• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF 2019 Batman 126710?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This is a highly photoshopped image. Not representative of real life. Gen texture is smooth and shines like a mirror. Under ultra high magnification, it is possible to see nano particular texture but under high magnification it is still smooth and in real life is should look smooth like a mirror. I feel that there are no hand paint techniques that won’t make your watch look home made

That image came from Rolex's website, along with this one from a video. So maybe you're right, IDK. I don't agree that my paint job makes my watch look home made though. It looked way more home made with the Noob stock insert on it. But ultimately we really only have to please ourselves.

VNaz28.jpg

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
This is a better representation of what gen numeral texture looks like under magnification (ie it is essentially smooth):

3d2b8dc4fb9a457fa6f39cf4b08145bf.jpg

Under ultra high magnification and cleaver picture editing, you can see nano particular structure on gen numerals but this is not the same as seeing rough micro blobs of home applied paint...that will make your bezel look off in real life on the wrist (may look good in pics if that’s your goal)

You will see very similar texture on those numbers if you zoom in like pic KJ2020 posted.

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
You will see very similar texture on those numbers if you zoom in like pic KJ2020 posted.

Correct bro. It’s nano particles not micro particles..and certainly not macro blobs of paint and brush strokes.

Essentially zoomed images on the net are edited with cleaver lighting and shadows.

In real life and when looking very VERY carefully in bright light, should look smooth as a mirror. If you can see any texture, even when looking closely, then it’ll look off and it will reflect light in all directions.

I like how gen numerals are recessed and have some depth. This is what bothers me the most about rep numerals - they lack gen depth and 3D effect. I feel like adding paint diminishes crisp 3D effect and reduces depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

hrail

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/11
These are mines, GMF BLRO with blue dial, orered from Andrew (Trustytime) and BP BLNR from Ryan (Intime), the Jubilee bracelet of the Batman was ordered separately from Andrew too.

IMG_0870.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg

Last edited:

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
These are mines, GMF BLRO with blue dial, orered from Andrew (Trustytime) and BP BLNR from Ryan (Intime), the Jubilee bracelet of the Batman was ordered separately from Andrew too.

IMG_0870.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg

Both look great!!!!
can you post more pics of Pepsi under different lighting, bright vs half light.

Reactions: KJ2020 and Mancster

bootlegboy

Renowned Member
14/6/18
I know this is a GMF Batman thread but has anybody tried fitting the GMF Jubilee bracelet on the Noob GMT Master II cases? Does it fit?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I like how gen numerals are recessed and have some depth. This is what bothers me the most about rep numerals - they lack gen depth and 3D effect. I feel like adding paint diminishes crisp 3D effect and reduces depth.

This is so true. But when your rep starts to look like this, doing a paint mod is really the lesser of two evils. At least we can stand to look at it again, lol.

15273797370771.jpg

15273792758598.jpg

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
That image came from Rolex's website, along with this one from a video. So maybe you're right, IDK. I don't agree that my paint job makes my watch look home made though. It looked way more home made with the Noob stock insert on it. But ultimately we really only have to please ourselves.

VNaz28.jpg

Stills and the video will be built in Maya / 3DS Max / Cinema 4D. The real thing would look nothing near as perfect!

I think someone made the point earlier that the texture at microscopic level does not translate to appearance at near level - this is correct. It’s the appearance that matters. These stills and video from Rolex would have been made to give an impression of detail, perfection and finishing - they should not be used an an example of what the real thing looks like.

Reactions: watchboi

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
...I think someone made the point earlier that the texture at microscopic level does not translate to appearance at near level ...

This has been my point all along. It's what you see at arm's length that matters and paint mods can be a huge improvement in that regard if done well.

Reactions: watchboi

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
Is there a way to tighten up the bezel? I have 3 GMF GMTs (batman/Pepsi/root beer) all with different degrees of bezel tightness with the batman being a bit too loose.

Ive taken it off and had a look at how it’s constructed but can’t really see what controls tightness. Maybe it’s just how loose that wire with the 3 knobs that rotate around the bumpy toothed ring is...? Sorry best description I’ve got at the mo’.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Is there a way to tighten up the bezel? I have 3 GMF GMTs (batman/Pepsi/root beer) all with different degrees of bezel tightness with the batman being a bit too loose.

Ive taken it off and had a look at how it’s constructed but can’t really see what controls tightness. Maybe it’s just how loose that wire with the 3 knobs that rotate around the bumpy toothed ring is...? Sorry best description I’ve got at the mo’.

There are only two possible areas of play. The wire ring posts to the bezel underside and the wire ring post bases to the case sculpted ring.

