• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Embarking on Ultimate 114060 Franken

Jpme

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/2/19
Seattle, Wa USA
The Noob V8 no date and Noob V9 date cases I got are identical, down to both being engraved 116610, so if you can get the V8 for less it might be a better option for you.

Quick question, do the Noob V8 & V9 cases have the wire spring for the bezel mechanism or the gen type ball and spring mechanism?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Quick question, do the Noob V8 & V9 cases have the wire spring for the bezel mechanism or the gen type ball and spring mechanism?

Since v5 noob case has gen spec bezel.

Reactions: Jpme

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Gen type, springs and balls. There is a bezel gasket, of course. It has a stairstep side profile to it, on the inside perimeter. It needs to be installed with the wider part ("bottom step") toward the case, NOT toward the insert. It matters, the bezel will go on if the gasket is reversed but will not rotate and then it's harder to remove it again unnecessarily. The insert is secured with sticky tape and can be heated up for easy insert removal. Heating should be done with the bezel removed or the movement removed to keep the heat from frying your movement lubricants.

Don't do this, lol

Stovetop.jpg

Jpme

10/2/19
Seattle, Wa USA
As an update on my No Date Submariner 114060 saga, I finally received my 904l Noob base.

After removing the cyclops on the Xtal, I switched out the dial and movement to a BP 114060, with a SA3130. I switched out the BP hands for gen. BTW, the gen hands fit perfectly on the SA3130?! I’ve read the the second hand stem is usually is too small and needs broaching to fit but, not in this case...

a8ca3c10ad978363489e3257d734dbfc.jpg

Last, I swapped the Noob clasp for an ARF. The ARF SELs had a gap and didn’t have as good of a recess from the case as the Noob SELs. I also swapped the bracelet pins for gen but, the Noob SELs need a bit more work. However, the ARF clasp looked far closer to gen in both fit and finish, than the Noob clasp.

507897dd3e834276106c313f0f3a0d4b.jpg

94fb312017d0b8d091218390fefd029b.jpg

e41970acbdc0f75b531f9d42715dd84b.jpg

I’ll be changing the crown to gen from the BP crown in the next couple days.

I also have a gen insert but he new Noob insert looks damn good. I keep comparing the gen to the Noob in different lighting conditions but, I can’t see a $650 difference. The paint is super close to Platinum on the gen. The pearl is the one exception. It is far too white as the gen has a grey tint in comparison.

The bezel is super thick compared to gen, which has me considering a full bezel assembly swap. I’m ordering a Clean Factory bezel to see if that is the answer at 10% of the cost of a gen assembly. Worth the gamble and hassle of shaving the Noob retainer ring, IMO.

More to come in the days ahead on this.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
SELs fixed. Time for bed...
197fb0bba93dec221b01ea4ba1020f73.jpg

7eef7216c8d2439a01403468eb20d9a7.jpg

This looks really good! So which bracelet did you end up using? Not clear if you fixed the ARF gap or the Noob recess.

Regarding the insert, the Noob V9 markers may look good now, but there are a lot of reports of the marker paint deteriorating, sometimes as early as a few months. Maybe the Clean factory one will be better!

Really nice work bro!

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Thats a really nice build!

I have yet to get there - as i chose another route.
Started with a V7 base, i first added an ARF bracelet but switched it again for a Noob one. I think the links on the Noob bracelet are engineered better.

I then installed a v5 clasp, to be period correct with the double engraved rehaut.
And is has got an ARF insert, which sat a bit low, so double-sided tape was the solution.

I think i will now get a better dial (bp?) and hands (arf?), so there's still a lot to do but that's why i love our hobby :)

V09ind.jpg

V098d2.jpg

V09S5Z.jpg

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
Sounds like a very good build. Interesting why you choose gen crystal? Keep me posted. I have one. I went the other way ARF 2824, because hands, bezel, insert, is already close to gen. I just sourced a gen dial and installed because markers give it away for me.

Can gen dial and hands fit 2824?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15

Hi, no they can’t. Dial feet will have to be cut and dial will need to be glued or 3m taped onto movement. Also gen hands will not fit, no need as the 2824 hands are very good if not best already.

