• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DJF Hulk w/ new Aftermarket Insert. Have a look!

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
My Hulk insert arrived today. Needed exactly 14 days from China to Ger.

First impressions:
Looking really good. Compared it to my VRF Max. Green color is slightly (only a shade) brighter. Engravings are not as deep but still fine. Engravings are a bit bolder and more silverish. Peachy coloring under some angels and lightning is missing. Pearl looks good but Lume infill is a bit more vanilla and creamy.

Over all it seems to be a fine replacement.

Greets Andi

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Pic from the bay.

f43d4c7d9f6a1aac48a0776f385de5ff.jpg

Mine is exactly like this. Delivered without tape.

Greets Andi

Reactions: KJ2020

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Looking forward to a second opinion bro. So far I've been disappointed with aftermarket Hulk inserts, so I'm reluctant to try again.

I ordered one of these. They are much thinner than GEN / stock ( as you can see from OP pics as well ) The insert sit too deep in the bezel. Also the shallow insert numbers paint rubs off with a leather cloth.
3 out of 5 stars.

dee306

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/1/14
These eBay inserts look good! I'm going to try and look for a DSSD insert to replace on my BK DSSD from noob (from 2014)

Reactions: johnlogan

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I ordered one of these. They are much thinner than GEN / stock ( as you can see from OP pics as well ) The insert sit too deep in the bezel. Also the shallow insert numbers paint rubs off with a leather cloth.
3 out of 5 stars.

Thanks for tbe update bro. Sigh, maybe someday...

You can fix the height issue by using 3M double sided clear tape. I cut it in thin strips, about 2mm wide. Then place it in the bezel well with two toothpicks. Need to do it that way because its super sticky and touching it negatively affects the adhesive. Anchor one end and lay it around the well pressing it down with a toothpick every 1cm or so. You can adjust the height by how much you stretch the piece of tape, which makes it thinner.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Heavy-Mou...=1552747298&s=gateway&sprefix=3m+doub&sr=8-12

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
That’s one of the better inserts I’ve seen. Also, thought the djf crystal was gen at first glance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
I ordered this insert because my VRF insert is cracked at 15. Was able to glue this and it is only barely noticeable with naked eyes but IMOP it‘s better to have a spare insert in stock...
But if I look at itto‘s pics I think it‘s really looking very good.

Greets Andi

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Can you take some picks for the hand stack and the hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Today I disassembled my VRF Hulk because I have to change the crystal. And my insert cracked as mentioned above. After removing the bezel the old VRF Max insert cracked multiple times. It seems to be made from very brittle stuff.

But time for further comparison between eBay insert and VRF Max:

1) The VRF insert is thicker at the inner edge. Approx. 0.4 mm. The outer edge is nearly the same.
2) Max insert engravings are not sputtered but laquered. EBay insert is laquered, too but more precise and cleaner if you take a loupe.
3) Pearl is very good observed under a loupe. Slightly better than VRF. Although I kept the VRF pearl as a spare part.

Now I‘ve got a full AR coated prof crystal and a DS Xtal with black hole coating here. Not sure which one I should install.
But I will post pics this week after decision is made. Of course with this new eBay insert.

Greets Andi

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I am going to start removing ceramic inserts with a different technique. First I'll remove the movement from the case so it doesn't get exposed to heat. Then use a heat gun on the bezel to melt the glue. I've used this technique before and it works well but should not be done with the movement installed as the heat has a highly negative effect on lubricants. It cooks and hardens them. If the insert still won't come off easily, you can always coax it further with WD-40, which eats through glue, or soak the watch head in acetone as a more extreme measure. Make sure the tube O ring(s) are removed. The acetone won't hurt the steel or the ceramic. It can eat at marker paint, but if the insert is going for a paint mod that won't matter.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I am going to start removing ceramic inserts with a different technique. First I'll remove the movement from the case so it doesn't get exposed to heat. Then use a heat gun on the bezel to melt the glue. I've used this technique before and it works well but should not be done with the movement installed as the heat has a highly negative effect on lubricants. It cooks and hardens them. If the insert still won't come off easily, you can always coax it further with WD-40, which eats through glue, or soak the watch head in acetone as a more extreme measure. Make sure the tube O ring(s) are removed. The acetone won't hurt the steel or the ceramic. It can eat at marker paint, but if the insert is going for a paint mod that won't matter.

Work intensive but smart approach! Post pics. Hairdryer works just as great.

Subzed

24/4/18
Speaking of paint on the markers, is the Molotow or silver sharpie more durable? I suspect they’re not the same just wondering for my Noob that’s a bit dark, not ready to spend a lot for sputter just yet.

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
All paint or molotow jobs are not durable for let‘s say daily wearing over longer time. The paint always will wash or rub out over time.

Greets Andi

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Speaking of paint on the markers, is the Molotow or silver sharpie more durable? I suspect they’re not the same just wondering for my Noob that’s a bit dark, not ready to spend a lot for sputter just yet.

Got sick of Molotow rubbing off and decided to try a drastic step. I spray painted the whole insert with two coats of Krylon primer + paint Brilliant aluminum color.

This aftermarket insert has rough cutout bottoms, that's what you still see. Even the gen markers have texture to them. I scraped off the paint on the bezel with a straight razor on an angle, not too bad. It won't stand up to micro scrutiny but at wrist length it's beautiful silver and it's not coming off easily.

VpUOp8.jpg

VpUYRh.jpg

VpU7rD.jpg

VpUqwU.jpg

Reactions: Subzed and Itto

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Yesterday I installed this ebay insert. Still sitting a bit too much recessed because my double sided tape is a tad too thin. Will have to adress this issue later.
Here are some shots of the evening:

5164e26e7ced3abbd5e35aced2fc86bd.jpg

c4563a5cdc04ed8749f785f03c934ea5.jpg

6ebbf1a4fb9bc45b4a22655f9c8d3ece.jpg

Greets Andi

Reactions: KJ2020 and Itto

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yesterday I installed this ebay insert. Still sitting a bit too much recessed because my double sided tape is a tad too thin. Will have to adress this issue later.
Here are some shots of the evening:

5164e26e7ced3abbd5e35aced2fc86bd.jpg

c4563a5cdc04ed8749f785f03c934ea5.jpg

6ebbf1a4fb9bc45b4a22655f9c8d3ece.jpg

Greets Andi

Any surprises removing the VRF bezel, or was it gen spec like the Noob (springs and balls)?

Will be removing a TT VRF bezel soon, want to make sure. Thanks bro