• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF 116610 bezel paint flaking off!

Jbrahm

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/10/18
Hi all,

My ARF paint around the triangle and pip and index markers have flaked off. What are my options for fixing this? Does a gen bezel fit? If I can paint over, what paint should I use?

Thank you!

Jbrahm

30/10/18
Thank you for the replies! That procedure looks very difficult. I suppose I can get my watchmaker to do that.

Here is the picture of the terrible flaking. I also included pictures of my ARF after I replaced the datewheel. It looked pretty much spot on afterwards. I hear changing it to a gen crystal would make a major improvement. Could someone show me how obvious the difference would be?

Anyways, here are the pics. What are my options? Does anyone know if I can use a gen bezel? I see Clean Factory is coming up with a bezel so I suppose that is one option.
VyXqmf.jpg

VyXdRQ.jpg

VyXYhA.jpg

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Thank you for the replies! That procedure looks very difficult. I suppose I can get my watchmaker to do that.

It's not too difficult, the skills that you need is to handle a small paint brush. Let me propose you a procedure that will keep
you "safe" and create a stronger result.

a) Find a photo that compares gen vs rep bezel.
b) Show it to a car paint shop or a graffiti paint cans shop, to decide the "right" tone of silver.
c) Protect the crystal and the rest of watch with masking tape. It's not a need, just for your piece of mind. Do not disasseble anything.
d) Make a small quantity of strong digreaser (for dishes or engine use) and use an ear stick to wash inside the markers as good as you can.
This is a critical step to create the "perfect" bond for your paint.
e) Apply the paint inside with a small paint brush. Don't mind if you have excess paint around them.
f) Let it dry for an hour and rub bezels' surface with a small (straight) piece of wood wrapped with thin cloth to clean the excess of color.

You've donne it! Blow air to clean them if needed. You can get it wet occassionaly but don't wear it in the sea.

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
Motlow paint marker is the quick easy cheap fix that doesn't look half bad

Reactions: Jbrahm

Jbrahm

30/10/18
It's not too difficult, the skills that you need is to handle a small paint brush. Let me propose you a procedure that will keep
you "safe" and create a stronger result.

Thank you sir! OK I'll give that a try.

Motlow paint marker is the quick easy cheap fix that doesn't look half bad

Thank you sir! I will order some Motlow.

So no one has attempted to replaced the ARF bezel with Gen yet?

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
How long did you have your sub when it started to flake? Also, How often did you clean the watch with soap and water? Did you put it in a pool once?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jbrahm

30/10/18
How long did you have your sub when it started to flake? Also, How often did you clean the watch with soap and water? Did you put it in a pool once?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I received it at the end of November 2018. I never clean it with soap and water. I just wipe it with my shirt and I never went in the pool with it. I don't even remember washing my hands and getting it wet. It seems pretty weak paint to me.

I got the Molotow Metallic Silver and I tried it. The color is off. You can see the ARF paint is more white than silver. Does not look good. From a distance, it is passable but up close. No.

See the pip area below. Any recommendations on paint?

VIhnnK.jpg

Reactions: vcappp

Seefeld

Proud supporter
Supporter
Certified
22/10/18
(Thanking KJ2020 for his tutorial) molotow paint mod is not that bad imho! But I agree a bit whiter and a professional hand could make it perfect
07cb59355dca768c772a84802795ad2e.jpg
48f335938c63c1656a7b8c3140247e2a.jpg

Jbrahm

30/10/18
OK I finally got the Clean Factory bezel on. It's great! Better than the paints I tried but time will tell if it will hold up much longer than the ARF bezel paint. The bezel teeth are grippier and fits more tightly than the ARF bezel that wobbles a lot more when you press on it side to side.

VN4vga.jpg

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
ARF number insert paint flaking, is this a big issues ? VRF has this defect.

tenx139

Renowned Member
16/5/19
US
I have the ARF A2824 lv, the paint on the right side of the triangle is gone , I did go swimmimjng with the watch and afterwards it was missing.

tenx139

Renowned Member
16/5/19
US
My solution was to contact the TD were I purchased watch and ordered a replacement for $60.

onewatch2018

Renowned Member
19/4/18
Nice! Which paint / marker are you using, and how did you remove the excess?
I used a Sharpie permanent marker (metallic silver) and I used a cotton bud dipped in acetone to remove the excess.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dashing