Vgq1xb.jpg

VgqQZ2.jpg

I've not had a looseness issue with any of mine, but if I were faced with this issue and intent on a solution here's how I would approach it. First, with the pieces disassembled (including insert removed), I would place the wire ring onto the case and see if there is rotational play between the oval post bases and the sculpted indents on the case ring. Are the oval bases too small for the indents?

The oval post bases are very thin and a point of constant wear as the bezel moves but they shouldn't be worn already and if they are too small it would point toward poor machining tolerance. If that's the case there's really no easy fix short of a better quality replacement wire (not likely to be available).

Next, place the wire ring into the underside of the bezel and see if there is rotational play between the posts and their corresponding holes in the bezel. If there is, that could contribute to bezel looseness. There should be some inner and outer play between the posts and the bezel holes so the post bases can move in and out as they slide in and out of the case ring indents.

Maybe forcing the posts to stay at the innermost points of the bezel post holes would effectively decrease the diameter of the wire ring enough to tighten up the bezel. This can be tested by using a small piece of wire or toothpick as a wedge in the post holes, on the outside of the posts (inserted from above, with the bezel on the case).

If that helps and the bezel still turns OK, then the posts didn't need as much in and out play as they had and they can be permanently fixed to their new positions. Cut small wedges of wire (single pieces of the right size, maybe 22 guage) and epoxy them in place. Do that with the wire ring out of the way so it can still be installed and removed normally. Alternately you could reduce the bezel post hole sizes by filling the outer end of it with epoxy or solder. JB Weld epoxy is pretty easily shaped, and completely sandable when dry. Use masking tape on one side, fill with glue, shape it and remove excess. Sand when dry.

I'm just putting some ideas out there, maybe this works or maybe it will spark further discussion.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've also heard of people using dental floss, maybe someone can explain where they put it.

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
There are only two possible areas of play. The wire ring posts to the bezel underside and the wire ring post bases to the case sculpted ring.

I've not had a looseness issue with any of mine, but if I were faced with this issue and intent on a solution here's how I would approach it. First, with the pieces disassembled (including insert removed), I would place the wire ring onto the case and see if there is rotational play between the oval post bases and the sculpted indents on the case ring. Are the oval bases too small for the indents?

The oval post bases are very thin and a point of constant wear as the bezel moves but they shouldn't be worn already and if they are too small it would point toward poor machining tolerance. If that's the case there's really no easy fix short of a better quality replacement wire (not likely to be available).

Next, place the wire ring into the underside of the bezel and see if there is rotational play between the posts and their corresponding holes in the bezel. If there is, that could contribute to bezel looseness. There should be some inner and outer play between the posts and the bezel holes so the post bases can move in and out as they slide in and out of the case ring indents.

Maybe forcing the posts to stay at the innermost points of the bezel post holes would effectively decrease the diameter of the wire ring enough to tighten up the bezel. This can be tested by using a small piece of wire or toothpick as a wedge in the post holes, on the outside of the posts (inserted from above, with the bezel on the case).

If that helps and the bezel still turns OK, then the posts didn't need as much in and out play as they had and they can be permanently fixed to their new positions. Cut small wedges of wire (single pieces of the right size, maybe 22 guage) and epoxy them in place. Do that with the wire ring out of the way so it can still be installed and removed normally. Alternately you could reduce the bezel post hole sizes by filling the outer end of it with epoxy or solder. JB Weld epoxy is pretty easily shaped, and completely sandable when dry. Use masking tape on one side, fill with glue, shape it and remove excess. Sand when dry.

I'm just putting some ideas out there, maybe this works or maybe it will spark further discussion.

Ha, brilliant. I knew I could rely on KJ2020 with a solid informed response along with relevant photos. Thanks so much man! I’ll get into that when I’m ready to deal with more frustration. First thing I should do though is switch around wire rings and white plastic gasket things from my three GMTs and see what that does.

(I did mean to request that no one suggests anything to do with dental floss in my initial query)

gigetto

Looking Around
9/6/19
buongiorno a tutti, sono nuovo del gruppo ho letto molti post e sono un po' confuso, vorrei acquistare il mio primo clone gmt batman qual'e il migliore? noob.gmf ? movimento sa3186 oppure 2836?

Last edited:

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Noob insert is unusable with or without a paint mod. Must be replaced with something different.

Noob insert is the one on the watch

lU4Ga.jpg

Which version from Noob is this?

I recently acquired a secondhand Noob (I think V8).. Had the insert platinum modded.. Blue color looks good, and the 'speed bump' isn't as bad as some I've seen. I think it varies from batch to batch..

In any case I may try to source a GMF insert to check how it compares.. Will post results

Of course nothing can match gen 100% though.. Just a battle of which factory offers the least obvious flaws.