• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Daytona vs Noob V1-V2 and V2.2 Daytona vs ARF V2 Daytona

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
Seconds Chrono work, 9 and 3 does not.

It is funny that guy on video didnt say about non working chrono,maybe he didnt even wait more than minute and spot that lol

Genta2014

Patron
Certified
31/3/14
The printing on my arf dial pretty sharp and spot on , the one the video look much more like noob dials

masterpiece777

17/6/19
EUROPE
The printing on my arf dial pretty sharp and spot on , the one the video look much more like noob dials

Same here and also after my watchmaker mounted it in the case (with noob xtal and gen 2,3 gasket) it appeared not to be as creamy white when have the dail in hand. It’s very very close to gen IMO.

I have ordered a ARF bracelet the size of the sels are on one side: 19,98 and the other side: 19,97

My noob sels are exactly 20.00 mm on both sides.

My question is how much difference this will be.
Hopefully it will not give noticeable gabs.
So I can swap the full arf braclet/clasp.
Otherwise my last option will be to only change the removable links including clasp.

Sent from the RWI App

Last edited:

Bobi01

2/2/19
Very uncommon thing on gen
soft,instead of very sharp edges,polished like that or out of box from factory what do you think?

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Very uncommon thing on gen
soft,instead of very sharp edges,polished like that or out of box from factory what do you think?

Correct. This is how it should be.

I reshape all my noob cases like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
Hello everyone, just got my Noob (not sure which one, possibly a V1) fitted with an ARF dial (again, possibly V1) and a Clean Factory bezel back from red1 - he's a top bloke and I highly recommend him to anyone looking to mod/franken their watch! I may yet modify it further with gen hands/gears, a gen balance bridge and gen auto device module...

IdQhv.jpg

Thoughts? Please forgive the shoddy camera work and the fingerprints all over the bezel!

Last edited:

Bobi01

2/2/19
Hello everyone, just got my Noob (not sure which one, possibly a V1) fitted with an ARF dial (again, possibly V1) and a Clean Factory bezel back from red1 - he's a top bloke and I highly recommend him to anyone looking to mod/franken their watch! I may yet modify it further with gen hands/gears, a gen balance bridge and gen auto device module...

IdQhv.jpg

Thoughts? Please forgive the shoddy camera work and the fingerprints all over the bezel!

Your watch is amazing,and dial you have is arf v2 but updated corect thickness of subdials like gen

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
Your watch is amazing,and dial you have is arf v2 but updated corect thickness of subdials like gen

Thanks for letting me know - I can't remember exactly when I bought the dial so knowing the subdials are the correct thickness makes me very happy indeed!:drinks_cheers:

Reactions: Bobi01

srhoque

28/11/18

Now I can’t unsee this dial again :( I have the old ARF v2 (thin sub dials), this one looks much closer to gen.

Well, I guess time for a new dial...

Bobi01

2/2/19
Now I can’t unsee this dial again :( I have the old ARF v2 (thin sub dials), this one looks much closer to gen.

Well, I guess time for a new dial...
Lol bro i have updated dial but v2 still little longer pushers...
new batches have short pushers like gen too

srhoque

28/11/18

ARF and Noob needs to really become friends here. If they collaborate together, it’s a win-win for everyone except Rolex ????????

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18

I have no idea if my watch has the longer pushers or the shorter ones - my eyes aren't as good at picking out details like that but hopefully you could confirm that too? Maybe the angle I took the picture at doesn't help...?

Last edited:

Bobi01

2/2/19
I have no idea if my watch has the longer pushers or the shorter ones - my eyes aren't as good at picking out details like that but hopefully you could confirm that too? Maybe the angle I took the picture at doesn't help...?
Your base watch is noob so dont worry noob have perfect pushers

bosaftw

6/6/16
Germany
After having seen lots of gen SELs I have to admit the SELs of both Noob V3 and ARF V2 are pretty shitty lol
Yes they are nicely recessed but they are too long. It‘s difficult to explain but the gen SEL begins earlier to curve down, so the whole SEL is shorter than the lugs. The rep SEL goes till the edge of the lugs. I hope you understand what I mean.
Second thing is that gen has zero SEL gap. It fits just perfectly. My ARF has a little gap for example.

Another flaw is that the whole case is too rounded. The gen lugs have sharper edges. And on my ARF V2 the rehaut sits way too high.

In the end of course the ARF V2 and Noob V3 are great reps but even modding them together like many members do in this forum with CF bezel etc. it‘s still far away from being a super rep in my opinion.

Bobi01

2/2/19
After having seen lots of gen SELs I have to admit the SELs of both Noob V3 and ARF V2 are pretty shitty lol
Yes they are nicely recessed but they are too long. It‘s difficult to explain but the gen SEL begins earlier to curve down, so the whole SEL is shorter than the lugs. The rep SEL goes till the edge of the lugs. I hope you understand what I mean.
Second thing is that gen has zero SEL gap. It fits just perfectly. My ARF has a little gap for example.

Another flaw is that the whole case is too rounded. The gen lugs have sharper edges. And on my ARF V2 the rehaut sits way too high.

In the end of course the ARF V2 and Noob V3 are great reps but even modding them together like many members do in this forum with CF bezel etc. it‘s still far away from being a super rep in my opinion.

Im always saying that SELs are big tell if you know what are you looking... Once when you spot SEL fitment you will always spot difference,no rep have recession and shape like gen

ssouthall6

10/10/13

Some interesting points, not all of which I agree with.

The first bit - they are too long. Yes spot on. The shape is wrong. I can't show the pics because I've used up my monthly tapatalk allowance :D

The rep sel goes til the edge of the lugs - I think this is down to the position of the spring bars, but yes, I agree with you, and it actually looks even worse when you reshape the case, but it bothers me less than the lug shape.

