• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Daytona vs Noob V1-V2 and V2.2 Daytona vs ARF V2 Daytona

H.Larry

Horology Curious
10/2/19
Amazing review of Daytona, you have summarized all what we would be looking for and reading through the forum. One the best reviews I have read, wish to see more of the same for other Rolexes.

Dantona1984

6/2/17
England
Great thread. Any Noob straight on the wrist is still a fine watch, although ARF or gen dial (at the very least) is highly recommended as NO rep captures the quality of a gen dial.

gpvecchi

4/7/12
So, final Panda should be 2.2 Noob with ARF bezel, right? And what about bracelet and clasp?

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Man, you made a great work and great comparison.
Highly appreciated.

This guidance will help a lot of members who are planning to mod their Daytonas.

Great write up and great pics

racingeagle

Known Member
9/4/16
Vbiyd8.jpg

- 116500 Black Daytona -

- My favorite Daytona.

Older Noob V1-V2 Black 116500 -

- Released as V1 about July of 2018 with a 316L Stainless Steel case.
- Upgraded to V2 with a 904L case in August 2018 and the price increased by $100. Also some quality improvements to the dial.
- The first Daytona Rep with a complete Chinese clone of the Rolex 4130 chronograph movement.

- Sub-dials were way too thick as show in the picture below. The placement and outer diameter were however correct.
- The Silver Sub-dials were too shinny and should have more of a matte finish on the newer 116500 dial.
- The Font and Scale of the Bezel "Units Per Hour" is wrong. The "R"s have an incorrect serif that is easy to see.

ARF V2 Black 116500 -

- Released as V2 in August of 2018.
- Uses a Chinese 7750 movement. The Sub-dials at 3 and 9 are non-functional.
- Rolex logo is better than the Noob.
- Higher quality dial, but the Sub-dials appear to be slightly larger than Gen, as shown in the picture below.
- High quality bezel that is very close to Gen.

Right click and open image in a new tab to see this picture larger...
Vb1ibp.jpg

New Noob V2.2 Black 116500 -

- The 904L V2 case was released in August 2018 and this Updated "V2.2" dial was released in February of 2019.
- Noob is still the only Daytona Rep with a complete clone of the Rolex 4130 chronograph movement.

- The Thickness of the Sub-dials now appears to be the same as Gen, as shown in the picture below.
- Quality of the Dial and Bezel is said to be improved, But the Font and Scale of the Bezel "Units Per Hour" is still wrong.

ARF V2 Black 116500 -

- High quality dial, but the Sub-dials appear to be slightly larger than Gen, as show in the pictures below.
- Higher quality bezel that is very close to Gen.

VbIuvZ.jpg

More Black 116500 Detail Pictures -

- New Updated Noob V.V2 dial compared to Gen...

VbeJR8.jpg

- New Updated Noob V.V2 dial compared to ARF V2.
- The ARF Sub-dials appear to be slightly larger than Noob and Gen.

VbeOdF.jpg

- 116520 Black Daytona -

Noob V1-V2 Black 116520 -

- Released as V1 about July of 2018 with a 316L Stainless Steel case.
- Upgraded to V2 with a 904L case in August 2018 and the price increased by $100. Also some quality improvements to the dial.
- The first Daytona Rep with a complete clone of the Rolex 4130 chronograph movement.

- There is no new V2.2 version of this watch, yet.
- Noob just used the same Black dial from the old 116500 for this watch which is incorrect.
- Sub-dials are way too thick as show in the picture below. The placement and outer diameter were however correct.
- The Rolex logo and all of the Wording below it is incorrect as it is from the newer 116500 dial.

ARF V2 Black 116520 -

- Sub-dials appear to be slightly larger than Gen and Noob, as show in the picture below.

VbJnOZ.jpg

Thank you

rayz20

Renowned Member
29/6/17
Great Post!

Thanks for all the Work.

(Owning a ARF V2 White Dial.)

M Scott

Renowned Member
22/9/18
MScott thanks mate for sharing!

I checked the TD sites and they are just listing the Noob 116500 as V2. Do they all now comes with the “v2.2 dial”? The photos on the V2 listings doesn’t reflect the newer/leaner sub dial.

As above ... do all noob 116500 have v2.2 dial now or is it being fazed in slowly .

At least one member sent me new QC pictures of 2 Black 116500s still with the old dial, so you should be careful with your TD and with what you order.

M Scott

Renowned Member
22/9/18
MScott thanks mate for sharing!

Also, now that you have done your homework, assuming no frankening, which would be your preference(s)? Personally I’m leaning towards ARF, either the 116520 white, or 116500 black....

This question has come up over and over since last August and many members have answered it in about the same way...

- Out of the box, the ARF is better looking and has better quality on the outside.
- Out of the box, the Noob is much better on the inside with a much smoother, fully functioning chronograph movement.

stampsatit

15/3/16
I love 116520 white and I want to buy Noob Daytona. Maybe I should wait for Noob 116520 V2.2 to fix wrong font wording.
How about Noob 116520 bezel compare to ARF bezel?
Is it worth to buy 116520 ARF bezel to swap into Noob watch?

Colt Seavers

Known Member
14/5/17
I love 116520 white and I want to buy Noob Daytona. Maybe I should wait for Noob 116520 V2.2 to fix wrong font wording.
How about Noob 116520 bezel compare to ARF bezel?
Is it worth to buy 116520 ARF bezel to swap into Noob watch?

In my humble opinion, the white 116520 straight up is great. I have one. The V2.2 might have a more refined bezel -- then again, it might not. It's not like the bezel right now is bad. Of course if they improve this they might have new "mistakes." The dial is really good, it doesn't need replacement. Again, just one guy's opinion.

stampsatit

15/3/16
In my humble opinion, the white 116520 straight up is great. I have one. The V2.2 might have a more refined bezel -- then again, it might not. It's not like the bezel right now is bad. Of course if they improve this they might have new "mistakes." The dial is really good, it doesn't need replacement. Again, just one guy's opinion.

Thank you sir for your opinion but because now I know that noob 116520 white dial is wrong font so every time I look the watch I think I can't live with that.
Now I am waiting for 116520 white dial to come out and I will look how dial and bezel will updated or not.

Reactions: vcappp

kk169

Known Member
7/1/19
This question has come up over and over since last August and many members have answered it in about the same way...

- Out of the box, the ARF is better looking and has better quality on the outside.
- Out of the box, the Noob is much better on the inside with a much smoother, fully functioning chronograph movement.

Thanks I had also collected the same info but your post really put a great illustration on the magnitude of the visible difference in a very easy to read format.
I guess my question was that I’m keen to know what’s your OWN personal preference after the in-depth comparison. For me if I’m to buy today I’d probably go with ARF as I mentioned, but I am actually holding off the purchase until probably NOOB fixed the bezel (and if possible the dial), or ARF get a working-chrono movement. Not too crafty with mods - my technical expertise (lack of!) is limited to removing bracelet links

Reactions: vcappp