• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best techique to spotless crystal?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've used every manner of cloth and cleaner to get a perfectly clean crystal. I can get 98% there but it usually takes 20-30 minutes as getting rid of one speck of dust often leaves two new ones. This is a huge waste of time, there has to be a better way.

I've also used compressed air, dust blower, rodico, you name it. Looking for new ideas! It especially a pain if the crystal is already installed.

I also have a glass pen, which is great for the outside but leaves smears on the inside.

O89z0.jpg

O8Mrq.jpg

O8sf6.jpg

Last edited:

Espacebeetle

Horology Curious
7/10/17
When I've done mine, I have assembled them in the bathroom after a showers been on. The steam will make any floating dust drop to the floor. Just wait for the steam to go or you will get moisture in the watch.
For cleaning the inside of the crystal, I used Demon Shine and a lint free cloth.
Use a led torch (I use a led lenser p7 which isn't too bright or dark) to check for dust as you assemble the parts and make sure to shine it at the parts at different angles.
It still took me a few attempts but I have no visable dust or marks in any lighting condition at any angle.

Good luck.

Reactions: watchboi and KJ2020

breitlingwatch

11/9/10
When I've done mine, I have assembled them in the bathroom after a showers been on. The steam will make any floating dust drop to the floor. Just wait for the steam to go or you will get moisture in the watch.
For cleaning the inside of the crystal, I used Demon Shine and a lint free cloth.
Use a led torch (I use a led lenser p7 which isn't too bright or dark) to check for dust as you assemble the parts and make sure to shine it at the parts at different angles.
It still took me a few attempts but I have no visable dust or marks in any lighting condition at any angle.

Good luck.

This helps keep dust at bay. It will keep it down any dust floating around the room. And then I use a lens cloth and it gets all the dust off.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Steam, Demon shine, lens cloth. Will give them a try. Thanks guys!