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
Hi, no they can’t. Dial feet will have to be cut and dial will need to be glued or 3m taped onto movement. Also gen hands will not fit, no need as the 2824 hands are very good if not best already.

Thanks. And can it fit 3135? And what hands we are talking about here? ARF?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
ARF hands. So I have a 2824 ARF. Gen dial and hands will not fit my 2824 ARF. They will, bolt onto a 3135 movements though. So if you get a 3135 ARF...it will bolt in. If you buy a 2824 ARF, gen dial will have to be modified and hands will not fit.

Reactions: Cadows

Jpme

10/2/19
Seattle, Wa USA
This looks really good! So which bracelet did you end up using? Not clear if you fixed the ARF gap or the Noob recess.

Regarding the insert, the Noob V9 markers may look good now, but there are a lot of reports of the marker paint deteriorating, sometimes as early as a few months. Maybe the Clean factory one will be better!

Really nice work bro!

Sorry for being vague in my post. I ended up using the Noob bracelet/SELs with the ARF clasp.

Jpme

10/2/19
Seattle, Wa USA
Thats a really nice build!

I have yet to get there - as i chose another route.
Started with a V7 base, i first added an ARF bracelet but switched it again for a Noob one. I think the links on the Noob bracelet are engineered better.

I then installed a v5 clasp, to be period correct with the double engraved rehaut.
And is has got an ARF insert, which sat a bit low, so double-sided tape was the solution.

I think i will now get a better dial (bp?) and hands (arf?), so there's still a lot to do but that's why i love our hobby :)

V09ind.jpg

V098d2.jpg

V09S5Z.jpg

Cool build. I like your approach.

BTW, the BP hands looked WAY better than the Noob hands. As I was doing the swap, I was surprised how rough the edges of the Noob hands were, as well as how dirty the surface finish was. The BP hands looked sharp, clean and well finished with a curve that is shy of the gen arc but, reasonably close.

I haven’t seen the ARF hands in person, but the BP hands may be an option.

Reactions: Itto and KJ2020

Jpme

10/2/19
Seattle, Wa USA
Unfortunately, no.

That’s one of the key reason I took the gamble on the SA3130, it accepts some gen parts, like hands.

However, the SA3130 winding stem is different than the 3135 stem I have so, I need to roll the dice and try to remove the stem from the BP crown without f**king it up.

If anyone knows where to get a replacement SA3130 winding stem, I’d appreciate direction. I don’t like having one option that may result in tragedy.

Reactions: Cadows

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Unfortunately, no.

That’s one of the key reason I took the gamble on the SA3130, it accepts some gen parts, like hands.

However, the SA3130 winding stem is different than the 3135 stem I have so, I need to roll the dice and try to remove the stem from the BP crown without f**king it up.

If anyone knows where to get a replacement SA3130 winding stem, I’d appreciate direction. I don’t like having one option that may result in tragedy.

get it from your TD, in which you ordered your watch.

Jpme

10/2/19
Seattle, Wa USA
Ok. Here’s an update.

I’ve ended up with a Noob V9 to make the watch a full 904l example.

I ended up with a gen xtal as the lec was far finer on the gen and the AR was blue compared on the reps compared to the gen.

The Noob SELs fit better so, the bracelet is Noob V9 904l. I did change the clasp to the ARF v2 904l as the engraving and finish was closer to gen, in my observation.

The BP 114069 dial is damn close to gen. Even the 3,6,9 marker corners are a bit rounded as gen.

The gen hands are a day/night difference vs Noob. The Noob hands were somewhat tarnished and the edges are rough. The BP hands were much better but, the gen hands are nicely curved, the white gold is super warm and the edges are perfect.

Now, the bezel and insert. The Noob v9 bezel looks good from the top view. The teeth are now spaced like gen. However, from the side it is taller than gen by .1mm. That doesn’t sound like much but, the extra height is at the base and makes the whole assembly look fat.

I bought a new Clean Factory bezel and insert for a swap. The bezel height is gen correct and it snaps on the Noob v9 retaining ring like gen. That’s ironic as the Noob bezel does not. It actually pulled the crystal off when I removed the assembly. In short, the Noob bezel is a hot mess. The CF bezel is spot on to gen, other than the tooth spacing. They are too close together compared to gen. One note, I had to sand down the Noob retainer ring to 2.28mm for the CF bezel to sit at gen height. A Clark 2.3 mm gasket set the xtal height perfectly.

