• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fake rolex on rolex forum?

GWT#1

Renowned Member
1/4/12
Where the bluegrass sways!
What makes you think fake?

EDIT!! ITS NOT REAL CASE AFTER CLOSER LOOK AND INSIGHT FROM OTHERS HERE TAB MOUNTED MOVEMENT FOR SURE

Last edited:

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
The fact that replicas now are made to such high accuracy and standard (and quality) its scary to think we could mistake a real one for a fake and worse a fake for a real one. I wouldn't be able to tell. Hence the best place to still get a gen watch is through an AD. You need a keen eye to catch fakes unless the flaws are obvious.

sputim

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
Hmm the sel is not like on a gen z series..maybe he swapped bracelet. Definitely not a watch I‘d purchase there is something wrong..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The fact that replicas now are made to such high accuracy and standard (and quality) its scary to think we could mistake a real one for a fake and worse a fake for a real one. I wouldn't be able to tell. Hence the best place to still get a gen watch is through an AD. You need a keen eye to catch fakes unless the flaws are obvious.

Yeah, well, good luck finding any steel sports series Rolex in any AD without having to wait several months...

I would certainly consider second hand (from reputable sellers) for any Sub, GMT or Daytona, even for an Explorer.

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18

Or y'know, ask your dealer for a movement + serial number check, which they should've done when they got the piece anyway.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
That watch is gen all the way. 16610T is the designation for the Rolex case with no lugholes that came out around 2003, mid P serial I believe. The guy shows you a movement shot, what more could you ask for? His price was fair considering it's a lightly used watch.

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Good call. That’s a JF 16610 no rehaut case and bracelet.

Reactions: sputim

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
Plus no paper... Very curious this guy has the tool to open the watch... Why ?

This guy has certainly modded his watch, when in doubt don't buy a so-called "genuine watch" from a seller have a pseudo knowledge of watchmaker..

Even so 6100$ ...

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
I dont know, thata why I asked here.

clasp code is same as JF 16610 (I know it doesn't proof anything) serial on the case matching my JF except one last number I think.

price is low and no papers.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Could be JF franken with gen movement...

anyway mixed reviews here so it's better to stay away I quess

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Hard to tell, but I wouldn't buy this in any case: "Crisp case with what I think is only one polish in its past...case sides are very straight and lugs are thick - whoever did the polish did a nice job on the bevels." Ah... no. If this is a gen Z serial with its original bracelet, the almost flush SEL fit suggests it has either been polished several times, or was ground down aggressively on that one polish. The bevels are way too much. They look like something off of a 1960s hand finished GMT, not a 2007 Sub. And the CGs are way too small.

Which brings me to my next point: lugs that are even and crisp but almost flush with SEL, and undersized CGs are all hallmarks of a JF V2 case. I'm not enough of an expert to say this is a franken, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But I own a gen Z serial and a JF V2, and to me, this looks more like the JF case. The most suspicious thing is that there is no picture looking straight at the watch, with it squared up evenly to the camera. That's the easiest way to spot a JF. On a gen 5-digit watch (and most TC cases), when you look at the beveled edge of the crystal, you will see a little bit of white refracted up from each hour marker all the way around, which is the marker refracting up through the angled edge. Here's a perfect example, and look at the beveled crystal edge in the straight on gen and JF shots I included in this review. Because the JF rehaut is not quite gen-spec, you will not get the same effect. You'll only see the markers reflected up through the beveled edge of the crystal on one side, when you hold the watch on an angle--just like in the pic in this listing.

PaneraiCC

Superfranken collector
Patron
Certified
29/1/19
Conus
This is one crazily detailed message! Very nice write up!!

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Hard to tell, but I wouldn't buy this in any case: "Crisp case with what I think is only one polish in its past...case sides are very straight and lugs are thick - whoever did the polish did a nice job on the bevels." Ah... no. If this is a gen Z serial with its original bracelet, the almost flush SEL fit suggests it has either been polished several times, or was ground down aggressively on that one polish. The bevels are way too much. They look like something off of a 1960s hand finished GMT, not a 2007 Sub. And the CGs are way too small.

Which brings me to my next point: lugs that are even and crisp but almost flush with SEL, and undersized CGs are all hallmarks of a JF V2 case. I'm not enough of an expert to say this is a franken, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But I own a gen Z serial and a JF V2, and to me, this looks more like the JF case. The most suspicious thing is that there is no picture looking straight at the watch, with it squared up evenly to the camera. That's the easiest way to spot a JF. On a gen 5-digit watch (and most TC cases), when you look at the beveled edge of the crystal, you will see a little bit of white refracted up from each hour marker all the way around, which is the marker refracting up through the angled edge. Here's a perfect example, and look at the beveled crystal edge in the straight on gen and JF shots I included in this review. Because the JF rehaut is not quite gen-spec, you will not get the same effect. You'll only see the markers reflected up through the beveled edge of the crystal on one side, when you hold the watch on an angle--just like in the pic in this listing.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

so how about my jf franken bevel markers reflections? Are they good enough closer to gen spec or clearly wrong?

VEwlUp.jpg

VEwN4s.jpg

thanks

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Ha, this is why I said take my advice with a grain of salt—yours looks perfect. I have seen other JF builds with a gen crystal where this problem was not fixed, but maybe it is a gasket issue. What exactly is gen in your build? I might do the same to my JF!

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Ha, this is why I said take my advice with a grain of salt—yours looks perfect. I have seen other JF builds with a gen crystal where this problem was not fixed, but maybe it is a gasket issue. What exactly is gen in your build? I might do the same to my JF!

Well this is heavily gen moded build.

gen dial
gen hands
gen insert
gen crown
gen endlinks
gen crystal
gen dw
gen hands
gen bracelet clasp
few gen parts in the movement
gen springs

not sure about the gasket as I bought it with gen crystal installed already.

johloo

Renowned Member
Patron
14/3/17
The watch on TRF is def a JF franken modded with a gen 3135. Biggest tell is how the movement is mounted into case: gen Rolex case would have the cutout for mount screw to clear and then rotate the movement slightly into correct place before backing the screw out to wedge it tightly against case.

The sub in that sale post is exactly as a JF where it does not have that cut out but rather is mounted with movement tabs.

The clasp is also the poor JF copy as you can easily see how thin and sloppily stamped the coronet is as well as that hallmark huge fliplock gap.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
The watch on TRF is def a JF franken modded with a gen 3135. Biggest tell is how the movement is mounted into case: gen Rolex case would have the cutout for mount screw to clear and then rotate the movement slightly into correct place before backing the screw out to wedge it tightly against case.

The sub in that sale post is exactly as a JF where it does not have that cut out but rather is mounted with movement tabs.

The clasp is also the poor JF copy as you can easily see how thin and sloppily stamped the coronet is as well as that hallmark huge fliplock gap.

Thanks, should we report him or something?