• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is BP still making the best 16600 Sea Dweller?

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
Received mine today. A bit gutted as the bezel doesn’t turn at all and I can’t resize the bracelet as the screws won’t come out. I came close to throwing the thing at the wall. Absolute nightmare so have stuck it on a strap for now. The screw head is knackered and I can neither screw it back in or screw it out. Any suggestions appreciated lol

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Received mine today. A bit gutted as the bezel doesn’t turn at all and I can’t resize the bracelet as the screws won’t come out. I came close to throwing the thing at the wall. Absolute nightmare so have stuck it on a strap for now. The screw head is knackered and I can neither screw it back in or screw it out. Any suggestions appreciated lol

The bezel on mine was shocking, it turned both ways, and felt like it was going to fall off.
(Even if I specifically told Lucy to check that...)

If it doesn't turn, no biggie - you won't be timing dives with it and the action will never be right.

For the screws, first thing is to get the right screwdriver - which needs to be a quality 1.6mm hollow ground. If it's not hollow ground, you'll f*ck up the screw face and then the screw. If it's still tough, get the bracelet in a vice (with a towel around it) and grip the screwdriver with a pair of pliers to get more torque.

Or instead of a vice get one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bracelet-Holder-Remover-Jewelry-QUALITY/dp/B07BRKQXQJ

The worst thing you can do is get sweaty and pissed off - you'll trash your watch.

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
The bezel on mine was shocking, it turned both ways, and felt like it was going to fall off.
(Even if I specifically told Lucy to check that...)

If it doesn't turn, no biggie - you won't be timing dives with it and the action will never be right.

For the screws, first thing is to get the right screwdriver - which needs to be a quality 1.6mm hollow ground. If it's not hollow ground, you'll f*ck up the screw face and then the screw. If it's still tough, get the bracelet in a vice (with a towel around it) and grip the screwdriver with a pair of pliers to get more torque.

Or instead of a vice get one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bracelet-Holder-Remover-Jewelry-QUALITY/dp/B07BRKQXQJ

The worst thing you can do is get sweaty and pissed off - you'll trash your watch.

Thanks. Managed to get the screws out now. Just a shame about the bezel. Even taking the bracelet off was a nightmare, the SELS are tight as f**k!!

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Thanks. Managed to get the screws out now. Just a shame about the bezel. Even taking the bracelet off was a nightmare, the SELS are tight as f**k!!

Pop the bezel off and reinstall it with the spring in the correct position. Mine sucked but was just put on incorrectly. Little bit of grease applied to the contact areas of the bezel will work wonders as well. I sanded and polished the end links a bit. They are too tight.

Polish the edges of the bracelet on a polishing wheel, ultrasonically clean, and baby oil bath. Whole different watch then.

Reactions: KJ2020

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
Pop the bezel off and reinstall it with the spring in the correct position. Mine sucked but was just put on incorrectly. Little bit of grease applied to the contact areas of the bezel will work wonders as well. I sanded and polished the end links a bit. They are too tight.

Polish the edges of the bracelet on a polishing wheel, ultrasonically clean, and baby oil bath. Whole different watch then.

Cheers. I’ve sent mine to Johnny Depp as he’s gonna service the movement for me as well

impossible

Renowned Member
29/11/17
65798fb9669fcc2182d405c8965ac4c2.jpg
f078a04b0b3f80f91895735af2f3804d.jpg
58c23f86c942f64e4823a26bc2af75f2.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Snil and Nur-Uhr

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
what is the current movement on the latest BP? 2836 or 3135?

What/ where from are the aftermarket TC bracelets?

T&E

I'm Pretty Popular
16/9/18
I love sea Dweller. I must take it

Inviato dal mio SM-N960F utilizzando Tapatalk

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
Still considering this one. Why is the bracelet and clasp so bad? Is it going to fall apart on me? It’s putting me off a bit.

anyone successful water proofed it to 10 atms? Think it would make a great summer watch if it can be sealed up.

edit: I’ve now found the other monster thread and found all the answers I was looking for. Long story short, I’ve ordered one :cool:

Last edited:

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
Sd, put on a bulang leather strap while the bracelet is bathing in baby oil
db0459b9b868aa4c27bfc49458295f62.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GM1903 met Tapatalk

Reactions: Seefeld

FragileExpressHP

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/12/18
what is the current movement on the latest BP? 2836 or 3135?

What/ where from are the aftermarket TC bracelets?

My current TD is telling me there isn’t stock of the 3135 at the moment, just 2836. I’d think 2836 is the better one for DWO, 3135 has better CG (OOTB)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
My current TD is telling me there isn’t stock of the 3135 at the moment, just 2836. I’d think 2836 is the better one for DWO, 3135 has better CG (OOTB)

The real queston is WHICH model of 3135 ... if not a VR go for the 2836 which is a workhorse ...
Then open your watch, remove the movement, rework the CGs a bit (they are NOT that bad OOTB), put the movement back (without the hassle of swapping the DWO), enjoy.

Reactions: FragileExpressHP

FragileExpressHP

15/12/18
The real queston is WHICH model of 3135 ... if not a VR go for the 2836 which is a workhorse ...
Then open your watch, remove the movement, rework the CGs a bit (they are NOT that bad OOTB), put the movement back (without the hassle of swapping the DWO), enjoy.

Sounds like a great idea. Seriously considering a 16600 (it's the only 5 digit i want). 6 digit sport models are way too chunky personally.

What's a VR? A non-decorated 3135? Greenhorn here (owned a few reps and done some modding, but looking to get into actual hardcore/case modding)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Sounds like a great idea. Seriously considering a 16600 (it's the only 5 digit i want). 6 digit sport models are way too chunky personally.

What's a VR? A non-decorated 3135? Greenhorn here (owned a few reps and done some modding, but looking to get into actual hardcore/case modding)

There's a dedicated thread on RWI comparing the different 3135 clone movements ... SA, SH and VR, which is the most (only ?) reliable of all if I'm true ...
Sorry but I don't have a link so you'll have to do somesearching ...

About 6 digits I like some of them but my wrist is 16.5cm so I never wear anything chuncky ... apart from my DSSD because it's the first Rep I bought and my Hublot Big Bang Steel because it's a gift (and surprisingly looking smaller than it is because of the short lugs) ...

My 16600 is on my wrist again today ... definitely a nice daily beater ...

51b86ec49b5dae50d110217be11951aa.jpg

In a close (I hope) future I will order a second one, drill the lugs (but keep the bracelet with SELs), age it a little and build a Triple Six (16660) ...
But that will occur only if I achieve making the dial I want ... Mark III Spider Tritium dial without the hyphen between SEA and DWELLER ...
Sourcing a Gen one is way too expensive so my idea is to :
- start with a 16600 BP dial
- remove the markers
- erase all the printings
- make a cracked lacquer (still testing how to achieve that)
- reprint with Mark III design (design done)
- age the lume on markers (and hands)
- put the markers back in place
That'll be a looooonnng journey but at the end, if I succed, I'll have the luck to wear one of the most elegant and rare watches I've ever seen ...

a3faf9096155439303b0d60a1076418a.jpg

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

FragileExpressHP

15/12/18
There's a dedicated thread on RWI comparing the different 3135 clone movements ... SA, SH and VR, which is the most (only ?) reliable of all if I'm true ...
Sorry but I don't have a link so you'll have to do somesearching ...

About 6 digits I like some of them but my wrist is 16.5cm so I never wear anything chuncky ... apart from my DSSD because it's the first Rep I bought and my Hublot Big Bang Steel because it's a gift (and surprisingly looking smaller than it is because of the short lugs) ...

My 16600 is on my wrist again today ... definitely a nice daily beater ...

51b86ec49b5dae50d110217be11951aa.jpg

In a close (I hope) future I will order a second one, drill the lugs (but keep the bracelet with SELs), age it a little and build a Triple Six (16660) ...
But that will occur only if I achieve making the dial I want ... Mark III Spider Tritium dial without the hyphen between SEA and DWELLER ...
Sourcing a Gen one is way too expensive so my idea is to :
- start with a 16600 BP dial
- remove the markers
- erase all the printings
- make a cracked lacquer (still testing how to achieve that)
- reprint with Mark III design (design done)
- age the lume on markers (and hands)
- put the markers back in place
That'll be a looooonnng journey but at the end, if I succed, I'll have the luck to wear one of the most elegant and rare watches I've ever seen ...

a3faf9096155439303b0d60a1076418a.jpg

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

Ah the spider dials are amazing. I am too contemplating on how to do a spider dial as well. You have a pad printer/cliche done?

My theory goes somewhere like this:

1. Heat up dial using a hairdryer/oven
2. Apply a thin/thick(?) layer of nail polish or lacquer
3. Flash freeze the dial when its still warm in a freezer
4. Recoat with nail polish or lacquer
5. repeat steps 1-4 for extra cracks (or not)
6. Have a spider dial!

i think you probably have the same idea haha

obviously terrifying to do with a stock dial. Probably best to go sterile and go from there. unless the technique is perfected, then we can use actual dials.

i would love to try this out unfortunately i don't have a decent oven.

The cracks/crazing seem to be an expansion into contraction (folded inwards) rather than contraction into expansion.

i think if its done properly, we can even use blue-toned lacquer/nail polish to achieve some of the sick looking spider dials with blue reflections.

Last edited:

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
I love mine.

BPSD w/ SH 3135 with Gen barrel assembly and upgraded auto wind

Fully serviced and waterproofed by tickleshoes

Gen date wheel

TC hands

Hand picked BP dial.

TC bracelet.

WSO insert.

995a59332fb936a0559c68ee22aec30d.jpg

FragileExpressHP

15/12/18
I love mine.

BPSD w/ SH 3135 with Gen barrel assembly and upgraded auto wind

Fully serviced and waterproofed by tickleshoes

Gen date wheel

TC hands

Hand picked BP dial.

TC bracelet.

WSO insert.

995a59332fb936a0559c68ee22aec30d.jpg

Sick piece. Might consider the WSO insert myself. How does one hand pick dials? Order a bunch of spares and fix them on? Sorry for the noob question. Did a bit of search on RWI and I can’t pick out anything about hand picking and how to do it. No pun intended.

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
I have had my bp for some time now. I am between selling or upgrading this thing. One of the upgrades would be replacement of the hands or relume. Anyone experience with good replacement hands? Or just full relume?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

Reactions: ロベカル