As for the insert , I had 3 options. The Noob V9, Clean Factory and a Gen insert I picked up. Ironically, I would give the Noob the nod over the Clean Factory for paint color and engraving depth/placement. The CF black ceramic looked closer to gen. But, the pearl and platinum playing on the gen just aren’t reasonably replicated right now. The pearl has a cream tint and everything on the rep market is white. Sure, I could spongebob either rep insert but, the pearl is just always screaming rep to me.

In the end the gen insert was the best route.

So here is the build spec:

- [x] Noob V9 116610
- [x] Gen XTAL
- [x] BP movement SA3130
- [x] BP 114060 dial
- [x] ARF clasp 904l
- [x] Gen hands
- [x] Gen insert
- [x] Clean Factory bezel

c7d55ee4f648377af5aa4e0026446812.jpg
6c6e3490976132b1e1b372df93e6bf89.jpg
c502fb17a4fc4626ca74f81cd15020db.jpg
c74ced7523e2db9f8040ec25f0a0258d.jpg

Here are the inserts Noob => Gen => CF for reference

43ad1f8c8c39a8a922763eee75618f53.jpg

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Ok. Here’s an update.

I’ve ended up with a Noob V9 to make the watch a full 904l example.

I ended up with a gen xtal as the lec was far finer on the gen and the AR was blue compared on the reps compared to the gen.

The Noob SELs fit better so, the bracelet is Noob V9 904l. I did change the clasp to the ARF v2 904l as the engraving and finish was closer to gen, in my observation.

The BP 114069 dial is damn close to gen. Even the 3,6,9 marker corners are a bit rounded as gen.

The gen hands are a day/night difference vs Noob. The Noob hands were somewhat tarnished and the edges are rough. The BP hands were much better but, the gen hands are nicely curved, the white gold is super warm and the edges are perfect.

Now, the bezel and insert. The Noob v9 bezel looks good from the top view. The teeth are now spaced like gen. However, from the side it is taller than gen by .1mm. That doesn’t sound like much but, the extra height is at the base and makes the whole assembly look fat.

I bought a new Clean Factory bezel and insert for a swap. The bezel height is gen correct and it snaps on the Noob v9 retaining ring like gen. That’s ironic as the Noob bezel does not. It actually pulled the crystal off when I removed the assembly. In short, the Noob bezel is a hot mess. The CF bezel is spot on to gen, other than the tooth spacing. They are too close together compared to gen. One note, I had to sand down the Noob retainer ring to 2.28mm for the CF bezel to sit at gen height. A Clark 2.3 mm gasket set the xtal height perfectly.

As for the insert , I had 3 options. The Noob V9, Clean Factory and a Gen insert I picked up. Ironically, I would give the Noob the nod over the Clean Factory for paint color and engraving depth/placement. The CF black ceramic looked closer to gen. But, the pearl and platinum playing on the gen just aren’t reasonably replicated right now. The pearl has a cream tint and everything on the rep market is white. Sure, I could spongebob either rep insert but, the pearl is just always screaming rep to me.

In the end the gen insert was the best route.

So here is the build spec:

- [x] Noob V9 116610
- [x] Gen XTAL
- [x] BP movement SA3130
- [x] BP 114060 dial
- [x] ARF clasp 904l
- [x] Gen hands
- [x] Gen insert
- [x] Clean Factory bezel

c7d55ee4f648377af5aa4e0026446812.jpg
6c6e3490976132b1e1b372df93e6bf89.jpg
c502fb17a4fc4626ca74f81cd15020db.jpg
c74ced7523e2db9f8040ec25f0a0258d.jpg

Here are the inserts Noob => Gen => CF for reference

43ad1f8c8c39a8a922763eee75618f53.jpg

Nice build

Koric

Known Member
4/6/18
ARF hands. So I have a 2824 ARF. Gen dial and hands will not fit my 2824 ARF. They will, bolt onto a 3135 movements though. So if you get a 3135 ARF...it will bolt in. If you buy a 2824 ARF, gen dial will have to be modified and hands will not fit.

What is a good price for a 114060 gen dial and where can I get one besides m2m or ebay?