• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF 2019 Batman 126710?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Both versions of recent rep GMTs have independent GMT hands. ICHS vs CHS primarily means two things.

ICHS - GMT hand is on the bottom of the stack, unlike the gen (hence the acronym INCORRECT hand stack). It has a reliable 2836 movement with GMT bits that is easy to work on with readily available parts.

CHS - Hour hand is on the bottom like the gen. The movement is a base 2824 with add on Chinese jury rigged parts to allow for the CHS. The movement is delicate and must be set and operated in a certain way to keep from breaking. When it does, replacement movements or parts are not available.

The GMT hand is only near the hour hand for 2 hours a day. In 30 years of owning a gen Rolex GMT Master, no one has ever noticed or asked about my hand stack. I don't own and would not buy a CHS rep except to tear it down out of curiosity.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...set-the-time-on-the-gmt-ii-chs-a3186-movement

https://www.repgeek.com/rolex-revie...noob-gmt-chs-thread-award-winning-review.html

One little 10 cent spring turns your whole CHS watch into a paperweight.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/modification-repairs/7448328-spring-for-chs-wheel

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Both versions of recent rep GMTs have independent GMT hands.....

The CHS Rolex clone powered is pictured in action here. The hour hand can be set independently as can be seen towards the end of the vid. The GMT hand can be set in tandem (Tridem?) with the hour and minute hand. This is a "true" or "traveler GMT." It works the way a Rolex GMT works. This works for people who spend a lot of time on planes.

The ICHS ETA powered is pictured in action here. The hour hand cannot be set independently. The GMT hand can be sent independently. This is a "caller", or "non-true" GMT. This works for people who spend a lot of time at home or at the office calling people in different time zones.

So with the CHS you get close to the "real thing" as it works coming out of the R-factory. Not quite as seen in one of the threads that you put up but at least you can set the hour hand independently.
With the ICHS you get the ETA-way

I take your other points and am leaning towards a ICHS myself.

Last edited:

Berner

Looking Around
30/7/19
not so bad

55512129_165332341126009_2014913538174222336_n.jpg

56119373_165332361126007_1990561069310935040_n.jpg

Look fake

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The CHS Rolex clone powered is pictured in action here. The hour hand can be set independently as can be seen towards the end of the vid. The GMT hand can be set in tandem (Tridem?) with the hour and minute hand. This is a "true" or "traveler GMT." It works the way a Rolex GMT works. This works for people who spend a lot of time on planes.

The ICHS ETA powered is pictured in action here. The hour hand cannot be set independently. The GMT hand can be sent independently. This is a "caller", or "non-true" GMT. This works for people who spend a lot of time at home or at the office calling people in different time zones.

So with the CHS you get close to the "real thing" as it works coming out of the R-factory. Not quite as seen in one of the threads that you put up but at least you can set the hour hand independently.
With the ICHS you get the ETA-way

I take your other points and am leaning towards a ICHS myself.

IDK who came up with the descriptors of "traveler", "caller", or "non-true" GMT, but from the first Rolex REAL GMT 6542 in 1954 until the first GMT II 16760 in 1983, neither the hour hand nor the GMT hands were independently adjustable. That's almost 30 years of "true GMTs" where those descriptors don't apply. The rotating bezel lets you refer to any 2nd time zone without touching the crown whether you're calling or traveling.

The CHS rep movements make you move the hour hand 24 times per date change, exercising the very 10 cent spring that can break your movement. I've always found that to be a nuisance on my gen compared to a quickset like most gens and reps. Why anyone would choose the CHS just to have the hour hand on the bottom when the crown setting direction is still reversed is beyond me given the much higher failure rate and little to no hope for repair.

Reactions: AussieWatcher

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
IDK who came up with the descriptors of "traveler", "caller", or "non-true" GMT, but from the first Rolex REAL GMT 6542 in 1954 until the first GMT II 16760 in 1983, neither the hour hand nor the GMT hands were independently adjustable. That's almost 30 years of "true GMTs" where those descriptors don't apply. The rotating bezel lets you refer to any 2nd time zone without touching the crown whether you're calling or traveling.
The CHS rep movements make you move the hour hand 24 times per date change, exercising the very 10 cent spring that can break your movement. I've always found that to be a nuisance on my gen compared to a quickset like most gens and reps. Why anyone would choose the CHS just to have the hour hand on the bottom when the crown setting direction is still reversed is beyond me given the much higher failure rate and little to no hope for repair.
I found the terms like "flyer" and "caller" GMT as well as the "it is not a true GMT cuz you can't quickset the hour hand" on review sites like this review of the Tudor GMT hodinkee and ablogtowatch . Which than triggers other people to make the same point that you made. I found this out as I was looking for a GMT and was actually looking at the ETA powered Christopher Ward C65 GMT. That because i have a mum who lives in New Zealand and friends in the Old Country. On prior trips to NZ I used a Poljot OKEAH with a rotating internal bezel as a second timezone indicator but now I felt the lust for a real GMT. So now I have to decide between getting a gen GW or a rep GMTII of which the Batman has always sang to me, was also looki g at the one that you reviewed but that seems to have gone up quite a bit un price, plus a rep OP or Aquaterra, or maybe one of these noob Daytonas that everyone is raving about .... decisions decisions....

