• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm 114300 Grape Dial : ARF vs JF

panasol

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/11
EU
Dear RWI's

I don't know if this has been answered before but I need some piece of advice regarding the Grape Dial Oyster 114300 Rolex

About a year ago I bought the JF version for my wife..everything was smooth for six month
Then I had some major issues with the power reserve (it wouldn't keep time) so I sent it over to a known watchsmith (It doesn't matter who he is) and he "serviced" it
Anyway... 2 months later..the very same problem
I sent it to a local watchsmith (totally trustworthy) and it would take 200 euros to fix it (replace parts etc)

Now,there are two versions of the watch out there
The new ARF and the one I have (JF)

Which one is "better"?
The ARF costs 450usd more or less
Should I skip the service of the JF and jump on the ARF or stick to my "old" JF?
How do these two compare?

thanx in advance

JMK

13/2/18
It’s my understanding that the movement is the same... I have a red grape from JF just sitting in a drawer totally nonfunctional.

For $200, I bet you’re only getting a basic service. I suggest asking your watch smith what parts have been replaced. From what I’ve learned around here over the years, it’s ideal to replace the auto wind module or at least the red (reversing?) wheels.

There are a bunch of topics around modding an SH3135 to make it healthier and longer lasting. The same advice would apply to this movement.

I’ve thought about converting a newer SH3135 to no date for this watch. I’m not sure if that would work though.

Since you have a watch smith, I suggest speaking with him/her about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
My ARF is nice and running well. However, the lume markers have a dirty grey color instead of clean white.

Maybe you want to look into the BP version

panasol

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/11
EU
How about the JF version that I already have?

To my eyes it looks damn nice

But back when I bought it, it was the only version available

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk