• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WSO Bezel problem

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/12/15
Hi everyone,

I bought a WSO bezel for my gen GMT 1675.

For some reason, it seems like the fit is so tight that the bezel simply cannot rotate.

Everything else is gen on my 1675.

My watchmaker tried to sandpaper the inner circle of the bezel but it is still too tight and cannot rotate freely.

Could it be because I am using a gen flat bezel spring and it cannot accomodate the WSO Bezel? Should I get a WSO flat bezel spring in this case?

Thanks.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi everyone,

I bought a WSO bezel for my gen GMT 1675.

For some reason, it seems like the fit is so tight that the bezel simply cannot rotate.

Everything else is gen on my 1675.

My watchmaker tried to sandpaper the inner circle of the bezel but it is still too tight and cannot rotate freely.

Could it be because I am using a gen flat bezel spring and it cannot accomodate the WSO Bezel? Should I get a WSO flat bezel spring in this case?

Thanks.

I had the same problem with 16710 WSO bezels, their machine tolerances are not great. I just kept taking more off til it fit. I used 600 grit paper and hand sanded the first one. I carefully held it on edge on a desk and kept turning it every 5 or so strokes. I probably spent 3 hours working on it but I didn't want to take too much off or let it get out of round. The next two I used a dremel on because I knew about how much to take off. It was like a 10 minute job. If you bought the bezel for 1675, you should be able to make it fit. Keep sanding and test fitting every so often and take more off til it does.

I don't think the tension ring is a factor, it's the bottom inner diameter is too small.

15/12/15
I had the same problem with 16710 WSO bezels, their machine tolerances are not great. I just kept taking more off til it fit. I used 600 grit paper and hand sanded the first one. I carefully held it on edge on a desk and kept turning it every 5 or so strokes. I probably spent 3 hours working on it but I didn't want to take too much off or let it get out of round. The next two I used a dremel on because I knew about how much to take off. It was like a 10 minute job. If you bought the bezel for 1675, you should be able to make it fit. Keep sanding and test fitting every so often and take more off til it does.

I don't think the tension ring is a factor, it's the bottom inner diameter is too small.

Thank for your reply!

I brought it to my expert watchmaker and he also sanded the inner diameter for a long time, but the bezel is still stuck and unable to rotate. Perhaps more needs to be sanded?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank for your reply!

I brought it to my expert watchmaker and he also sanded the inner diameter for a long time, but the bezel is still stuck and unable to rotate. Perhaps more needs to be sanded?

Yes, keep sanding til it rotates freely. First it will get unstuck, then it will rotate with effort then it will drag a lot, then it will drag a little, then it will barely scrape occasionally, and ultimately VOILA it will be smooth as the day it was made by Rolex. Test fit it without the tension ring, no need to fool with that at all til the inner diameter issue is corrected.

Long time he spent? Lol, not long enough! Do it til it's right. The only other potential factor is whether the bezel is bent. Even then it would rotate freely for most of the circle, then drag or stick where the bend is. I had to unbend my gen bezel once when it got a slight upward curve in a 20 degree arc from prying it up. Tricky business getting them perfectly flat again. I put the curved arc over the edge of a thick block of wood and tapped it with varying force with a rubber mallet to restore the shape.

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
Make the bezel adjustments OFF of the watch - not installed. Feel where it is freezing and concentrate on that area. Once it rotates properly THEN install everything back together...

15/12/15
Yes, keep sanding til it rotates freely. First it will get unstuck, then it will rotate with effort then it will drag a lot, then it will drag a little, then it will barely scrape occasionally, and ultimately VOILA it will be smooth as the day it was made by Rolex. Test fit it without the tension ring, no need to fool with that at all til the inner diameter issue is corrected.

Long time he spent? Lol, not long enough! Do it til it's right. The only other potential factor is whether the bezel is bent. Even then it would rotate freely for most of the circle, then drag or stick where the bend is. I had to unbend my gen bezel once when it got a slight upward curve in a 20 degree arc from prying it up. Tricky business getting them perfectly flat again. I put the curved arc over the edge of a thick block of wood and tapped it with varying force with a rubber mallet to restore the shape.

I put the WSO bezel on without the tension ring, and it is able to rotate freely - super smooth! In light of this, could it be because my gen tension ring is incompatible with the WSO bezel, hence it gets stuck?

Thanks for the help!

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
I put the WSO bezel on without the tension ring, and it is able to rotate freely - super smooth! In light of this, could it be because my gen tension ring is incompatible with the WSO bezel, hence it gets stuck?

Thanks for the help!

probably it is.....did you get a WSO tension ring? If so, I would try that one...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Those tension rings are just REALLY thin washers, like maybe a tenth of a millemeter. There is no significant difference between the gen and the WSO tension ring. If your bezel is turning smoothly and is not loose or rocking, I would leave it as is. Eventually you might put enough wear on the underside of the bezel to be able to use one without the bezel locking up. They are just there to tighten the bezel up and keep it from rocking, in addition to creating a wear point other than the bezel or the case.

The other thing you could do is sand the bottom of the WSO bezel that tenth of a millimeter, or until you CAN use the tension ring and have your current smoothness of rotation.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
You dont even need to sand the friction washer, just cut it in half so its a half circle, and if its s tight cut it again into 4ths

15/12/15
probably it is.....did you get a WSO tension ring? If so, I would try that one...

