• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Please Help! Cant get bezel back on ARF Submariner

Evoss

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/2/16
Solution:
1. Boiled the bezel gasket for five minutes in water
2. Removed from boiling water
3. Cool for 1 minute
3. Reinsert bezel gasket
4. Install bezel onto casing
5. Success!

Hi all,

I am struggling to get the bezel back on the ARF Submariner. Nothing looks deformed, but it just wont click back into place. I have take a variety of photos below, please could you advise?

Thanks,

Evoss

IMG-9656.jpg

IMG-9657.jpg

IMG-9658.jpg

IMG-9659.jpg

Last edited:

Evoss

29/2/16
How tight should the gasket be? There is a small groove that I think it should sit within, however the gasket is not tight e ought to sit in the groove. Is this my problem? If so where can I get a replacement or how can I shrink the gasket?

Thanks

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
The gasket needs to be inside that bezel groove and sits pretty tight. Its a bit difficult to get it back into that groove once it out.

Plus, to get the bezel back on the watch, you need crystal press. Go to your local watchmaker

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
First thing you should do is take the insert out of the bezel. Use a heat gun (or hair dryer) to heat up and soften the glue. You can use a toothpick as a wedge from the underside to begin lifting the insert out from the bezel. You want the insert out so you don't crack it pressing the bezel back on. Clean off all the old glue, WD 40 works well followed by thorough wiping with a dry paper towel. Try to keep it off the insert markers.

Next, you need to put the bezel gasket into the groove in the bezel. The gasket has a stairstep side profile to it, and needs to be oriented properly. I don't have an ARF Sub, but others have posted that the stairstep goes in with the slightly wider portion ("bottom step") toward the insert side of the bezel. This is opposite of how it goes on a Noob but I'll try to find the post where it is claimed unequivocally that the ARF goes in like I described. You should gently but firmly press the gasket fully seated into the groove. If it gets pulled out and twisted or deformed on re-press, it can get ruined and there is no source for a replacement.

Then place the bezel onto the case taking care not to lose any springs/balls/click and use a crystal press and die to press the bezel back on. The white dies that come with a press are sufficient for this task, but having a 38mm bezel die is very useful too and I've replaced bezels with just the heel of my hand and a green bezel die.

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-tool...versible-dies/

https://www.esslinger.com/plastic-fi...s-or-set-of-3/

Last, orient the insert perfectly and press it into place. Use one of these tape rings to keep it in place

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172385220185

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
ARF subs do not have any glue between the bezel and insert. Its pressure fitted just like the gen and chances are very big you will destroy the bezel insert trying to get it out

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
Find a modder or watchmaker. you dont have the skills or tools to this I think, judging by your knowledge

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ARF subs do not have any glue between the bezel and insert. Its pressure fitted just like the gen and chances are very big you will destroy the bezel insert trying to get it out

I don't have an ARF Sub and I have read about pressure fit inserts on them. But I've also seen posts to the contrary, where members have responded that theirs were glued in.

Evoss

29/2/16
First thing you should do is take the insert out of the bezel. Use a heat gun (or hair dryer) to heat up and soften the glue. You can use a toothpick as a wedge from the underside to begin lifting the insert out from the bezel. You want the insert out so you don't crack it pressing the bezel back on. Clean off all the old glue, WD 40 works well followed by thorough wiping with a dry paper towel. Try to keep it off the insert markers.

Next, you need to put the bezel gasket into the groove in the bezel. The gasket has a stairstep side profile to it, and needs to be oriented properly. I don't have an ARF Sub, but others have posted that the stairstep goes in with the slightly wider portion ("bottom step") toward the insert side of the bezel. This is opposite of how it goes on a Noob but I'll try to find the post where it is claimed unequivocally that the ARF goes in like I described. You should gently but firmly press the gasket fully seated into the groove. If it gets pulled out and twisted or deformed on re-press, it can get ruined and there is no source for a replacement.

Then place the bezel onto the case taking care not to lose any springs/balls/click and use a crystal press and die to press the bezel back on. The white dies that come with a press are sufficient for this task, but having a 38mm bezel die is very useful too and I've replaced bezels with just the heel of my hand and a green bezel die.

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-tool...versible-dies/

https://www.esslinger.com/plastic-fi...s-or-set-of-3/

Last, orient the insert perfectly and press it into place. Use one of these tape rings to keep it in place

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172385220185

Thank you for your detailed response.

I am currently trying to insert the gasket into the bezel, however it feels as if the gasket is slight too large (photo below) - is there any advice you can give here?

In terms of a replacement, I have found these on eBay, would it fit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161620824457

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
I don't have an ARF Sub and I have read about pressure fit inserts on them. But I've also seen posts to the contrary, where members have responded that theirs were glued in.

Ah thats interesting! I havent seen or heared about the glued version until now. Thanks mate!

Reactions: KJ2020

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands

I am currently trying to insert the gasket into the bezel, however it feels as if the gasket is slight too large (photo below) - is there any advice you can give here?

In terms of a replacement, I have found these on eBay, would it fit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161620824457

Nope, there is nothing else on this planet that will fit in there and is usable for the rep subs. Trust me, I know from experience..
And you will have to work the gasket in there. Like i said, its not easy

Evoss

29/2/16
Nope, there is nothing else on this planet that will fit in there and is usable for the rep subs. Trust me, I know from experience..
And you will have to work the gasket in there. Like i said, its not easy

Do you have any tips to getting it in, was it mentioned previously glueing parts of it in?

So if the gasket has stretched slightly and wont go in, am I out of options and need to repurchase the whole watch?

Evoss

29/2/16
SUCCESS UPDATE

I had a look online at methods to shrink o-rings, gaskets etc... One of the methods is to boil the o-ring/gasket.

Solution:
3. Cool for 1 minute
3. Reinsert bezel gasket
5. Success!

I've updated the original post for members who might have the same issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and Logixa

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
if you destroy the gasket due to stretching or bending or whatever, then you're basically fucked. You either have to buy a new watch or hope you can buy a bezel assembly here through M2M parts. I actually managed to fix this with some DIY. I found out that if you take a wire of spring steel of approx 0.5mm thick and cut and bend it, it will fit the bezel. The only tip i have for getting the gasket back in is patience, its an pain in the ass job

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
SUCCESS UPDATE

I had a look online at methods to shrink o-rings, gaskets etc... One of the methods is to boil the o-ring/gasket.

Solution: Boiled the bezel gasket for five minutes, removed from boiling water and cooled for 5 minutes. This allowed the bezel gasket fit in much easier, and the bezel is now back on the case.

Oh nice! Ill note this one down :D

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

First, it looks to me like your "bottom step" on the gasket is toward the case side of the bezel and not toward the insert side of the bezel. I'm still looking for that other post but I am sure it was stated that on the ARF the bottom step goes toward the insert side.

Bend the excess gasket inside the circle then push the middle of the bend into the groove. This will give you two smaller bump outs. Then do the same with one of them and continue till you can work it all in. If you exhaust all efforts and are still not successful, you can cut out a small portion of the gasket to make it fit. It does not need to be glued together or anything, it won't matter that there is a break in it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
SUCCESS UPDATE

Solution:
3. Cool for 1 minute
3. Reinsert bezel gasket
5. Success!

I've updated the original post for members who might have the same issue.

Good job, congrats!

BTW, the ebay gaskets definitely will not work, but I have read that the correct diameter fishing line will work, in a pinch. Just cut it to correct length and nevermind the break in it as noted previously.