• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

*Aid Requested* Gen or Not (116520 Dial)

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
Hey all,

I am on the fence on whether I should pull the trigger or not with a white 116520 dial and hands for around $760 shipped.

Basically I want to be sure its a genuine set and dial, but knowing that all of you have better eyes than me, I was wondering if I could get somehow a confirmation that it is gen or not.

Can anyone tell if it is indeed a gen?

The link to the site is below:

https://item.mercari.com/jp/m327471...tpilaJAUJ-1cvKSQPClc-6_Meb3NcmmrTsaZvqiSMgm4x

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
pics are too small to judge unfortunately

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Looks like its Chromalight. $760 for a chromalight set is very cheap. Sounds too good to be true, from a common sense point of view.

Can you ask him for better pics?

Reactions: Johnny_Ridden

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I've asked him for nicer pics.

His story is that they are brand new... from 2010. He really wanted a black dial daytona but since he couldn't get one, he bought a white dial one then immediately sent to get the dial switched out, and this is what they gave back to him. He's been trying to sell it since.

I find is story a bit odd, if this is the case, then why did they give him his hands back? Do they replace hands too if you just want the dial switched out? Also, aren't Gen hands usually pierced in between some white cardboard not in plastic pouches?

Another thing that raises my eyebrows is the fact that his superluminova (Green lume) is lasting for longer than 10 years like that... I thought they have to be relumed every 5 years or so.
[Does his story check out?]

He replied that it shines "Green more than Blue" in the dark so I am assuming it is superluminova.

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
I am not 100% sure on this, so take this information with a grain of salt and do some research yourself:

If he says the dial is from 2010 and has superluminova I think thats a lie, since Chromalight was introduced to all dials after 2008, if I am not mistaken.

Additionally, one can confuse CL and SL very easily, since chromalight has more of a turquoise shine than a really blue one.

Story with the hands seems very odd to me too.

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Additionally, even assuming it is Superluminova, a SL dial goes for around ~800€+ on Chrono24, the hands with it for around another 350€. His price seems very low.

yosimiz

Known Member
11/8/12
Hands might have been swapped because of the new dial. The dial has all the characteristics of the gen dials from that period. Good chamfered indices, good crown shape with perfect alignment. Also the indeces looks like attached with one of numerous rolex attachment "methods". The distance between oyster and perpetual looks good. Also the distance between the letters "R" and "A" looks legit. Rep factories mostly copy the dials from rolex website high quality images, and they almost never match 1to1 the dials eventually produced.
Laser engraving on the back looks a bit too dark w
But that also happens a lot.

I would say that the dial has the potential to be gen, but I wouldn't move forward with it without asking for high quality images to be sure.

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
Thank all of you guys for the help!

I won’t be pulling the trigger until I see some more high quality pics.

Good to know what exactly to look for now too.

Still for the price is Sounds a bit too good to be true, but I’ll find out soon!

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
Hey guys,

He put up two more clear pictures... any new thoughts? Could it really be gen at this price?

M Scott

Renowned Member
22/9/18
Hey guys,

He put up two more clear pictures... any new thoughts? Could it really be gen at this price?

I'm no expert, but I can link the bigger pictures to this site to make them easier to see...

m32747147377_8.jpg

m32747147377_9.jpg

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
Thanks for the help!

At this point, it seems that yosimiz ‘s point that where the feet connect are smudged and not perfect are the only factors remaining that causs doubt that it is not real.

Any other experts, please feel free to chime in!

On chrono24, dials are going for a minimum of $1150 USD, and this could very well be a set of both gen hands and a pristine gen dial for $750!

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
Looks almost too good to be true, I’m doing some final checks, but I think it would be stupid not picking up gen hands + gen white aph dial for around $750 US