I will get one and try, thank you.

Those tension rings are just REALLY thin washers, like maybe a tenth of a millemeter. There is no significant difference between the gen and the WSO tension ring. If your bezel is turning smoothly and is not loose or rocking, I would leave it as is. Eventually you might put enough wear on the underside of the bezel to be able to use one without the bezel locking up. They are just there to tighten the bezel up and keep it from rocking, in addition to creating a wear point other than the bezel or the case.

The other thing you could do is sand the bottom of the WSO bezel that tenth of a millimeter, or until you CAN use the tension ring and have your current smoothness of rotation.

If the WSO tension ring doesn't work, will try this option and sand the bottom of the WSO bezel further. Thanks.

You dont even need to sand the friction washer, just cut it in half so its a half circle, and if its s tight cut it again into 4ths

What do you mean by cut it in half? Won't it be unbalanced?

DeLoMan

3/2/19

This is freaking BRILLIANT!!! I wasted hours tonight trying to get my 1675 bezel assembly to work. I sanded the washer edges, thinned it, etc to no avail. I saw this post and figured “why not?” I cut the friction washer in half. Still too tight. I cut it in half again. MAGIC! The bezel spins, but not too loose only using 1/4 of the washer.

Thanks for this tip, YoDog! I wish I had read it sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15/12/15
This is freaking BRILLIANT!!! I wasted hours tonight trying to get my 1675 bezel assembly to work. I sanded the washer edges, thinned it, etc to no avail. I saw this post and figured “why not?” I cut the friction washer in half. Still too tight. I cut it in half again. MAGIC! The bezel spins, but not too loose only using 1/4 of the washer.

Thanks for this tip, YoDog! I wish I had read it sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you literally mean cutting the metal circle into a semi circle? It does not fall out?

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
KJ2020 I just received a bezel set for my 16710 project and the bezel literally just falls off the retainer and sits about 1mm off the case.... what a piece of junk haha. There’s no way it’s worth the money WSO charges lol. I’ll have to find an alternative now I guess.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 I just received a bezel set for my 16710 project and the bezel literally just falls off the retainer and sits about 1mm off the case.... what a piece of junk haha. There’s no way it’s worth the money WSO charges lol. I’ll have to find an alternative now I guess.

Maybe you just got a bad one - I had to rework all 3 of the ones I bought. Could be someone messed that one up and sent it back.

All of mine are working fine and look great. Nice tight fit and rotate smoothly.

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Maybe you just got a bad one - I had to rework all 3 of the ones I bought. Could be someone messed that one up and sent it back.

All of mine are working fine and look great. Nice tight fit and rotate smoothly.

Ah damn okay yeah it probably just my shit luck lol. WSO is really reluctant to let me send it back they keep reverting to the fact it must be my crystal gasket. Very argumentative on their end which is a shame since I’ve bought so much from them over the years. Well I have some faith hearing you got a couple good ones.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ah damn okay yeah it probably just my shit luck lol. WSO is really reluctant to let me send it back they keep reverting to the fact it must be my crystal gasket. Very argumentative on their end which is a shame since I’ve bought so much from them over the years. Well I have some faith hearing you got a couple good ones.

Should have nothing to do with the crystal gasket. That sits inside the retaining ring and doesn't impact bezel connection to the outside of the retaining ring in any way. They've got to refund you. Wait a day and order another one, lol.

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Should have nothing to do with the crystal gasket. That sits inside the retaining ring and doesn't impact bezel connection to the outside of the retaining ring in any way. They've got to refund you. Wait a day and order another one, lol.

Yeah I know I don’t think the person I’m dealing with has any idea what they are talking about, English seems a little broken although these are apparently shipped from the states. I had to laugh at the gold QC sticker on the bag obviously one tried this thing out at all. Insert doesn’t even snap fit just... falls out also. Plus the scallops on the bezel are super deep on one size and really shallow opposite on the other side lol. I’m returning it and will have to wait for a new one plus a new Clark crystal and I should be finished. Then I’ll decide wether or not to keep it haha.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yeah I know I don’t think the person I’m dealing with has any idea what they are talking about, English seems a little broken although these are apparently shipped from the states. I had to laugh at the gold QC sticker on the bag obviously one tried this thing out at all. Insert doesn’t even snap fit just... falls out also. Plus the scallops on the bezel are super deep on one size and really shallow opposite on the other side lol. I’m returning it and will have to wait for a new one plus a new Clark crystal and I should be finished. Then I’ll decide wether or not to keep it haha.

Wow that's horrendous. Mine were so good I had to do a double take more than once to make sure which one was my gen. They all fit on my gen and I use them on it periodically. Inserts snapped in too. I glued them in though because it's easier and faster to change the bezel than the insert and the inserts get damaged with a lot of swapping.

Last edited:

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Wow that's horrendous. Mine were so good I had to do a double take more than once to make sure which one was my gen. They all fit on my gen and I use them on it periodically. Inserts snapped in too. I glued them in though because it's easier and faster to change the bezel than the insert and the inserts get damaged with a lot of swapping.

Oh really sounds like you got some from a good batch then, hopefully I’ll get a good one if they send a set back. I still haven’t heard back from them at all.... fingers crossed