Zero gap - can be achieved with gen spec spring bars and, on the noob, a very light sanding of the corners and inside edge of the bracelet and case.

The whole case is too rounded - this is the bit I don't agree with. I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but my problem is the opposite - it's not rounded enough. To the point I don't even wear the noob 116500 I spent a fortune modding.

The noob case is like a GMT case - it's completely perpendicular at the base. I've never seen a daytona like this. On the precious metal models you get this protruding platform at the edge of the lug, and the standard models are a little like this but far less pronounced and without the platform. Difficult to describe but it's curved not flat, so the case has a small gradient.

To achieve this you have to sand the bottom of the case around 0.5mm before the lug. Then you get better geometry.

The other problem is the edge of the lug that slopes from the face on. It's too sharp on the noob and, this may be what you're talking about, a touch too rounded on the ARF. But I would rather rounded, because most used gens are like this. The corner edge of the lug from the side on is too sharp on the rep. It's also too sharp on the inside. The profile should be more rounded and softer on the inside. But a tighter fit will make everything look better and I think this is what you're alluding to.

The rehaut is too high on the noob and the ARF - I agree. And the engraving on the ARF is really not good. Noob is better but still bad. In an ideal world you would replace the 820/830 for gen, lower the hand stack, use gen gasket and you'll get the extra 0.1mm...but it's a lot of work for little gain.

I have also held many gens, new and used. You have to to really understand the watch. You can look at photos blown up in photoshop all day long but sometimes the watch isn't released like that. M Scott on here is fantastic, his analysis is amazing. But I once held a gen panda and the dial didn't look like any of the photos we review. Luckily the owner is a friend and he let me put it on and I quickly realised why. The outer edge of the subdials is shiny and lacquered. Sometimes it looks too thin, sometimes thick. It depends on the light.

I own a gen omega and I can tell you the difference is like that. The gen omega is probably not much more refined than a rep daytona. A gen daytona is far, far more refined than a gen omega and consequently than a rep daytona. These are precision watches and we are applying critique to mass produced Chinese copies that's probably in most people's minds insane!

If I get time I'll upload some pics to demonstrate my point. But I have to stress, I have only seen a gen 116500 brand new two or three times. Most of my analysis comes from used models. And I'm far more conversant with the 116520. I don't like the new shape rolexes. I hate the 116622, I tried it at the ad and walked away. The 5 digit ones are so much better refined. Something about the newer models seems mass produced and less sexy.

I hate this hobby. We really are digging info the minuscae here! Like you say, these are great reps. Who would have thought a working chrono 5 years ago? But reps are reps. I love the ARF dials. They are, under the loupe, a million miles from noob. But they are also not gen. I have a gen champagne dial here. It's just something else. As soon as you hold it you can tell. I have some gen gold hands here. There is no comparison.

Even with progress, it's funny, it's not as the rate that we sometimes convince ourselves. I just sold a JF that I built for just £100. Other than the case being too thick, to accommodate the old fat 7750, it's actually better shaped than the noob or the ARF. The rehaut isn't quite as good, but a little rework and it's fine. Probably less work than the noob!

I also have a really old case, one where the serial number is the same as the regmariners, and the geometry is also surprisingly good in parts. The problem is the crown tube and pusher holes are too thin :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
I have also held many gens, new and used. You have to to really understand the watch. You can look at photos blown up in photoshop all day long but sometimes the watch isn't released like that. M Scott on here is fantastic, his analysis is amazing. But I once held a gen panda and the dial didn't look like any of the photos we review. Luckily the owner is a friend and he let me put it on and I quickly realised why. The outer edge of the subdials is shiny and lacquered. Sometimes it looks too thin, sometimes thick. It depends on the light.

I own a gen omega and I can tell you the difference is like that. The gen omega is probably not much more refined than a rep daytona. A gen daytona is far, far more refined than a gen omega and consequently than a rep daytona. These are precision watches and we are applying critique to mass produced Chinese copies that's probably in most people's minds insane!

If I get time I'll upload some pics to demonstrate my point. But I have to stress, I have only seen a gen 116500 brand new two or three times. Most of my analysis comes from used models. And I'm far more conversant with the 116520. I don't like the new shape rolexes. I hate the 116622, I tried it at the ad and walked away. The 5 digit ones are so much better refined. Something about the newer models seems mass produced and less sexy.

I hate this hobby. We really are digging info the minuscae here! Like you say, these are great reps. Who would have thought a working chrono 5 years ago? But reps are reps. I love the ARF dials. They are, under the loupe, a million miles from noob. But they are also not gen. I have a gen champagne dial here. It's just something else. As soon as you hold it you can tell. I have some gen gold hands here. There is no comparison.

Even with progress, it's funny, it's not as the rate that we sometimes convince ourselves.

I'm inclined to agree with you points regarding rep vs gen in general; even though I enjoy my Noob, I only wear it as I know very few people have even been near a gen Panda, much less being familiar enough with one to call mine out!

I don't agree with your assessment of the 116622 being less refined than older models as I have both a gen and a modded rep of that particular watch (as well as a vintage gen 5513 Sub no-date); upon placing them side by side there's just no comparison between them once you start to notice the finer details - the gen has a 'jewel like' quality the rep simply doesn't match though in isolation it's a fantastic piece. This is true even for people who know nothing about watches as when I'd show them a picture of them side by side, most people, although not 100% certain, almost always guessed correctly which was gen and which was rep!

Not to derail the thread but merely to demonstrate my point, behold:-