• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Datejust 116234 Franken - Is a gen crystal and hands really needed?

project716

Horology Curious
18/5/18
Hey everyone, just purchased an ARF Datejust 116234 along with a genuine white dial, gen roulette date wheel, gen 604 crown and case tube.

I keep reading about how the second hand is different on the rep compared to the gen, but how noticeable really is it side by side? And where do you guys suggest I find just the second hand without having to buy a complete handset for ~$200?

Secondly, I am aware of how good genuine Rolex crystals look on black and dark colored dials, but is it that much of an upgrade over the stock ARF V2 crystal for the money against a white dial? Plenty of genuine Rolexes run aftermarket crystals anyway.

Please let me know your opinions about this, as many pictures as you can post for comparison if possible are welcomed! Also, more experienced members feel free to chime in on additional parts I might need to mechanically make this a great build.

Thank you!

Pietjebel

23/5/15
Hi! I’m building a 116234 now (someone does it for me) I will make a topic later and share the pics after. Gen dial, crystal hands and DW will be modded on.

You will see the difference def.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met RWI

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
IMO:

From the untrained eye: ARF Base + DW is the best bang for buck.

"Attention to detail": ARF Base + DW + Dial (which is what I did).

If you want to nitpick: ARF Base + Gen Crystal, Dial, DW, Crown, Hands.
At this point, you're going to hit $2000-3000 mark (including movement service and upgrades), when the cost of Gen is $6000. Meanwhile, you still have a fake watch. If you don't notice it yourself, don't bother changing it. You are constantly going to chase perfection and lose tons of $ in the process of doing so. I could tell you that you could EASILY wear an ARF Base + DW and nobody will call you out on it.
Nobody out there will have that level of knowledge where they'll look at the cylindrical shape of the seconds hand. And if they do, chances are, they are from this forum and are very knowledgeable with reps.
1e115b78f51f8dbde62fcda08f418eaa.jpg

Saulgman

Certified
21/9/16
Here is a pic of my franken Depp just assembled for me:
gen dial, gen dw, gen crystal and gen hands. Then you can decide yourself. I Think gen crystal is necessary, but dont know if hands are worth the 200$ - depends on your budget and nitpicking :)

naturaqua

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/7/18
The crystal might be worth it... but I don't think it's necessary to change the hands

Pietjebel

23/5/15
This is my just received V2 3135 from ARF.. look at the DW, its ugly af.
Anyways will share some more pics later.

VVQAP0.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met RWI

Reactions: Voo-doo

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I had a gen white dial in my arf for a while. Difference between stock crystal and gen is much less apparent compared with black dial. I wouldn’t bother with the crystal if you’ve got the white dial

Reactions: naturaqua

project716

Horology Curious
18/5/18
IMO:

From the untrained eye: ARF Base + DW is the best bang for buck.

"Attention to detail": ARF Base + DW + Dial (which is what I did).

If you want to nitpick: ARF Base + Gen Crystal, Dial, DW, Crown, Hands.
At this point, you're going to hit $2000-3000 mark (including movement service and upgrades), when the cost of Gen is $6000. Meanwhile, you still have a fake watch. If you don't notice it yourself, don't bother changing it. You are constantly going to chase perfection and lose tons of $ in the process of doing so. I could tell you that you could EASILY wear an ARF Base + DW and nobody will call you out on it.
Nobody out there will have that level of knowledge where they'll look at the cylindrical shape of the seconds hand. And if they do, chances are, they are from this forum and are very knowledgeable with reps.
1e115b78f51f8dbde62fcda08f418eaa.jpg

Thanks! That's about as reassuring of a response I can get, lol. If you don't mind, who did the modding on your watch? I'm currently looking for someone who can install the gen parts in the US. It looks great.

project716

Horology Curious
18/5/18
I had a gen white dial in my arf for a while. Difference between stock crystal and gen is much less apparent compared with black dial. I wouldn’t bother with the crystal if you’ve got the white dial

I'll gladly take some pictures of it if you're able to post them. I'm still considering it since I plan on wearing this daily for years to come but haven't quite made up my mind yet. Much appreciated!

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I'll gladly take some pictures of it if you're able to post them. I'm still considering it since I plan on wearing this daily for years to come but haven't quite made up my mind yet. Much appreciated!

Sure thing, Project. PM me your address and I’ll send you my whole collection.

Reactions: Gavinthurston1984

odnaut

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/11/15
Thanks for the topic. I am interested "DateJust 36 SS 116234 ARF 1:1 Best Edition 904L Steel White Dial on Jubilee Bracelet SH3135 V2" and thinking about buy a gen Roulette DW for it. Did anyone have experience with it and give me some advices? thanks a lot!!

odnaut

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/11/15
And I hear ARF SH3135 movement works perfectly with gen DW, is it true?

Thanks a lot!

project716

Horology Curious
18/5/18
Just got the watch back from 2fake4u yesterday. Couldn't be happier!

Genuine white dial, roulette date wheel, crown and case tube, and crystal.

ARF Datejust Franken 36mm