• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What do y'all do after ..

chuynh1109

22/8/18
I've been lurking for a bit here now, love the wealth of knowledge here and the great community.

I've dabbled in both Gen and Rep, and I was just curious to how some of you work in your reps into rotation, or maybe rotate your gens out of your collection all together!

I have a BK Sub 116610LN and loved it. But it just doesn't seem to be getting the wrist time it used to after I picked up a Grand Seiko. And those are just two watches in my collection that fight for wrist time. Just wanted to see what everyone else does.

Can't wait to hear from everyone!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

chuynh1109

22/8/18
Here's a pic of the watch that has been occupying my wrist 24/7
82e7177cca5b92458cc18a588b3d724a.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Each one gets its day in turn, "My watches rule"

Triple entendre

1. This is my rule about my watches
2. My watches are the best, "they rule" (figuratively)
3. My watches make the rules (literally)

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
I typically wear a different watch every day, and pick it according to my activity and attire.

The level of abuse with determine if I rock a genuine or replica.

Mowing the lawn? Franken 16750 GMT-Master.
Tinkering in the garage or lounging? Franken 116520 Daytona.
Scuba Diving? I'll pull out my Seiko Prospex and leave the Noob Submariner at home.

chuynh1109

22/8/18
I used to rotate daily as well, but as pieces have come and gone, I seem to be sticking to one daily driver

Currently all that I currently have at the moment as I've moved along from most of my Gen pieces is:

- Gen Grand Seiko SBGN001
- BK Noob 116610LN
- JF Oyster Perpetual Rhodium dial
- Gen Seiko PADI turtle

I'd really love to add a franken piece, I just haven't found one that I love.

chuynh1109

22/8/18
Here are some of my Gen past pieces to give this thread some life and pictures
3868cbe9ad328949a0fb73b9ec260d8a.jpg
733811f4045a5a600b4c992ad631c4bf.jpg

Reactions: leo6929

CarlosFFF

25/6/13
I have a bunch of gens that I really like. I've been blessed with a few financial windfalls and have a collection beyond the average person of my age. All that said, I find myself wearing my noob daytona most often.

It's fun to think about all the engineering that went into reverse engineering the cal 4130 and replicating the watch in all the other aspects. I am an engineer and love mechanical stuff, so love thinking about how difficult it must've been to get the noob daytona as gen-like as it is.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is: gen watches have a pedigree & engineering allure for me. rep watches have an engineering pedigree as well, but they trade the pedigree for the challenge of replicating something so difficult! I find that challenge to be very interesting from the engineering & manufacturing standpoint, so have no difficulty wearing reps just as much (or more) as my gens.

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Depends....

chuynh1109

22/8/18
I don’t think I prefer my gens over my rep or vise versa. I sold my GMT due to me wearing my Noob Sub more often, that glidelock is in a class of its own.

I guess my dilemma is I don’t know if I should move on the watches rep or gen that no longer get wrist time, or just let the, be safe queens. Should I free up the funds for a new addition? I know I’m the only one that can answer the questions, I just don’t know what to do haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I don’t think I prefer my gens over my rep or vise versa. I sold my GMT due to me wearing my Noob Sub more often, that glidelock is in a class of its own./QUOTE]

I use a rep glidelock clasp on my gen GMT. Years of suffering an ill-fitting bracelet instantly rectified.

Reactions: chuynh1109

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
I don’t think I prefer my gens over my rep or vise versa. I sold my GMT due to me wearing my Noob Sub more often, that glidelock is in a class of its own.

I guess my dilemma is I don’t know if I should move on the watches rep or gen that no longer get wrist time, or just let the, be safe queens. Should I free up the funds for a new addition? I know I’m the only one that can answer the questions, I just don’t know what to do haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buy a gen sub...noob or ARF is nothing vs gen

Reactions: KJ2020

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
If you don't need the money, don't sell them. Easy as that. Also, I realised that the full cycle to decide if a watch is being worn or not is not a week or a month, not even a quarter. Some watches work better for summer, short sleeves, beach, pool, sports, etc. While some other watches are more suited towards winter, heavy coats, thick jumpers, snowy weather, etc. You won't really know whether a watch is a keeper or not until a full year passes, IMHO.

chuynh1109

22/8/18
Buy a gen sub...noob or ARF is nothing vs gen
I think I'd enjoy a 5 digit more at this point. After having the ceramic bezels on both the Gen GMT and the Noob Sub, it just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

However, that being said, if I were able to pick up a new 114060 at MSRP from an AD I probably would haha

This whole watch addiction is a horrible thing

Reactions: KJ2020

Saulgman

Certified
21/9/16
I really like both gens and reps. The rule i go for is: If you can’t afford your rep as gen, don’t buy it.

I have a gen 16610 and a superfranken 116234. I use the gen most which is why I also just ordered the noob v9 hulk. I don’t know if I will be modding this yet. :)

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I really like both gens and reps. The rule i go for is: If you can’t afford your rep as gen, don’t buy it.

I have a gen 16610 and a superfranken 116234. I use the gen most which is why I also just ordered the noob v9 hulk. I don’t know if I will be modding this yet. :)

I had that rule too, but I soon realised that no one gives a damn about your watches, so I decided I'd skip that one and I bought a Nautilus and a Royal Oak shortly after. Did the same with a rose gold Calatrava not long ago and I couldn't be happier. No one has ever commented on those (but I don't wear them at work or in meetings, though).

​​​​

Reactions: chuynh1109

chuynh1109

22/8/18
I've gotten lucky with my noon Sub and it ran perfect at +1/day as soon as I got it. The OP was not as good.+15mins every hour, so I sent it out for servicing and replaced some parts with some Gen, now it's back and running great

And you're right, people don't really notice what's on my wrist other than fellow WIS

Saulgman

Certified
21/9/16
I had that rule too, but I soon realised that no one gives a damn about your watches, so I decided I'd skip that one and I bought a Nautilus and a Royal Oak shortly after. Did the same with a rose gold Calatrava not long ago and I couldn't be happier. No one has ever commented on those (but I don't wear them at work or in meetings, though).

​​​​

How is your Nautilus? Such a nice watch..

hackkakid

18/1/19
Merica
Only a few watches that I daily, too afraid to scratch the rest so I save them for special occasions...

Renowned Member
9/12/18

I am following this rule too. I can afford two gen rolexes so I got two rep rolexes.

If someone like me wearing Richard mille, people instantly know it is fake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: leo6929