• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which gen replacement insert do I get for TC Rouge?

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Hi all,

I got my TC Rouge back from JonJ recently - who did a SUPERB job cleaning it up - and wore it for the first time 2 nights ago... Then, the next morning I realized the gen insert on it had fallen off!

I am looking on eBay and see a seller "sgawatch" who has some used 16610 inserts - but they all have different part numbers like "EPL4A" or "EPL3C" etc.

What is the difference between these? I have emailed the seller and asked him this, but no response so far...and could not find the information online....

Does anyone know which gen insert fits the TC Rouge?

sputim

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
You simply need a 16610 insert which you should find fairly easily either here on the board or on the bay. Also an early 16610 / 16800 tritium insert would fit but you probably want to opt for a SL one to match the lume on the indices and hands. Be careful the SD and no date sub of the same period have a different insert diameter.

Reactions: KJ2020

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Those inserts you're looking at on ebay are not correct for a late model sub- they have the flat 4 in 40 and are for pre-2003 subs- before the 16610 T case came out, You need the late model insert with the skinny 4 in 40. Since you other gen insert popped out, I suggest you try gluing in the new insert when you get it. Rolex inserts are supposed to snap in but since you have a rep bezel, it appears that that might not work- hence the glue. Part number 315-16800-181-A1 should work for you

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Those inserts you're looking at on ebay are not correct for a late model sub- they have the flat 4 in 40 and are for pre-2003 subs- before the 16610 T case came out, You need the late model insert with the skinny 4 in 40. Since you other gen insert popped out, I suggest you try gluing in the new insert when you get it. Rolex inserts are supposed to snap in but since you have a rep bezel, it appears that that might not work- hence the glue. Part number 315-16800-181-A1 should work for you

Ahhhh... that may explain why the gen insert I had did not stay in place! It was a flat 4, IIRC.

Thank you VERY much for the info!!

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
So I got a gen insert, unused and in the bubble package. It ALMOST snaps into place, about 80% of it snaps in and then the remainder is just a tiny bit larger (I think in the OD) to fit into place.. What to do?

Last edited:

AKTime

Known Member
31/10/13
So I got a gen insert, unused and in the bubble package. It ALMOST snaps into place, about 80% of it snaps in and then the remainder is just a tiny bit larger (I think on the in the OD) to fit into place.. What to do?

You will need to lightly sand the edges for it to fit. I never had problems with authentic Rolex inserts fitting a TC bezel, is it possible you aren't pushing it in hard enough?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So I got a gen insert, unused and in the bubble package. It ALMOST snaps into place, about 80% of it snaps in and then the remainder is just a tiny bit larger (I think in the OD) to fit into place.. What to do?

I have this exact issue with my gen 5-digit GMT. One of my gen inserts is .1mm larger OD than the others. I use a crystal press with a bezel die and a thickish lint free cloth to snap it in the final click.

Little bit of anxiety every time I do it as there's potential to bend the insert or scrape paint off the outer perimeter. It needs even more care with an insert that has a pearl, a hole needs to be driiled into the bezel die so you are not compressing the pearl.

One thing you can try that may help an install without tools is gently bend the insert inner perimeter UP, all the way around in small increments, while pulling the outer perimeter DOWN. Use both thumbs on the inner perimeter, both forefingers on the outer. Stay away from direct pressure on the pearl as much as possible. The goal is to give the insert height, which will reduce its diameter. Eliminate flatness. You can lose .1 or .2mm and maybe get it to snap in.

One last technique I've used requires the bezel to be off the watch. Lay the bezel flat on desk, get the insert 80% home, then cover the 20% out part with lint free cloth. Then take a thick piece of flat plastic and lay it over the 20% and lean on it hard with the heel of your hand. This has always worked for me when I've done it this way. Note that the pic is for illustration purposes only and of course you would NOT do this with a ceramic insert.

15526027089850.jpg

A bezel die is a useful thing to have on hand for aluminum inserts, even without a press. I've used them just with the heel of my hand on a flat desk as described above.

https://www.esslinger.com/plastic-fi...s-or-set-of-3/

I would exhaust all efforts like I've described, then send it to a modder before sanding a new gen blistered insert. That's a good technique for a $20 aftermarket one ;)

Last edited: