• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2019 edition - most gen-like out of the box rolex rep?

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
At first I have to say IMOP the ARF cyclops magnification is a bit too large. So the faulty font can be seen a lot better.
I would change the crystal to a prof black hole or a gen to solve this problem.
If not satisfiying enough you would have to search for a really good DWO and that‘s the problem because TC is out of business.
VRF uses a really good DWO. But I don‘t know where to source as a spare part.
Maybe we could trim and shave down a gen datewheel and use it as an overlay. Or take a good aftermarket 3135 datewheel. E. g. WSO. But I don’t know about the font quality.

Other possibility is just buy a VRF Max A2836. It‘s a lot cheaper but you will have to solve other flaws. Cyclops magnification is too small so you‘ll need a new crystal, too. Bracelet and SELs are a bit lower quality as ARF. SEL lowering and bracelet overwork/rebrush/refinish will improve this. But a lot of work necessary. VRF‘s Max Sub is underrated. A really really good watch ootb. At the end the cheaper solution.

Greets Andi

Reactions: vcappp

Dufan

7/10/18
a user of the Italian section is building a franken taking the best parts from sub arf 3135 and noob V 9 + bezel spongebob + cyclope 2.5 (arf magnifies 3x, noob I do not know) .. this is the best solution, you spend between clocks and works 1,500.00 but you get excellent result.

TheKnight

16/11/18
Wish they would make 5 digit reps still. Common ARF plz. the best sub is the 5 digit. the lugs taper so nice into the bracelet. the new one its a big fat slab on the wrist with a bracelet sticking out!

TheKnight

16/11/18
Rolex makes so many beautiful watches, which makes the popularity of the 6 digit ceramic submariner even more perplexing. Each to their own but it's boxy, boring, common and ergonomically ugly IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed 5 digit is best! wish arf would make one!

DankNibba

Looking Around
18/3/18
Noob recently released a Daytona with a clone movement. Working chronograph and proper thickness. Your prayers have been answered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the clone movement reliable though? I have always avoided Rolex GMTs with clone movement because they are notoriously unreliable and any repair to a watch smith would cost you a small fortune because it's a Rolex movement.

DankNibba

Looking Around
18/3/18
It is heavier for sure and thicker. But.. surprisingly it wears very comfortable - and i have quite a small wrist (17cm).

a4ilr.jpg

Did you fit a gen crystal on that sub? One of the better blackhole I've ever seen on the date.

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Did you fit a gen crystal on that sub? One of the better blackhole I've ever seen on the date.

ARF SD43 has got the best ootb black hole effect. No need for a gen crystal if you get one with correct cyclops magnification. There are different batches out there.

Greets Andi

Reactions: vcappp

ks123

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
27/3/16
London
ARF Daytonas are good ootb, that's if you don't care about the working Chrono function

Reactions: M Scott

DankNibba

Looking Around
18/3/18
ARF Daytonas are good ootb, that's if you don't care about the working Chrono function

I keep reading ARF Daytona need a mod on the rotor because it doesn't weight enough to power A7750. And A7750 are considered to be unreliable just because of the chrono complication.

ks123

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
27/3/16
London
I keep reading ARF Daytona need a mod on the rotor because it doesn't weight enough to power A7750. And A7750 are considered to be unreliable just because of the chrono complication.

i use to have one, the problem i had with the rotor was that it was quit loud, but with some moebius oil it quitens it down, power reserve was also not a problem. Pretty much same as my other watches which run A2824

Reactions: M Scott and 2001025

thescorpiusgroup

13/11/15
While we're on the topic of most gen-like, how do the 3135 and 3235 movements compare?

I've surmised that the SH3135 is better than the SA3135 on the Noob Submariners, but does anyone know about the new A3235 on the Noob Sea-Dweller 126600?

davidws

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/8/06
global
The new Noob SD 126600 is.. how do i put that.. unnecessary.

The arf is already good ootb, feels amazing and with noob you will have qc problems, i almost guarantee you this. And i would bet the noob is not superior to the arf. I cannot comment on the sd4000 since i do not own one currently.

With all the ceramic (diver) rolies, i'd go for arf since their platinum bezel engravings cannot be topped ootb.

About the noob having QC problems:

I received the ARF just a few weeks ago and the crown didn't pull out all the way to change the time... Needed to take it to my watchmaker to fix, also, the crown at the reghaut is slightly misaligned... it's very slight but brings out the OCD in me.

Now that it's mostly fixed, the watch is mostly awesome... except for the rehaut crown and I believe a low power reserve.

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Yeah, i think all factories have the occasional qc issues, not only noob. But, for example, i never had bad sels on an arf Sub or Sd - whereas the sels on a noob are most of the time flush with the lugs.

Limex

Looking Around
26/4/19
Most gen-like out of the box rolex rep 2019?
For me it is clearly the ARF Datejust 41.
Some people say the date font is too bold. I think it i hit or miss. I have seen some with too bold font and some with very good font.
The same happens to the SELs. In total it is nearly a super rep in my eyes.
I have owned a ARF SD43 V2 and no. It is no super rep. Not even close. The bracelet was too light and rattling. The rehaut was not aligned with the markers on the dial. The insert engraving color faded after swimming once.
The triangle marker at 12 o‘clock was sitting too high without rounded edges. Too pointy not gen like. You won‘t find these problems in the Datejust as there are no bezel insert engravings and there is no triangle marker at 12. So there are less flaws which can exist I think.

Very well said. I totally agree.