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieWatcher

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Both versions of recent rep GMTs have independent GMT hands. ​​​​​​​

Not quite as seen in one of the threads that you put up but at least you can set the hour hand independently.

You're right bro, that was stated incorrectly. I should have stated it "Both versions of recent rep GMTs provide for the GMT hand to be set with any desired offset from local time".

I was highlighting the difference between these two movements and the DG2813 which does not provide the feature mentioned above. There is a DG2813 variant, the DG3804 which adds the feature just like the 2836 with an independent ICHS GMT hand. Both the DG movements are low beat, and considerably cheaper than the two we've been discussing.

Last edited:

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
A quick question why everybody keeps saying the CHS is a paper weight once the movement brakes? Don't understand why people say you can repair the ICHS but for some reason the CHS movement seems to explode into pieces so it cannot be repaired at all.

Can't you just order a new movement if it cannot be fixed (though it might be possible to fix as well as this thread shows) ?

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
A quick question why everybody keeps saying the CHS is a paper weight once the movement brakes? Don't understand why people say you can repair the ICHS but for some reason the CHS movement seems to explode into pieces so it cannot be repaired at all.

Can't you just order a new movement if it cannot be fixed (though it might be possible to fix as well as this thread shows) ?

The problem is not in the movement itself but in a small custom piece that is used to do the transfer with the GMT module. This piece, which is quite fragile, is not available independently, and it doesn't seems that anyone has been able to source a new CHS movement without sourcing the whole watch.

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Okay, got it, thanks Tobel.

As I have the CHS on my wrist right now I probably should look into sourcing an extra movement from TDs.

Or once it brakes and I have the broken piece in my hand check if someone can replicate and reproduce this part.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

The Chinese are miracle workers when it comes to jury rigging movements to do what a gen movement does. For example, on chronographs they can make the running seconds hand work on the 12 oclock subdial when natively it works on the 9 oclock subdial. The CHS GMT is another example. It is a unique knock off movement that isn't made or sold anywhere else and they don't want to sell parts or the movement separately. The problem is every component is made as cheaply as humanly possible and that leads to frequent failure. So while you may get lucky and yours works for years before it dies, you may get several that break in short order. Either way it's pretty unlikely it can be repaired.

Take a look at the beginning of this thread to see how these CHS movements have to be handled, but also see here what can happen.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...t-ii-chs-a3186-movement?p=8006780#post8006780

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
The Chinese are miracle workers when it comes to jury rigging movements to do what a gen movement does. For example, on chronographs they can make the running seconds hand work on the 12 oclock subdial when natively it works on the 9 oclock subdial. The CHS GMT is another example. It is a unique knock off movement that isn't made or sold anywhere else and they don't want to sell parts or the movement separately. The problem is every component is made as cheaply as humanly possible and that leads to frequent failure. So while you may get lucky and yours works for years before it dies, you may get several that break in short order. Either way it's pretty unlikely it can be repaired.

Take a look at the beginning of this thread to see how these CHS movements have to be handled, but also see here what can happen.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...t-ii-chs-a3186-movement?p=8006780#post8006780

Thanks, I have read this thread and know how it should be handled. I'm thinking I will contact couple of TDs regards this and perhaps say there would be quite a handful of people who are ready to buy the movements separately if they are able to source them. If we can get here like ten people together maybe they have the interest to go after the movements if they can sell 10 in one go. I will let everybody know how it goes.

Reactions: KJ2020

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Might as well ask this here as all the GMT II experts are reading. If I would like to order the Jubilee bracelet for my Noob does it have be a Noob Jubilee or others will fit as well? Can I order one from TDs or they come only with the watch?

Ello22

Horology Curious
28/7/19
Hey guys been following this thread for a while now, I’m a newbie into replicas, can anyone point me into the direction of the batman with the more reliable movements on a oyster bracelet?