• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT master II when its dead

Cjgrey22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/1/19
Just have a quick question about my GMT master II replica. When its finally dead because I know it will be a matter of time before it does die what's the best route to go to get something bulletproof or close to it? Id like to put something in it that I know will not die a few years down the road and I can use it as my daily driver. I currently have a V9 Noob edition tat I don't wear everyday in fear that that day will be the one that kills it. Maybe I'm worrying about it too much and should just wear it no matter what and see what happens but I'd like to have a backup plan of what to do when it takes a shit so I can replace it with something better and longer lasting. Also who can do that for me or should I just figure out how to do it myself. Thanks in advance.

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
What movement do you have inside it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cjgrey22

22/1/19
What movement do you have inside it?

It’s the A3186 movement. I just want to know that when the clone dies I have something very reliable to fall back on.

saxo

Renowned Member
21/3/16
Correct me I'm wrong, the ICHS can be easily replaced since its a 2836 with gmt module, the CHS has to be replaced by the TD only since only Noob produces them...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
What saxo said. The A3187 movement is very delicate and when it dies there are no spare parts available to fix it. You can pop in a gen movement but those aren’t cheap.

Your best option is to be very careful with this one and hope it lasts you for a while. Sorry that there isn’t better news.

Cjgrey22

22/1/19
What saxo said. The A3187 movement is very delicate and when it dies there are no spare parts available to fix it. You can pop in a gen movement but those aren’t cheap.

Your best option is to be very careful with this one and hope it lasts you for a while. Sorry that there isn’t better news.

It’s the 3186 movement. Not the 3187. Can a different one be swapped in that’s more reliable? Even if the hand stack is not correct? I just want something that I can daily and just run the shit out of it without worrying.

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Sorry, I meant the 3186. Right now there is no stable clone of the 3186. You can replace the movement with an ICHS one but you’ll need new hands, new datewheel and either new dial or clip the dial feet on this one.

I read that it was possible to convert a Yuki 3135 into a 3186, I believe it was occb2 who tried this but I’m not certain, so you can try him if he has any recommendations.

Cjgrey22

22/1/19
Sorry, I meant the 3186. Right now there is no stable clone of the 3186. You can replace the movement with an ICHS one but you’ll need new hands, new datewheel and either new dial or clip the dial feet on this one.

I read that it was possible to convert a Yuki 3135 into a 3186, I believe it was occb2 who tried this but I’m not certain, so you can try him if he has any recommendations.

That sucks. Guess I have to baby it and hope it doesn’t die. If it does though a gen will work? Do I need anything besides the movement on that? Can I use the old hands and dial?

Also could I go with a 2836 movement with the ichs? Would that go right in or would I need more?

pt1803

21/8/14
If you go the 2836 route, you'll need to get a pair of hands too. Since the 3186 won't fit in there due to difference in diameter. You'll also need to mod your dial(cut off the dial feet) or get a new dial.

Cjgrey22

22/1/19
If you go the 2836 route, you'll need to get a pair of hands too. Since the 3186 won't fit in there due to difference in diameter. You'll also need to mod your dial(cut off the dial feet) or get a new dial.

So if I go the 2836 route I would need the hands and dial but then it should just go right in correct?

Secondly if I go with a gen movement and get the dial and hands will that go right in as well or will mods need to be made to it?

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
OP, if I were you, I’d sell this one while it’s still working well, and buy the ICHS one. It’ll save you a lot of worry, a lot of time sourcing a replacement movement (and possibly other parts as well), and a whole lot of $$. Once the movement goes no one will want to buy it for the reasons mentioned above. I’ve owned 4-5 of the ICHS GMTII-Cs and they were very reliable. Yes, it had the ICHS, but unless you are a member of this forum and have the watch right up to your face, it is very difficult to see that the order of the hands is different to that on the gen.

Reactions: KJ2020