• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

QC Assistance - ARF Sub-C 2824 pics (datewheel worse than usual?)

dongdong

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/8/16
Hi guys,

I've ordered a sub from Intime and wanted help on the QC as new to this process. To me the datewheel/ cyclops looks pretty bad but from what I've read this is to be expected. The question is - is this version I'm being shown on the better or worse end of the spectrum and are there any other major flaws? What else would you be asking for in more detail based on the pics... To me this date looks worst than expected. Is the ARF SD 43 more accurate in terms of datewheel as this may be enough to push me over the edge and ask to switch to the ARF SD43.

https://imgur.com/a/I5C645Y?
I5C645Y

Any advice is a great help. Thanks!

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
This is a known issue, so not a reason to reject the watch. And TBH it's not that bad. Anyway all the datewheels within the same batch (and we're probably talking 1000's of pieces) will be the same. So even if you rejected it you would get another watch with the same datewheel, but maybe some other flaws

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I find it inexcusable that a watch of this price doesn't come with a $10 datewheel that doesn't need to be changed immediately. That's about how much they pay for these probably less. And it wouldn't cost any more to source one that isn't in bold font. Such a shame.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Hi guys,

I've ordered a sub from Intime and wanted help on the QC as new to this process. To me the datewheel/ cyclops looks pretty bad but from what I've read this is to be expected. The question is - is this version I'm being shown on the better or worse end of the spectrum and are there any other major flaws? What else would you be asking for in more detail based on the pics... To me this date looks worst than expected. Is the ARF SD 43 more accurate in terms of datewheel as this may be enough to push me over the edge and ask to switch to the ARF SD43.

https://imgur.com/a/I5C645Y?
I5C645Y

Any advice is a great help. Thanks!

Standard ARF LongDong

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
I find it inexcusable that a watch of this price doesn't come with a $10 datewheel that doesn't need to be changed immediately. That's about how much they pay for these probably less. And it wouldn't cost any more to source one that isn't in bold font. Such a shame.

Amen brother

Reactions: KJ2020

cicciopasticcio

20/1/19
Melbourne
I must admit, as KJ2020 said, it’s unreal that they do such a mistake of DW’s. That is the minimum-bad-acceptable (to be), it not well made that’s for sure

rolexppapfan

Renowned Member
17/11/18
ITALY
Seriously I don't even know how the hell you can mess up a date wheel so bad I know they are made in China but how , how i don't understand are they made with a 1000-year-old equipment ??? ( machine ) how brands that sell watches at 200$ have better date wheels ??

dongdong

24/8/16
Thanks guys, and agreed its pretty gross. Can i order a cheap replacement date wheel (non gen) thay fits the 2824 and if so what should i order?

dongdong

24/8/16
Hey guys, on the point of getting another date wheel, would i be better off getting the ARF 3135 V2 and switching in a Noob version date wheel (ie would a mod datewheel fit in the 3135 vs the 2824)? And if so which model date wheel or other options are there?

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
You cannot simply swap datewheels from different movements e. g. 3135 into your A2824. They don’t fit. And you should know that not the datewheel of your movement is the problem. The issue is there is a thin datewheel overlay glued on your A2824 datewheel.
That means you will need a proper printed datewheel overlay and change this against your stock dwo.

And that‘s the biggest problem. You can order dwos from Raffles Dials or search the bay. But they are of average print quality. High quality dwos were made by TC but unfortunately he‘s out of business. Maybe you can ask BK.

And there is the most expensive solution, too. Source a gen Rolex datewheel and mod it in a way so it will fit as an overlay onto your stock datewheel. But this is not a work for beginners.

And for your question: Personally I would stick with the 2824 version. SH3135 movements are less reliable and mostly need service ootb. Spare parts are not available but you can use gen Rolex parts. I don’t need to tell you how expensive this is.
For me 3135 clone movements are not worth the effort. 2824 and 2836 are much cheaper and easier to handle. Highly reliable, precise and the possibility to swap them against gen eta or Selitta.

Greets Andi

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
Yep that DW is farrrrkkked!!! Surely after all this time ARF still cant get a simple thing like a DW correct.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You cannot simply swap datewheels from different movements e. g. 3135 into your A2824. They don’t fit. And you should know that not the datewheel of your movement is the problem. The issue is there is a thin datewheel overlay glued on your A2824 datewheel.
That means you will need a proper printed datewheel overlay and change this against your stock dwo.

And that‘s the biggest problem. You can order dwos from Raffles Dials or search the bay. But they are of average print quality. High quality dwos were made by TC but unfortunately he‘s out of business. Maybe you can ask BK.

And there is the most expensive solution, too. Source a gen Rolex datewheel and mod it in a way so it will fit as an overlay onto your stock datewheel. But this is not a work for beginners.

And for your question: Personally I would stick with the 2824 version. SH3135 movements are less reliable and mostly need service ootb. Spare parts are not available but you can use gen Rolex parts. I don’t need to tell you how expensive this is.
For me 3135 clone movements are not worth the effort. 2824 and 2836 are much cheaper and easier to handle. Highly reliable, precise and the possibility to swap them against gen eta or Selitta.

Greets Andi

Completely agree, well said! BK sells Noob overlays that can be glued onto the ARF datewheel. The ARF overlay should be removed first. Last time I corresponded with BK he was asking $40 per overlay plus 4 shipping.

Post showing how to do this

https://www.repgeek.com/tutorials-f...datewheel-overlay-adjustment-2836-2-a.html?hi

dongdong

24/8/16
Thanks Andi (SMP) and KJ2020 understand on the 2824. I'll drop BK a message.

Badseed

Horology Curious
11/2/19
Can someone explain the flaw with this date wheel? I can’t see any issues. Font? I got QC pics of an arf with a date wheel that is barely centered in the window.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Can someone explain the flaw with this date wheel? I can’t see any issues. Font? I got QC pics of an arf with a date wheel that is barely centered in the window.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Yes font. It's too bold. This is a gen DW for comparison

15522884395704.jpg

Badseed

Horology Curious
11/2/19
Yes font. It's too bold. This is a gen DW for comparison

15522884395704.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. I’m new to this hobby and have much to learn.
Would I be out of line by saying this might be splitting hairs?
Seems a slight variation from original, considering it’s a rep. JMO

Sent from the RWI App

dongdong

24/8/16
You're right badseed, but splitting hairs is 90% of the fun in this hobby I've found. Actually there's something about reps in some ways that is more fun than gens :S (damn i think I've caught the rep bug)

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
I’d accept that on the proviso if anyone spotted the date font on my wrist I could send it back to be swapped, saying that.... if anyone got close enough to notice/care, they’d probably be trying to tear it from my steely grip

:lmao:

Reactions: Badseed

Young&Free

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/11/18
Thanks for the explanation. I’m new to this hobby and have much to learn.
Would I be out of line by saying this might be splitting hairs?
Seems a slight variation from original, considering it’s a rep. JMO

Sent from the RWI App

It could be the crystals though. It’s 3x magnification. The gen ones are 2.5x. You can try changing the crystals first then decide whether you want a gen DW or not :)

Reactions: Antonio712

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here's sn ARF for sale in M2M with a much better DW

15523161038870.jpg

Reactions: jamsie