• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you work on movements yourself?

Basekomp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/18
I just took apart a broken Seiko movement after watching some videos online, and found some videos for 3135s. Doesn't actually seem that bad.

My question is, outside of the basic case stuff, how many of you guys are actually disassembling movements? Is it something you are happy your learned? Or was it a giant PITA and if you could take it back, you wouldn't have jumped down that rabbit rabbit hole?

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I considered it and even bought some tools. I don’t have the patience or the fine motor skills to work on movements. I limit my watchmaking to the basics. Some guys can do it and some guys can’t. I can’t.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Most worktables are at an elevated height. Lighting is ideally bright but not blinding. GOOD tools are not cheap. Various ETA oils are not cheap. All of this requires an investment, but of course saves you money when compared to the cost of a complete servicing. If you haven't been trained, you're bound to break something or make a repairable situation worse. Best get some training from a competent watch smith before disassembling a watch that has value and/or means something to you or you'll be on the forum looking for a pro to correct an issue that got out of hand … I've seen it before (just sayin') …

Reactions: KJ2020

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
Moebius oil/grease is ridiculously expensive, at minimum you need 1 oil and 1 grease. Worse, they expired! (hm, maybe this is just marketing purpose?)
One 5ml vial of oil is probably good for a few hundred services.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Moebius oil/grease is ridiculously expensive, at minimum you need 1 oil and 1 grease. Worse, they expired! (hm, maybe this is just marketing purpose?)
One 5ml vial of oil is probably good for a few hundred services.

they will last a lifetime depending on how much you use it....cheap imo, same goes for tools...

Reactions: KJ2020 and Digital.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
Working on movements just comes naturally. First you’re removing hands and swapping dials, then you’re fixing keyless works and before you know it, you’re taking the gear train apart and breaking everything. Haha. Eventually it all kinda clicks and you can start repairing movements. But it does take some practice and patience.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Starting on this journey now. Been practicing on removing casebacks, bezels, crystals, movements, hands and dials. Best thing is to have some failing unwanted reps / movements to practice with.