• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Daytona 116520 SS DIAL GUIDE / period variation study

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
I would be interested in the case drawings to show between the noob and the gen bro! I have seen quite a few people reshaped their case, but have no idea where to look. Thanks!

Mr.Marbella

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/16
EU
Thanks a lot. Bezel variation is less obvious but there are subtle differences between time periods. I will make a proper guide maybe next weekend.

Looking forward to see your build.

OH and by the way, to make this frankening guide complete I should also add what needs to be done to the noob case in order to make it acceptable at least.

I'm not saying I'm an expert but I can spot all noob based Frankens regardless of how many Gen parts they have just by looking at the case.

Arf case is bad as well. The old JF a23j case is better but that needs a lot of work as well.

I will make some drawings to explain what I mean if you guys are interested.

Would be great bro !

BTW thanks for this thread

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
This is awesome!!! Huge amount of work went into this guide!!!! Many thanks!

However, it seems that I‘m to stupid to catch little details.
I do have this dial and I know it’s a rather rare double tick, which was expensive. But not sure which one exactly... maybe someone can chime in.

7017454865151d1b881e1d33e0d1cc23.jpg

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
This is awesome!!! Huge amount of work went into this guide!!!! Many thanks!

However, it seems that I‘m to stupid to catch little details.
I do have this dial and I know it’s a rather rare double tick, which was expensive. But not sure which one exactly... maybe someone can chime in.

7017454865151d1b881e1d33e0d1cc23.jpg

Thank you ! That is most likely a 2003 dial

Reactions: mega12

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Spatiumtemporis Thank you for this thread. Should be a sticky if it isn’t already!

Thanks man.It's not sticky. My heart is broken :(

​​​​​​I have found some other subtle diff between some dials. I will post those when I have some time.

116520 is not that hot anymore. I should do the same for the new ceramic Daytona dails and inserts (if that hasn't been done already) . That would be much more helpful.

​​​​​

Reactions: 2many2choose

2many2choose

Known Member
17/8/16
Thanks man.It's not sticky. My heart is broken :(

​​​​​​I have found some other subtle diff between some dials. I will post those when I have some time.

116520 is not that hot anymore. I should do the same for the new ceramic Daytona dails and inserts (if that hasn't been done already) . That would be much more helpful.

​​​​​

Your work is fantastic! I am still waiting for an improved 116520 black dial...If they can make small subdials for the ceramic they can do it again.

Reactions: SuperLory

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
I need to update this. There are a few more dial variations I found in the meantime. Unfortunately it will make things more confusing and harder to correctly date a dial.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I need to update this. There are a few more dial variations I found in the meantime. Unfortunately it will make things more confusing and harder to correctly date a dial.

Eagerly looking forward to your case shaping guidelines. I have read so much about this topic on this form but no concrete guiadance has been provided to what exactly needs to be modded. I am hoping your diagrams will be very helpful.

BTW, this thread is very helpful, should be a sticky.

dewie1975

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/10/18
This is a fantastic resource and should be a sticky.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Raddave occb2 QueTip

Admins - Requesting that this thread be made a sticky. This probably the only 116520 dials thread with so much detailed information and pics

Reactions: dewie1975

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
So basically after reading this, even Noob dial could be “ok” cause you can just say: hey that year it was like that! :coax: