/16
Definitely worth the gen gmt master ii. That price for a 2013 is a steal. Reps have terrible inserts and a unstable movement (may vary). Well if you have cash to spare, go for it mate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
04268168ed0d4c67533cafb4f190191c.jpg

I have the gen LN and it's awesome. Buy it now would be my recommendation but I'm obviously biased as I own one. I travel internationally often so it's great to have the quickset hour change.

Even more awesome to me now since it's been discontinued haha. I can already see scalpers pricing it at a 30% hike over the last week locally.

Your gen will always appreciate in value. And this will sell quickly if you want to move it later for any reason.

A solid franken won't - from my experience there is a limit beyond what folks will pay for a franken.

At a point the franken won't sell and you'll end up needing to part out the gen parts. Unfortunately the franken fever means most of us will pass that point without even realising it, more often than not. Specially when you get gen parts at a good deal - that's when common sense tends to go out the window.

There's lots of people who will appreciate that amazing franken which is close to 90% gen with all the gen parts but precious few will put cash down for it when you want to sell.