• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

116500 White Dial 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, ARF V1, V2 & Noob V1 & V2 Evaluation

Kmmas

7/4/15
I’ve read multiple places that best combo if noob movement and ARF V2 dial, so wanted to know where can you buy just the ARF V2 dial from? Also doesn’t the noob V2.2 solve the issue? So we don’t have to swap dials.

You are quite right, to the eye they look almost identical.

Finding large images of the watches was tough so fair play for you to finding them, but one of the reasons I kept the images small was to show that, although I'm an analyst and a bit OCD, you are quite right in your conclusion that the differences can only really be seen extremely close up and if you know what you're looking for. It kinda highlights we are really stressing over the minuscae, when at the wrist, these things are impossible to diffferentiate.

The main differences are the shape of the R and the spacing around ROL. I'll do some close up comparisons below but my conclusion is the same as yours - ARF v2 is the best dial around. Noob v2 is wholly passable.

Last edited:

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
I’ve read multiple places that best combo if noob movement and ARF V2 dial, so wanted to know where can you buy just the ARF V2 dial from? Also doesn’t the noob V2.2 solve the issue? So we don’t have to swap dials.

ARF has stopped selling parts (except bracelets I think), so you need to buy the whole watch and do the swaps and resell the one with the parts you don't want

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I'm still buying ARF dials and hands, I think it's just the bezel they don't sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jcher

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Do not forget that the relationship you have with your TD is important

It is a hassle for him to source parts and a good relationship always helps :)

Kmmas

7/4/15
VVE7cf.jpg

Basically

ARF V1 copied the 2016 Gen - Good Effort 7/10
ARF V2 copied the 2018 Gen - Amazing Effort 9/10
Noob V1 copied the 2017 but used the prototype in the Rolex 2017 Guide as a reference - Bad 4/10
Noob V2 copied the 2017 Gen - Great Effort 6.5/10

EDIT 06.03 - after a few weeks of QC evaluation and further research, it appears we have another v9 sub style scenario, with the quality varying from dial to dial. They appear to have changed the shape of the O slightly to make it marginally wider on the white dial. The subdials appear to be pot luck, although as shown above, the gen subdials differ between variations too.

All in all, ARF clearly have a better consistency when it comes to the dial and I stand by the decision to use the ARF dial over keeping the noob if you really want to get the best result from the watch.

Please ignore the colour of the dials, these pics were taken from either QC's or gens with differing lighting conditions.

Do you still stand by your decision to use the ARF dial over keeping the noob, with the newer “V 2.2” updated dial after Feb 2019?

ssouthall6

10/10/13
The ARF dial is better than the 2.2.

I have a load of dials that I've bought over time and on the 116500 the ARF just can't be beaten. When you compare it to gen (I've only bought gen 116520/116523/166528 daytona dials but I have gen yachtmaster and datejust dials too, there's something about the ARF that the noob just doesn't have. Aside from the ROLEX font issue, which is really tiny on the wrist and not so easy to see, there's a little glisten in the markers, a crispness in the lettering and just a general finish that looks like R factory. BP have had it with many of their dials too.

What you have to remember is this is MACRO analysis. On the wrist the dials are more than passable to the average Joe. I have a noob rose gold dial here and it's really good. If you have the opportunity to get ARF great, I highly recommend it, but noob is not horrific like I think some people took the analysis to mean.

There are loads of aftermarket dials and bezels out there - don't bother with them.

In bezels, Gen is best, then ARF, then noob, then everything else. Noob serif is only really obvious if you know. On rose gold it's very difficult to see, easier on 116500. On 116520 it's a bit shit, the engravings are shallow but it's passable.

On dials, I stick with my initial analysis. BP has some nice 116520 dials but are not really suitable on the noob due to the gap for the hand stack being too big.

dongs

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
16/8/18
EU
I got my noob V3 today and compared to my brother's V1 the bezel is far better. With the dail the writing and printing on the v3 is much finer.
See for yourself...

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I got my noob V3 today and compared to my brother's V1 the bezel is far better. With the dail the writing and printing on the v3 is much finer.
See for yourself...

The bezel, yes.

The dial is identical.

ce0f3996ed98281cfb2d4698126ddd1f.jpg

Look at :

the lowered O in OYSTER
the closeness of the first O in CHRONOMETER
the space between E and T in CHRONOMETER

...there are countless perceptions I can list but I think you get the picture

d58e1cda3c1a182a06e4a18e61b71078.jpg

Reactions: Rolemars

dongs

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
16/8/18
EU
Look at :

the lowered O in OYSTER
the closeness of the first O in CHRONOMETER
the space between E and T in CHRONOMETER

...there are countless perceptions I can list but I think you get the picture

You're absolutely right, it's unbelievable what you can see on closer inspection, but the print on the v3 is visable thinner...

Reactions: stufuse

ssouthall6

10/10/13
You're absolutely right, it's unbelievable what you can see on closer inspection, but the print on the v3 is visable thinner...

I haven't seen it in person yet so I will reserve judgement for sure...do you think it might be the crystal though? As I've swapped the ARF and noob every time due to clarity. Could be that they upgraded the crystal rather than the dial?

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
I haven't seen it in person yet so I will reserve judgement for sure...do you think it might be the crystal though? As I've swapped the ARF and noob every time due to clarity. Could be that they upgraded the crystal rather than the dial?

I think you’re right, Noob had a milky xtal prior, seems clearer on new batches

Last edited:
Reactions: ssouthall6